Trial updates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
David Williams produced the perfect return from injury, scoring a double in his first game in more than a year in Manly's 18-0 NRL trial victory over Cronulla.

"The Wolfman" opened the scoring with his first touch of the ball on Friday night when he pounced on a pin-point grubber from utility forward Terence Seuseu in the 11th minute.

Williams was in again 20 minutes into the second half, capitalising on some good lead-up work from Joe Galuvao to crash over and cap off the dream return.

But it was in the 35th minute that Williams' shoulder overcame its biggest test as he was crunched by two Cronulla enforcers, before bouncing up and high-fiving team-mates.

It was a welcome result for the former NSW and Australian representative who missed all of 2010 with successive shoulder injuries, coming through unscathed despite coming off in the 76th minute.

In a clinical performance, the Sea Eagles showed their depth in the halves when Toyota Cup star Gary Riccardi put a cross-field kick which was snared by winger Michael Oldfield in the 28th minute.

Utility back Scott Blanch produced two perfect first half sideline conversions to give the Sea Eagles a 12-0 lead at half-time.

Scott Blanch slotted another sideline conversion to put the Sea Eagles further ahead.

Cronulla halfback Chad Townsend attempted to spark his team with an cheeky grubber and regather but his pass went to ground and the Sea Eagles were again out of jail.

Both teams brought out their strongest lineups in the second half and the Sharks improved tenfold, with Anthony Tupou and centre Colin Best running riot down the left flank.

A beefed up Albert Kelly caused headaches up the middle but the Sharks were unable to convert opportunities.

For Manly, Anthony Watmough ran with gusto but with a loose carry, while Tony Williams showed he hasn't lost his customary fend in the off-season - at one point sending two Cronulla defenders flying across the Brookvale turf.

For Manly, Anthony Watmough ran with gusto but with a loose carry,

Looks like some things aren't going to change this year

Choc did his usual 2 drops of the ball.  Riccardi looked pretty good in the first half and Cunningham looks likely, had a couple of strong runs.  Really it was just a typical trial, nothing much to report or take from it.  Just blowing out some cobwebs and the boys getting some match fitness.

I was with DSM5 and SER8 at the game - The roving reporter was scribbling furiously and muttering to himself about deadlines so stay tuned for his report.

That said, there was some mention that he had scored an exclusive at some cricketers place in Melbourne so who knows...

As you could get into the stands for free there were a lot of people seated. The hill was quite full for a trial match.

The game was an error fest by both sides. Manly's defence held out for what seemed forever in the third quarter after the regular squad came on. Sharks were camped in our half.

The last quarter was better but both sides were producing clouds of rust on nearly every play. Most notably Dropmough who obviously had been applying hair gel & forgot to wash his hands.

Not sure what to make of the team efforts on either side except we need a fee more trial matches.

Lat year this match was at Shark Park & we looked a lot sharper.

It was great to be back at Brooky. Nothing has changed & the pies are still cold.
:)

vidmar link said:
I was with DSM5 and SER8 at the game - The roving reporter was scribbling furiously and muttering to himself about deadlines so stay tuned for his report.

That said, there was some mention that he had scored an exclusive at some cricketers place in Melbourne so who knows...
Yes, I was slightly disappointed in my own performance, intensity was a bit down. Too much alcohol over xmas? Vidmar also seems to have lost a lot of decibels over the off-season, but I'm sure he'll be hitting his straps at the right time. DSM5 was too flippant, but it was only a trial, so to shake out the cobwebs it was a reasonable effort all round, better things to come no doubt... ;D

Hopefully the dead grass on the hill is from Dessie running the big,tired forwards from 2010 up and down it...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7