Tooves gone from 2016

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
On 360 last night, Tooves commented that he had plans for the future as far as coaching the team goes, and admits that a rebuild of some kind was going to happen (he was hoping with him leading the troops).

So considering that he even thought the team needed to be reshaped, a question for people - do you think he would have been the right person for that? Which I guess cuts to the the club feeling as though he was a coach who could lead an established team but not manage a rebuild.

Sure it doesn't really matter now, but just interested in peoples thoughts.

Unfortunately Tooves is the fall guy. The sad thing is that all he was really doing with not offering Gifty a contract was taking orders from those who were the majority owners at the time. I still think that if it was left up to Tooves, Gift would have got a contract and would still be here.
The smh article today sheds another light on Gifty. May help open the eyes of some Forum Posters as to what we locals knew.

The Stewarts, Watmough and Foran ran Tooves out for egotistical reasons, it's that simple.

Barrett will have Snake, Z and the Fultons in his head from next year - careful what you wish for... @:cool:

10 more wins are possible, if the ones with the blood on their hands want a Premiership more, than they want to continue to punish 2v for a perceived slight @:rolleyes:

#StrongerTogether

why do people still question Tooves coaching ability , I think his record has him around 6th, just below , Benne$$ ,Be$$yache , Ha$ler. McGuire and ,Robinson ....

On 360 last night, Tooves commented that he had plans for the future as far as coaching the team goes, and admits that a rebuild of some kind was going to happen (he was hoping with him leading the troops).

So considering that he even thought the team needed to be reshaped, a question for people - do you think he would have been the right person for that? Which I guess cuts to the the club feeling as though he was a coach who could lead an established team but not manage a rebuild.

Sure it doesn't really matter now, but just interested in peoples thoughts.
Yeah, a rebuild sounds more like a job for a coach like Trent Barrett, who has never lost a game coaching at NRL level.

Unfortunately Tooves is the fall guy. The sad thing is that all he was really doing with not offering Gifty a contract was taking orders from those who were the majority owners at the time. I still think that if it was left up to Tooves, Gift would have got a contract and would still be here.

If we re-signed Gift Tooves would have been sacked when the Penns took over anyway. I too think Tooves would have loved to find a way to fit him in our team but as you say he just did what he was told. Penns still referring to the past just goes to show they are not looking to the future as it would have made more sense to bring in Barrett as an assistant to learn especially considering you will be paying Toovey anyway. It was all about clearing out anything related to the Quantum side.

@Loobs mate i honestly think he deserved the chance to re-build. He had a coaching record to suggest it. The problem was he inherited a very good team with salary cap issues and until those players were moved on the club just couldn't re-generate especially in the forwards due to the best backline in the comp. This gets compounded when players like Gift and Choc are injured and weren't available for the finals last yr. We'll never get the chance to find out but as Tooves said it needed re-shaping and that probably meant getting players who think they are king s**t out of the club. Almost had them gone but Foz would be the biggest Grinner of them all. Thank god they got rid of him too.

TB will get everyones support because he is coaching Manly and he wasn't invloved in getting rid of Tooves just in the right place at the right time. But he will have to amass a very very good winning percentage to make the fans who think Tooves was hard done by understand/believe that the Penns weren't just knifing Tooves in the back.

Manly Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey pays price for Glenn Stewart's exit
Date July 29, 2015

• Geoff Toovey has paid the price for Glenn Stewart's departure from Manly despite the fact the veteran back-rower had previously asked the coach for a release from the club.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn revealed the "critical decision" not to offer Stewart a contract extension at the end of last season was one of the factors in Toovey being punted with a year remaining on his contract.

"There were decisions made last year [in regards to retention] that led to us performing not as we should have in the finals," Penn said at a press conference at Narrabeen on Wednesday. "And [the Stewart decision] was one of them."

While it has been widely reported that Stewart - who eventually signed with South Sydney - never wanted to leave Brookvale, Fairfax Media can reveal he sought permission to negotiate with other clubs while still under contract in 2013. The Sea Eagles, experiencing salary cap pressures at the time due to a raft of back-ended contracts, granted the request and Parramatta expressed interest in signing him.

However, the negotiations came to nought after then-Eels coach Ricky Stuart shifted to Canberra. Stewart subsequently agitated for a contract extension but, with Manly already over the salary cap to the tune of almost $300,000 at the time and officials mindful funds would be required when their star halves came onto the open market, didn't table an offer.

"That hasn't necessarily been the sole factor [in Toovey's demise], but that certainly did disrupt the playing group at that point in time," Penn said.

Asked if he felt Stewart's exit fast tracked his own demise, Toovey said: "I am sure it is all part of it. It's a decision that has been made. I have to accept it and move on. Lots of things happen in rugby league. It's a funny game and we just need to gel as best we can and get the results."

Toovey was diplomatic when grilled about his impending departure from a club to which he has devoted three decades. The Manly life member said a horror injury toll and the signing saga surrounding halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran were part of a "perfect storm" that conspired against the side. However, he refused to use speculation over his own future as an excuse for a string of losses that could result in Manly missing the finals for the first time in 11 years.

Toovey will be paid out his base wage of $350,000 for next year as part of his severance, although he won't be entitled to the bonus triggers - worth potentially up to $150,000 - after both parties agreed to a payout.

After beating the Warriors last weekend, Toovey could yet lead the Sea Eagles to an unlikely play-off appearance, although his side would likely need to win all their remaining matches. "All I can say is the club has made a decision, I have to live with that, we have come to an amicable agreement," Toovey said. "We just have to win matches, get to the semis and hopefully win the comp."

Penn said Toovey had been put on notice in March, while Sea Eagles CEO Joe Kelly publicly declared Toovey would fulfil his tenure the following month. Kelly said subsequent results were the reason for his backflip.

"I think things change and that was in round four of the competition leading into round five," Kelly said.

"At that point in time I certainly said those comments. At the end of the day, as Scott has already alluded to, we are a business, a results-driven organisation. Certainly the results haven't turned around since that point in time.

"Ultimately that was a comment made in a point in time and things have changed and hence we're moving in a new direction."

Stewart's brother, fullback Brett, refused to buy into what effect his sibling's exit played in Toovey's demise.

"I have been here 13 years and I don't think there has been a normal week yet," Stewart said. "This year has probably been a little more challenging than most. But when our backs are against the wall we seem to go pretty good."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...warts-exit-20150729-gin7hj.html#ixzz3hJwrUKiE

Seems a very petty evening of the score IMO. Gift was a great player and I certainly wished we hung onto him, but he hasn't exactly been good value for money over the last 2 years. I'm a firm believer that no player is bigger than the club, and the carry on and vendettas all because of Glenn not being offered a contract is pathetic and immature.

The whole thing is very strange. Tooves had a phenomenal record as a coach. Penn will have to sack Barrett if he doesn't make the 8 next year

And, isn't that what employees do? If a majority board decision says that Gifty goes, then he goes. Toovey does as he is told. Penn's problem at the time was that they didn't have the majority ,did not like the decision, and were hell bent on revenge. They should have stuck to playing Monopoly.

Toovey made the right call on G.Stewart. Stewart is a has-been, just like Watmough. He is not the player he was even two years ago, let alone the 2011 version.
yeah, but he's better than the duds we have now

I just can't believe they've admitted it.
We all put 2 & 2 together (even those who didn't want to believe it could still see it as an option) but it was just speculation. It could be written off as bias. Now, whether through honesty or a slip up they've admitted it. They're getting revenge for their little mafia being treated in a way they didn't believe was justified. The players sooking did cost us a minor premiership, not to mention a possible premiership.
I shudder to contemplate what these people are capable of. I just hope that they really do love the club above all else because we're in big trouble if they don't.

I just can't believe they've admitted it.
We all put 2 & 2 together (even those who didn't want to believe it could still see it as an option) but it was just speculation. It could be written off as bias. Now, whether through honesty or a slip up they've admitted it. They're getting revenge for their little mafia being treated in a way they didn't believe was justified. The players sooking did cost us a minor premiership, not to mention a possible premiership.
I shudder to contemplate what these people are capable of. I just hope that they really do love the club above all else because we're in big trouble if they don't.

Yep,we all guessed it, could never confirm it, but now we know it's true.

They are like children who couldn't get their way, this revenge deal was hatched by no doubt the Stewart's, their mate ZtH, $Forme, BoChocs and Mr Fluffy.

It cost us a minor Premiership, possibly a Premiership, and total and absolute chaos for 12 months.

Well I hope they are proud of themselves.

The sad thing for me is that I don't want Tooves' sacking to come back and haunt the club.

Deep down part of me thinks that it would be justice if Barrett failed and it would serve the Penn's, Zorba and Joe Kelly right (same if we go on to make the finals this year). But I simply do not want to see Manly going the way of Parra-doesn't-matta. I want us to be successful on and off the field and realistically that means that I want to see Barrett succeed as our coach.

I don't envy Trent Barrett. If he fails as our coach he is going to cop so much crap its not funny. But I don't think he really had much, if anything, to do with Tooves' sacking. He has signed with the club in good faith and I would imagine he has every intention of returning Manly to the top of the NRL ladder.

Yep,we all guessed it, could never confirm it, but now we know it's true.

They are like children who couldn't get their way, this revenge deal was hatched by no doubt the Stewart's, their mate ZtH, $Forme, BoChocs and Mr Fluffy.

It cost us a minor Premiership, possibly a Premiership, and total and absolute chaos for 12 months.

Well I hope they are proud of themselves.

I think ZTH has used the others as puppets to get back at the guy who didn't supprt him

I think ZTH has used the others as puppets to get back at the guy who didn't supprt him

Yes that too, this does go back to the " good sort " times.

The funny thing is Mr Fluffy was part of the board ( Chairman) that originally sacked ZtH and in fact delivered the ultimatum to Perry to do the sacking !!

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10