Vlandy's adds new team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Let me rephrase here.

I dont mind conferences for the draw. But hate the finals idea.

If you were to go the conference route Id keep the current finals system with a slight tweak.

Instead of 1v4 and 2v3 you have 1v2 and 1v2 from each conference as your top 4. Then 3v4 and 3v4 as the bottom 4 of the top 8.

Exact same system from there

The proposed draw based on conferences makes sense. However the proposed finals system is just a ruse to ensure that there are not two Sydney teams in the grand final.

We don't need Melbourne making the grand final every year because that's what will happen with the proposed finals system. The two best teams should always be in the grand final regardless of which conference they are from. This is the NRL trying yo to give the Brisbane sides a leg up. At present we have 3 Queensland sides in the competition
Gold Coast 7th (Unlikely to make the 8)
Cowboys 12th (Unlikely to make the 8)
Broncos 15th (Chance at a second wooden spoon)

The NRL are panicking at the prospect of no Queensland sides in the finals and not making a grand final in the foreseeable future..

Again making important decisions that affect the fabric of the game for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Imagine never being able to see a Manly v Parra GF again... or Manly v Dogs... or Manly v Souths...

I think this is a terrible idea that will ruin the fabric of the game... the Sydney clubs will be supplementing the travel costs of the other clubs and will have a significant advantage attracting older, experienced players because of the reduced travel demands...

increased rivalry during the season but never in the big dance??!! Who the f*ck thinks that is a good idea...?

The finals system needs to be re-thought at the VERY least...
Exactly, most rivalries find their epicentre in the GF. If Manly and Parra didn’t play in the GFs together their rivalry would be more of a tiff.

I long...yes I said it...”long” for a Manly v Parra GF where we beat them on the buzzer. Don’t crush my dreams damn it!

A conference final is no substitute for that.

Last edited:
Imagine never being able to see a Manly v Parra GF again... or Manly v Dogs... or Manly v Souths...

I think this is a terrible idea that will ruin the fabric of the game... the Sydney clubs will be supplementing the travel costs of the other clubs and will have a significant advantage attracting older, experienced players because of the reduced travel demands...

increased rivalry during the season but never in the big dance??!! Who the f*ck thinks that is a good idea...?

The finals system needs to be re-thought at the VERY least...

I thought I'd never get used to that 'over here' and thought it was terrible.

Never get a nucks v flames final!!! How do I go on!?!?!

But, I was surprised how quickly I got used to it. All the 'rivalry hate' goes into the divisional battles.

That said, there's 31 teams in the nhl spread from Vancouver to Florida so it's vastly different to the nrl, and like you, I have grave doubts it'd be better for the game of nrl.

Not having a nucks v flames nhl 'grand' final series, I'm ok with, not seeing Manly v Parra in a GF.... I think would be disastrous.

So ok for nhl and nfl

Bad for nrl

Will each conference be financed diffeently due to travel. What about TV . Will one recieve more tv games or will sydney see different games,thus affecting the draw.

The tv deal will be very interesting, will the roostersor parrabe the new broncos in sydney. Will each conference have its own squad of refs ?

I find it interesting the perspectives here as normally I hate change and love an opportunity to think I know better than the NRL! I’m surprised at the conservatism, to be honest.

Sure, never seeing a Manly v Parra GF again would be disappointing for some (not for me as I was born in the 80s and didn’t get to witness the rivalry), but what’s the statistical probability of a Manly v Parra GF or Manly v any team? 0.5%?

With more than 40% of the comp out of Sydney, and potentially 50% with expansion, it makes complete sense for the NRL to look at this type of conference system. I’m all for it, assuming 18 teams and an even 9 in Sydney and 9 out of town team split.

Another 13 mil or so [ x 2 ] based on normal N R L club allocation needed so presumably that has been taken into account . Maybe the N R L is anticipating some better broadcasting or ratings benefits but this could be problematical as well . Better then just a complete split for an entire season but still more negatives then positives for my liking

Another 13 mil or so [ x 2 ] based on normal N R L club allocation needed so presumably that has been taken into account . Maybe the N R L is anticipating some better broadcasting or ratings benefits but this could be problematical as well . Better then just a complete split for an entire season but still more negatives then positives for my liking
I reckon they think they can get bigger crowds to the Sydney games and better ratings on TV??
After all the Broncos and Nth Qld crowds will show up no matter who they are playing...

I reckon they think they can get bigger crowds to the Sydney games and better ratings on TV??
After all the Broncos and Nth Qld crowds will show up no matter who they are playing...
No doubt part of the reasoning whether accurate or not . Also heard one comment this morning in that there are apparently many non Queensland based club fans who regularly attend matches in Brisbane , Townsville , Robina and again who support their respective non Queensland based teams . Hard to see them rocking up to just Queensland based sides on a regular basis . Obviously the N R L are just putting it out there as a proposal and subsequent public reaction , have to get two other additional and viable club franchises first .

No doubt part of the reasoning whether accurate or not . Also heard one comment this morning in that there are apparently many non Queensland based club fans who regularly attend matches in Brisbane , Townsville , Robina and again who support their respective non Queensland based teams . Hard to see them rocking up to just Queensland based sides on a regular basis . Obviously the N R L are just putting it out there as a proposal and subsequent public reaction , have to get two other additional and viable club franchises first .
Titans often have as many or more away fans at their home games.
When nz visit its 1:4
But it is a fast growing region through people moving there. I believe they are re-engaging with greass roots again so the growth of fans will come. @susan would know more on that front.

Personally - I really like it. Need to evolve or die.

I don't like the finals series. I would do a top 4 (as they suggested)

But instead of a 'conference final' I would do semi's across the two conferences, splitting up the teams so it is possible for the top two in one conference to meet in the GF

I like the idea of 2 conferences, the more Sydney derbies the better,
Finals, I'd go 1st place in each conference make it, then the best 6 after that

If it’s not broken why try and fix it ??

The only thing that’s broken is the stupid draw, yeah I get there can’t be a home and away for each side but it’s terrible , every year.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10