Toovey or Hasler..who is the best coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Toovey isnt in Hasler's shadow. Also, the team fell apart under Toovey last season as the they erupted in chaos off the field.

Also, Toovey just doesn't get his teams to lift in big games. Put it this way, Toovey won't be spoken about in rep circles.

For those that said Hasler inherited a team on the rise, that os BS. He grew the team from mediocrity, back into a heavy weight.

Tooveys doing the opposite as we.lose our heqvyweight status.

Ryan said:
Toovey isnt in Hasler's shadow. Also, the team fell apart under Toovey last season as the they erupted in chaos off the field.

Also, Toovey just doesn't get his teams to lift in big games. Put it this way, Toovey won't be spoken about in rep circles.

For those that said Hasler inherited a team on the rise, that os BS. He grew the team from mediocrity, back into a heavy weight.

So what is your solution Ryan? Other than Des.

manlyfan76 said:
Ryan said:

Other than Des? Toovey. Sure, he ain't in Des shadow, but he's the right fit for our team. I just think he needs to tweak some of his coaching style. Do I know what? Nope.

For starters, keep the players acting much more professional off the park. None of this anarchy crap we saw creep in in his first year, then become rampant last year.

I also think Toovey needs our team to adapt to the opposition. What I see is a very 2011, Des Hasler style of team, all in size, structure and game plan. Toovey needs to be innovate. He gets out coached, and out played by certain teams.

He's got a lot going for him. He's also got a lot of areas to improve. He's been in the role a short time, so am looking forward to seeing what he can do with a club that's balanced off the field. Hopefully that means you know....winning a final or two more than he does.

Ryan said:
manlyfan76 said:
Ryan said:

Other than Des? Toovey. Sure, he ain't in Des shadow, but he's the right fit for our team. I just think he needs to tweak some of his coaching style. Do I know what? Nope.

For starters, keep the players acting much more professional off the park. None of this anarchy crap we saw creep in in his first year, then become rampant last year.

I also think Toovey needs our team to adapt to the opposition. What I see is a very 2011, Des Hasler style of team, all in size, structure and game plan. Toovey needs to be innovate. He gets out coached, and out played by certain teams.

He's got a lot going for him. He's also got a lot of areas to improve. He's been in the role a short time, so am looking forward to seeing what he can do with a club that's balanced off the field. Hopefully that means you know....winning a final or two more than he does.

I think the two points about the team from above are both taken care of by losing so much of the old guard in Choc and Gift and King etc. one would expect the young guys will step up more this year both on and off the park. Which will reflect on 2V as bringing the team together but it is just the dynamics changing. Stronger Together.

Ryan said:

Is that a joke - the team had rising stars like Foran, Watmough, DCE, Stewarts by 2011 & Hasler added big names like Lyon ,Orford, Ben Kennedy, Brent Kite, Josh Perry in his early days.......before that he seemed average at best, with an average team.
When Tooves took the reins there was already disputes regarding back ended contracts & poaching players who were playing below par under pressure of their playing futures, not poor coaching.....
The 2008 win was the perfect STORM (parden the pun) but other teams had key injuries & suspensions & Manly had a full strength squad - it was simply our time - same story in 2011.
Has Toovey signed any STARS?? Not really - more been in the dogfight of keeping what we have & keep the peace of the rabble he was left.
Hasler no doubt had a super trait I almost respect- an ultra competitive nature - to win at all costs, but in the end it even overshadowed his loyalty.
Toovey has that exact quality with more vision for the game & does it for his passion of Manly - not himself.
Toovey will do me & against the odds, has done a great job.

maxta said:
Ryan said:

Is that a joke - the team had rising stars like Foran, Watmough, DCE, Stewarts by 2011 & Hasler added big names like Lyon ,Orford, Ben Kennedy, Brent Kite, Josh Perry in his early days.......before that he seemed average at best, with an average team.
When Tooves took the reins there was already disputes regarding back ended contracts & poaching players who were playing below par under pressure of their playing futures, not poor coaching.....
The 2008 win was the perfect STORM (parden the pun) but other teams had key injuries & suspensions & Manly had a full strength squad - it was simply our time - same story in 2011.
Has Toovey signed any STARS?? Not really - more been in the dogfight of keeping what we have & keep the peace of the rabble he was left.
Hasler no doubt had a super trait I almost respect- an ultra competitive nature - to win at all costs, but in the end it even overshadowed his loyalty.
Toovey has that exact quality with more vision for the game & does it for his passion of Manly - not himself.
Toovey will do me & against the odds, has done a great job.

Thumbs Up!

Tooves doesn't get the credit he deserves for a team and club in disarray. To take the reins in 2011 (for the 2012 season) when Dogler left and threatened to tear us apart, and to hold us together and pick up a 4th place!!?? Amazing achievement. The consensus was that the golden era was over.........looks like he's doing a pretty good job to me.

The myth of De$ just gets bigger and bigger because he's a 'nutty professor' or some rubbish. So suddenly a strange press conference gets conveyed as 'masterful Des' manipulating the media. Now I believe he does to an extent, but the media then overplay what a mastermind he is.

I think Manly's last years roster is, and was better than Hasler's. That's the difference between the two coaches.

Ryan said:
I think Manly's last years roster is, and was better than Hasler's. That's the difference between the two coaches.

Tooves, with a top 2 finish, it is then!!! Imagine what we could have achieved without the late-season injuries, that Des didn't have to contend with.

Take 4 of our starting pack out of 2011 team and we don't make it past week 2. A bit of perspective please.

manlyfan76 said:
PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
There wouldn't have been internal player rifts either if hasler was coach.

As he has proved in his time at the dogs.

When Ennis the menace left, things could have easily fallen apart. He's a huge part of that team. Who's there Hooker next season? Ridiculous how they can just afford to buy the second Morris twin.

A lot of valid arguments here.

Personally, I think player power has stymied the performance of Tooves thus far. It was a great effort to take the reins from Des, as there was a lot of mental scarring involved.

2015 will be a watershed year for Tooves, and I expect he will rise to the occasion.

Des has the runs on the board thus far though-it's in black and white fact.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:

At least from the senior group. But then there would have been a plethora of junior talent we currently have, already gone to other clubs as Des continued to load up on the older blokes. Either that or he moves into the murky world of stretching the Cap to fit them all...

Ryan said:
manlyfan76 said:
PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:

As he has proved in his time at the dogs.

When Ennis the menace left, things could have easily fallen apart. He's a huge part of that team. Who's there Hooker next season? Ridiculous how they can just afford to buy the second Morris twin.

Um The Barba Saga?

@Ryan

In 2011 with our backline more or less the same (I would argue better in 2011 than 2014 but anyway) we had a starting forward pack consisting of:-
8. J. Galuvao
9. M. Ballin
10. B. Kite
11. A Watmough
12. T Williams
13. G Stewart

You are kidding yourself if you think our 2014 team was better.

COMMANDER said:
Des, on the back of getting that Dogs team into a gf this year.

Sorry but the fact is that if not for referee incompetence (i.e. failing to call Grub Reynolds when he was at least 2-3 metres offside), then the Dogs wouldn't have even made the Prelim Final, let alone the Grand Final. Had the refs been doing their job Killer would have had a penalty from virtually right in front of the posts and as it was in golden point it would have been game over then and there. Not saying we would have won the GF even if we got past the Riff in the Prelim, but we definitely would have finished higher than the Scumdogs in the final wash up.

Put simply, the Dogs only finished higher than us this year because of a complete howler by the refs. And if not for our late season injuries Souffs would have had a much bigger fight on their hands.

Personally though, I don't really want to compare the two. IMO both are good coaches. Des won two premierships with Manly, but now he's gone. In Tooves we trust.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6