Walker upgraded, Green to be extended beyond 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
DCE could be an even better 5/8. He's switched to that position before, especially when Foran was with Manly.
Thurston, Cronk, Maloney, Morgan etc. can both positions well.
Cherry has never played 6 for manly never, Cronk has always played Halfback. Thurston has always been a halfback, he might have had a 6 on his back but he has always been 7. Maloney is always a 6, just like Morgan, a number change doesnt mean a thing, they dont change their position on the field. If DCE moves to 6 it means he is less involved, and we dont need that, he needs to be touching the ball all the time.

5/8, halfback.........

Most of the time its just left and right side of the ruck

Like, lock second-row and prop.............basically just edge forward and middle forward

Cherry has never played 6 for manly never, Cronk has always played Halfback. Thurston has always been a halfback, he might have had a 6 on his back but he has always been 7. Maloney is always a 6, just like Morgan, a number change doesnt mean a thing, they dont change their position on the field. If DCE moves to 6 it means he is less involved, and we dont need that, he needs to be touching the ball all the time.
I honestly feel dce is playing the role of a 5/8 at the moment for us. He only gets involved when he needs to, and greeny generally has the call in hand more. Don't know how this is supported statistically although I feel this just from observation

If this is true, it's not the worst thing to happen, the team needs continuity and if we keep Blake Green beyond the 18 season it is perfect to let Tom Wright develop further before introducing him into first grade. The club needs stability after a few years of turbulence and TB has provided that. I just hope the club extends his contract soon. I do suspect this salary cap investigation is the big reason for the delay and the fact that we are waiting with baited breath about whether we will be sanctioned by Greenturds NRL.

If someone could acquire say a good prop & Thompson, on top of our existing core, we'd be looking pretty solid, but it would be a relatively settled roster for the 1st time in quite a while. Two changes is more than enough in the off-season.

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. NEW Prop
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lewis Brown
15. Darcy Lussick
16. Addin Fonua-Blake
17. Frank Winterstein

To me, that challenges for a premiership.

Every Half needs a halves partner who complements them perfectly, who does one half of the workload. Greens half is organizing and getting us in positions to put on points e.g. Most forced drop outs, most 40/20s (and 40/20 kicks are not easy to produce, he got 2 in one game shows how his kicking game is), and his job is also to allow cherry to his job, which is to create points through his running game, on top of that Cherry also has an amazing passing game/selection and kicking game. Green and Cherry are a great combo and easily in that top 5 bracket. As for him going missing in the last 20 mins what a joke mate he closed out some really tight games for us just winding down the clock with his great kicks e.g. Against newcastle. No running game? How does score his tries then? He takes on the line and supports our speed men. Bad passing and bad kicks? He laid on plenty of tries for us this year. As for him being slow, what does it matter!? His job isnt to be running all the time you silly person.

All you are doing is picking a handful of isolated incidents to make a highlight reel!!
But that is basically it, there is nothing else!!!

Just IMAGINE how good DCE and the team could be if we had a 5/8 who was also an attacking and creative threat.................so oppositions would need to focus on 2 guys instead of just 1!!

Hang on, no need to imagine, rewind DCE/Foran!! Moylan would have given us so much!

People advocating for Green are advocating for mediocrity!

For me it's sad because we aren't far off competing from a premiership................a quality 5/8, another strong forward and an outside back.
It seems the idea of a quality 5/8 has now been binned!

If someone could acquire say a good prop & Thompson, on top of our existing core, we'd be looking pretty solid, but it would be a relatively settled roster for the 1st time in quite a while. Two changes is more than enough in the off-season.

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. NEW Prop
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lewis Brown
15. Darcy Lussick
16. Addin Fonua-Blake
17. Frank Winterstein

To me, that challenges for a premiership.
I agree, Moylan wasn't really that much of an upgrade of green (at 5/8, proven to be a brilliant player in the backline though), so not signing him isn't a bad thing. Thompson would be absolutely outstanding to get and Moley is confident that we've got a big chance of snaring him. We get him and as you said a good starting prop and we can certainly challenge for a premiership. Siro is great, winterstein is decent, neither made many metres although imo Siro is one of the most important players to have on the field. However, we need one second rower to make metres, Thompson would be that man, good defender as well

If this is true, it's not the worst thing to happen, the team needs continuity and if we keep Blake Green beyond the 18 season it is perfect to let Tom Wright develop further before introducing him into first grade. The club needs stability after a few years of turbulence and TB has provided that. I just hope the club extends his contract soon. I do suspect this salary cap investigation is the big reason for the delay and the fact that we are waiting with baited breath about whether we will be sanctioned by Greenturds NRL.

So based on keeping Green ................and waiting for Wright..............what are your aspirations for 2018?

A lot of people on here said they were just happy to make the 8 in 2017................so is that again the best case scenario?
Scrape into the 8 and bomb out week 1?

So based on keeping Green ................and waiting for Wright..............what are your aspirations for 2018?

A lot of people on here said they were just happy to make the 8 in 2017................so is that again the best case scenario?
Scrape into the 8 and bomb out week 1?
We have weaknesses that need to be addressed by shrewd recruitment, we are a team on the rise and Green will give Manly the continuity that we need in 2018, especially if we lose DCE around origin time. This year was an achievement with where we started and to repeat that with the current squad would be a good result.

If you where able to create a VORP or WAR like metric for league, I don't think it would prove Moylan is worth 900K a year more than Green, especially when you consider where else that money could be spent...

His value to us is far more than a statistical calculation.
If you believe (as I do), he is one of the final pieces to gain a premiership, then the statistical calculation is redundant.

I would simplify the valuation .........

Chances of winning the premiership with Green v Chances of winning the premiership with Moylan
My view;
Green (20%) v Moylan (80%)
So right now, Moylan is worth 4 times as much as Green TO MANLY (not generally, but at this point in time and where the team is at)
(could also be 15% to 60%, same scenario)

There's your $900k

Last edited:
We have weaknesses that need to be addressed by shrewd recruitment, we are a team on the rise and Green will give Manly the continuity that we need in 2018, especially if we lose DCE around origin time. This year was an achievement with where we started and to repeat that with the current squad would be a good result.

OK just to be clear........IM GOING OFF not at him being here in 2018 but the fact we are talking about an extension past 2018!!!
That's what the article suggested.

But also basically you are resigned to the fact that we are a mid table team next year?

(p.s. its highly unlikely DCE pays origin unless there are injuries. I'm a massive DCE fan but even I wouldn't pick him over the other options QLD have)

Our premiership halves pairings
Half/five eighth
Ward/I Martin
Mayes/I Martin
Stephens/Thompson
S Martin/Thompson
Hasler/Lyons
Toovey/Lyons
Orford/Lyon
DCE/Foran

Lends some weight to the theory we need 2 very good halves to win the Comp.

Personally I think Green is good enough to win a grand final, depends on the rest of the side around him (remembering he was only one Fifita surge away from being a premiership winner last year).

Our premiership halves pairings
Half/five eighth
Ward/I Martin
Mayes/I Martin
Stephens/Thompson
S Martin/Thompson
Hasler/Lyons
Toovey/Lyons
Orford/Lyon
DCE/Foran

Lends some weight to the theory we need 2 very good halves to win the Comp.

Personally I think Green is good enough to win a grand final, depends on the rest of the side around him (remembering he was only one Fifita surge away from being a premiership winner last year).

Key point ..............."depends on the rest of the side around him"

He had Cronk, Smith, Munster, Chambers and 2 decent wingers around him.

And Smith basically is the other play maker at Melbourne, regardless who is wearing 6
(and they have gone to becoming almost unbeatable with Munster ( a REAL player) at 6 this year)

OK just to be clear........IM GOING OFF not at him being here in 2018 but the fact we are talking about an extension past 2018!!!
That's what the article suggested.

But also basically you are resigned to the fact that we are a mid table team next year?

(p.s. its highly unlikely DCE pays origin unless there are injuries. I'm a massive DCE fan but even I wouldn't pick him over the other options QLD have)
Blake Green plays to his strengths well. He is no Thurston but he is pretty steady.

It is hard to judge 2018, without knowing what the recruitment is for next season, the finals achievement this season was amazing when you consider the handicap of not being able to use two club legends due to the NRL not budging on cap dispensation. Mid-table would have been acceptable and an improvement of the 13th place and 8 wins of last season. A repeat of that with the current squad would be good, if the recruitment is good we could go a lot higher. I am being realistic about where the team is right now.

Until we know the outcome of the salary cap investigation it is all speculation and academic. Hopefully, we will know the outcome of that soon.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8