Vlandy's adds new team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
If it’s not broken why try and fix it ??

The only thing that’s broken is the stupid draw, yeah I get there can’t be a home and away for each side but it’s terrible , every year.
Is Vlandy's a Wog feathered friend ? I think he is Greek like me

I find it interesting the perspectives here as normally I hate change and love an opportunity to think I know better than the NRL! I’m surprised at the conservatism, to be honest.

Sure, never seeing a Manly v Parra GF again would be disappointing for some (not for me as I was born in the 80s and didn’t get to witness the rivalry), but what’s the statistical probability of a Manly v Parra GF or Manly v any team? 0.5%?

With more than 40% of the comp out of Sydney, and potentially 50% with expansion, it makes complete sense for the NRL to look at this type of conference system. I’m all for it, assuming 18 teams and an even 9 in Sydney and 9 out of town team split.
All I took out of that is the subtext: you called me old!

All I took out of that is the subtext: you called me old!
Oh yeah, anyone that remembers anything of substance from the 80s is old af.... lol. Just joking, of course, but it has been nearly 40 years since the Manly v Parra grand finals so I don't find the argument that the proposed change in finals format will deny some nostalgia compelling.

For the record, I was born in '83 and the only thing I can remember from the 80's is 'Catch-it' branded shorts. They were rad. Oh, and I had a shaved head with a rat's tail in Year 1. (Notwithstanding that I grew up in Woy Woy, rat's tails were/are never cool, let alone on a ranga.)

Oh yeah, anyone that remembers anything of substance from the 80s is old af.... lol. Just joking, of course, but it has been nearly 40 years since the Manly v Parra grand finals so I don't find the argument that the proposed change in finals format will deny some nostalgia compelling.

For the record, I was born in '83 and the only thing I can remember from the 80's is 'Catch-it' branded shorts. They were rad. Oh, and I had a shaved head with a rat's tail in Year 1. (Notwithstanding that I grew up in Woy Woy, rat's tails were/are never cool, let alone on a ranga.)
The argument is compelling to those who find value in this particular rivalry. We each come to love the game for different reasons or the same reasons in differing degrees. That is unique to each of us, so there is no right or wrong response to whether someone wants this change to go ahead or not. I am more concerned with rule changes that directly impacts the on-field product, rather than structural changes that frame the game.

I am a big NBA fan, and I am quite used to the conference structure; however, even the US commentators and fans lament the two best teams rarely meeting each other in the finals given the western conference has been the dominant conference for some time.

As for the ranga rats tail - mate, that deserves an avatar all of its own. Ditch the BK baldy business and fly the flag of the red ratty!

The argument is compelling to those who find value in this particular rivalry. We each come to love the game for different reasons or the same reasons in differing degrees. That is unique to each of us, so there is no right or wrong response to whether someone wants this change to go ahead or not. I am more concerned with rule changes that directly impacts the on-field product, rather than structural changes that frame the game.

I am a big NBA fan, and I am quite used to the conference structure; however, even the US commentators and fans lament the two best teams rarely meeting each other in the finals given the western conference has been the dominant conference for some time.

As for the ranga rats tail - mate, that deserves an avatar all of its own. Ditch the BK baldy business and fly the flag of the red ratty!
I am with you on being more concerned about rule changes, particularly when they are made during the season and without proper trialing.

I've gotten into the NBA these last few years, and watch pretty much every 76ers game. Who do you follow?

I couldn't find a picture of a ranga rat's tail, but the closest I could find is a picture of the lead singer from The Chats. He is just a skinnier version of a teenage me.

I would rather each team play each other just once and then have a random draw for the remaining games than have a conference system that runs the risk of having the best teams not even playing in the GF.
Even a odds even draw for the final rounds anything but this.

I am with you on being more concerned about rule changes, particularly when they are made during the season and without proper trialing.

I've gotten into the NBA these last few years, and watch pretty much every 76ers game. Who do you follow?

I couldn't find a picture of a ranga rat's tail, but the closest I could find is a picture of the lead singer from The Chats. He is just a skinnier version of a teenage me.
Sadly, I am a Pistons fan. Not much to celebrate over recent years. At least we have shed the big contracts and are starting our rebuild around a core of young players with real upside. Still, I suspect they are a few years away from finals.

The 76ers are a real shot in the East this year along with Brooklyn. I expect to see them in the conference finals; although, Brooklyn have too much in the armory I fear.

"journos" can't have a discussion about anything footy related....

without snide digs at Manly.

Manly fans may famously travel like milk, but there’s more chance of drawing them out of their beloved peninsula to watch Tom Trbojevic face off with James Tedesco at the brand new footy stadium in Moore Park than there is of them travelling up the M1 to watch the Knights.

gfy

"journos" can't have a discussion about anything footy related....

without snide digs at Manly.

Manly fans may famously travel like milk, but there’s more chance of drawing them out of their beloved peninsula to watch Tom Trbojevic face off with James Tedesco at the brand new footy stadium in Moore Park than there is of them travelling up the M1 to watch the Knights.

gfy
Not true I prefer to go to gosford or Newcastle over the sfs or west.

I love the conference system for competitions with 30+ teams it's the best way to preserve local rivalries that would otherwise be at risk of only playing each other once every few years.

At 16 teams we are along way off needing a conference system. First goal should be getting to 20+ teams with each team playing each other once (15+ years away).

Once we get to 26-28 teams (won't happen in my lifetime) then a conference system becomes an option.

Imagine never being able to see a Manly v Parra GF again... or Manly v Dogs... or Manly v Souths...

I think this is a terrible idea that will ruin the fabric of the game... the Sydney clubs will be supplementing the travel costs of the other clubs and will have a significant advantage attracting older, experienced players because of the reduced travel demands...

increased rivalry during the season but never in the big dance??!! Who the f*ck thinks that is a good idea...?

The finals system needs to be re-thought at the VERY least...
New Zealand has one pretty ordinary team so why give them another one which is going to further dilute the playing talent there

Another stupid idea by Vlandys and co

A typical CEO who wants to come in and change everything so as to leave his mark, good or bad, on the game

He wants to go down in history Flames more like it

I know it is all about TV revenue but the base of rugby league support is about rivalries and that is no more obvious on this site through so many hate threads. Teams not playing a rival team all year takes away a hell of a lot of what RL supporters want, crave, need.

The other main thing is being able to watch YOUR team play at their cultural home. This is fundamental in growing the game!
How many teams do we not play at home even this year? It will be far more under a conference system.

The NRL need to work out a system where the fans can watch their team play every other team at home...maybe a rotational thing... probably over 3 years.

If they use a conference system then it cannot be split into Sydney/Others draws as the above could never happen. The 2 conferences need to be a mixture of Sydney and Others so that a yearly rotation would make what the supporters want happen.

Play teams in your conference both home and away and then have the top 4 teams and bottom 4 teams from each conference play eachother home and away...then the finals.

Last edited:
the stupid thing is you add 2 teams. conferences of 9 means a bye each week per conference so no extra game . maybe overall but still 8 games a weekend. did some one do the foody maff.

maybe we are going to have one threesome each week to attract a different fan base . wont that fly in the face of the stand down rule. could play for the De Bellen cup

I know it is all about TV revenue but the base of rugby league support is about rivalries and that is no more obvious on this site through so many hate threads. Teams not playing a rival team all year takes away a hell of a lot of what RL supporters want, crave, need.

The other main thing is being able to watch YOUR team play at their cultural home. This is fundamental in growing the game!
How many teams do we not play at home even this year? It will be far more under a conference system.

The NRL need to work out a system where the fans can watch their team play every other team at home...maybe a rotational thing... probably over 3 years.

If they use a conference system then it cannot be split into Sydney/Others draws as the above could never happen. The 2 conferences need to be a mixture of Sydney and Others so that a yearly rotation would make what the supporters want happen.

Play teams in your conference both home and away and then have the top 4 teams and bottom 4 teams from each conference play eachother home and away...then the finals.
Love the idea of a 3 stage season. Every team could play each other once, then split the comp in 2. Top 8 and bottom 8 play each other once. Have a wild card weekend with 7v10 and 8v9 followed by an 8 team finals series. Fits the same number of teams and rounds as we have now and allows for SOO to be played on standalone weekends.

the stupid thing is you add 2 teams. conferences of 9 means a bye each week per conference so no extra game . maybe overall but still 8 games a weekend. did some one do the foody maff.

maybe we are going to have one threesome each week to attract a different fan base . wont that fly in the face of the stand down rule. could play for the De Bellen cup
The bye teams could play each other.

Don't like this NRL proposal. It is not in Manly's interest to play every year at the home ground of each Sydney club. The stats since 1947 show that. Manly seem to have a better away record vs the non-Sydney teams, but I've not looked at the records to confirm it.

Also don't like the proposed finals. Seems a bit Sydney centric if it will always end with a Sydney team in the grand final every year. Sounds like it would make a good part of a deal with the NSW govt to get more funding.

I like the idea of conferences, but not this version.

With 18 teams there's no way to have anything other than 2 conferences though, unless they follow the NFL with uneven conferences. Can't see that happening.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10