Walker upgraded, Green to be extended beyond 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Have the people who are pleased with Green's extension been watching the full 80 minutes of every Manly game this season.....?

People keep quoting stats .........most forced line drop outs (what 20+?) , a few 40/20s in a season of 24 games.....................

What about the countless poor kicks he put in, and there were plenty ...and many at critical times.....when we were chasing games and needed repeat sets.
He is pretty much AWOL in the last 20 minutes of every game.
He can't tackle.
He hasn't got much of a running game, he hasn't got much of a passing game, he's on the slow side of slow, everything he does is pretty predictable.

Seems many fans have decided that DCE needs someone to hold his hand and that someone is Green!!
Where does that come from?

DCE & Foran were the best half combination in the game!
Sure, Walker didn't work out, but that was all about Walker and not much about DCE needing a f***ing guide dog!

I cant believe Manly (or anyone else) think Green should have a place in the team after 2018!!!

Anyway that's my daily rant!@:mad:
I've been drinking.
Every Half needs a halves partner who complements them perfectly, who does one half of the workload. Greens half is organizing and getting us in positions to put on points e.g. Most forced drop outs, most 40/20s (and 40/20 kicks are not easy to produce, he got 2 in one game shows how his kicking game is), and his job is also to allow cherry to his job, which is to create points through his running game, on top of that Cherry also has an amazing passing game/selection and kicking game. Green and Cherry are a great combo and easily in that top 5 bracket. As for him going missing in the last 20 mins what a joke mate he closed out some really tight games for us just winding down the clock with his great kicks e.g. Against newcastle. No running game? How does score his tries then? He takes on the line and supports our speed men. Bad passing and bad kicks? He laid on plenty of tries for us this year. As for him being slow, what does it matter!? His job isnt to be running all the time you silly person.

I think this is the best scenario personally. We can up grade walker, hopefully sign Thompson and spend the cash in the forwards, especially up front is where we need to sign marque players going forward into 2018, 2019.

Just look at the two forward packs in the teams which made the grand final. Arguably best in comp, with the roosters.

Green did a great job last year, no world beater but only on 300k and complimented DCE and the team. We have a few young guns which are coming through, but wont be ready for another 1-2 years, Green in the interim will do a good job.

Moylan is going to cost upwards of 1.2 million - at least 900k in the cap

From the article:
Also complicating the pursuit of Moylan is the fact he has a $250,000-a-year registered third-party deal in place that is unlikely to be transferred to another club.

This is how TPAs are a rort, if a TPA purports to tie a player to a certain club then it should be recognised for what it is - as part of his contract - and included in the salary cap.

I may be wrong but I thought the rule was that the NRL can/will only approve a player's TPA's if those supplying the TPA were still prepared to pay that player should they happen to change clubs mid-contract.

How does Moylan, or anyone else (looking at you Brisbane), have a TPA approved by the NRL that is only recognised if the player stays at a certain club? What you are saying is essentially correct @SeaEagleRock8 and that $250,000 TPA should be seen as part of his contract if it is only to be paid if Moylan plays with Penrith.

And that being the case, how can the NRL then determine correctly if a club is or isn't over the salary cap?

the bongos would go bust

Bingo bongo.

Moylan is not worth anywhere near the money his manager and club are asking. I'm pleased we have dropped out, and I can't imagine any other suitors for him at that asking price.
There are a number of scenarios for our roster next season:
1. Hastings steps up and becomes our half and goal-kicker, with DCE moving to 5/8. Having a reliable goal kicker is imperative.
2. Wright and/or Cust are given a chance to prove they are up to first grade standard in the halves.
3. We retain the DCE/Green combo which helped us reach No. 6 this season. That's not a bad option!
4. We sign up our Holden Cup team as I'm sure several of them will break into first grade next season.
5. We continue to pick up cheap and promising discards, such as Jack Rabbit.
6. We retain a significant amount of money from our salary cap for mid-season purchases. There are astute buys that occur during the season and the club needs to have the space under the cap to fit them in.
In my opinion we should avoid the 'quick fix' that Gen X/Ys want and not pay overs for 'star' players. We already have our own star players who need to be well paid, but let's cultivate from within and use the salary cap wisely.

Good news, if true.

Moylan is way overpriced, given we have a big money half already.
We can spend those $ better elsewhere.

And a transfer fee on top, no thanks.
I heard it was somewhere near 900K plus 250K transfer fee (not included in cap) additional to that. So if that's the case let's just buy a proven 5/8. Moylan is a brilliant player and I'd love to have him although that's too much to pay for a risk when we could just retain our (imo) proven 5/8

My only issue with Green is that he isn't completely long-term due to his age although we could get some years out of him and then have time to find a good replacement

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong but I thought the rule was that the NRL can/will only approve a player's TPA's if those supplying the TPA were still prepared to pay that player should they happen to change clubs mid-contract.

How does Moylan, or anyone else (looking at you Brisbane), have a TPA approved by the NRL that is only recognised if the player stays at a certain club? What you are saying is essentially correct @SeaEagleRock8 and that $250,000 TPA should be seen as part of his contract if it is only to be paid if Moylan plays with Penrith.

And that being the case, how can the NRL then determine correctly if a club is or isn't over the salary cap?

I think the TPA would have to be linked to the panthers in some regards. The panthers would of been the ones organising for a TPA to get on board and support one of their players and their club right?

Bingo bongo.

Clubs can guarantee 300k TPAs outside of the Cap, but must still be submitted to the NRL.

From 2018
NRL & Clubs have agreed to

- The salary cap has been set at $9.4 million, a $9.1 million base figure with a $100,000 car allowance and a $200,000 veteran/development player option.

- The NRL still needs the green light from the RLPA who are expected to approve of the proposal.

- The $200,000 veteran/development player sum can be spent on either a veteran who has spent eight or more seasons at the club or a development player contracted to his current club for two or more continuous years before they are handed their first NRL contract.
The development player is only eligible for the payout up to the age of 22.

- Every club is allowed three to six development players outside the top 30 NRL squad with a price of $60,000 per player.

For the first time there will be a BoH or Admin cap put on clubs of approx. $5.7M.

Interesting foot note any coach payouts will go towards the $5.7M

Last edited:
I heard it was somewhere near 900K plus 200K transfer fee (not included in cap) additional to that. So if that's the case let's just buy a proven 5/8. Moylan is a brilliant player and I'd love to have him although that's too much to pay for a risk when we could just retain our (imo) proven 5/8

My only issue with Green is that he isn't completely long-term due to his age although we could get some years out of him and then have time to find a good replacement
If you where able to create a VORP or WAR like metric for league, I don't think it would prove Moylan is worth 900K a year more than Green, especially when you consider where else that money could be spent...

The Moylan deal was never going to happen. I said it when the rumour first broke and my contact at the Riff has been adamant the whole time. If Manly thought they were in with a chance to get him they were simply being led down the garden path.

The Moylan deal was never going to happen. I said it when the rumour first broke and my contact at the Riff has been adamant the whole time. If Manly thought they were in with a chance to get him they were simply being led down the garden path.
I reckon if Penrith put a transfer fee on to shy away potential buyers of Moylan there must've been a few clubs vying for him. Manly must've had a chance but once that was announced they must've realised that he is just not worth that much

Geez I need to find a synonym of must've

Surprising that the Panthers allowed the Moylan possible departure issue to prolong for some time and especially as it is now apparent that they always had the upper hand in retaining him and if that was their original preference , No doubt there was some discord there but it seems now that the Panthers really did intend to keep him but that still leaves Edwards , May and Moylan and if he now likely stays , competing for essentially two positions in full back and 5 / 8 . No way Moylan could be valued at an elite level type one mil. Plus player at the present time and as others have suggested , ideally any realistic cap money that Manly may have considered to be directed at Moylan can now be sensibly targeted at still improving or enhancing the present team"s playing strength and depth . Personally not keen on extending Green after next year . seems to go O K when the team is playing well around him , can be a reliable and steady player and does occasionally have some good and even clever touches , but is slow off the mark , and for an experienced player does make some poor options sometimes and especially when under some pressure . Also there is always a concern about his defensive commitment and consistency . Another couple of years or so extension for Walker ? Well of course and with a complete recovery, he is in the top bracket of N R L centres , so if accurate probably would be a good settling influence for both him and the Manly club .

well I for one am glad that is all sorted. And I'm sure everything that happened between Moylan and the Panthers will be water under the bridge solely because they forcing him to stay. That always works out well...

Can I ask you Ralphie if you know (or your contact) where this leaves their cap situation. I had read that if they offload Moylan they would be able to acquire the funds in order to re-sign the likes of Cleary (still not signed to a big contract), Tyrone May, Soni Luke and Dylan Edwards. All these guys require upgrades.

A fan I know at the club said he was happy to see Moylan gone because the above players are all future stars and they could secure their future with Matts money...
Sorry, my contact is a low level coaching support staff member. They know next to nothing about their Cap position but he talks to all of the players on an ongoing basis (Including Moylan).

The BIGGEST issue we have now is the need for a top line goal kicker. Needs to be addressed or it will come back to haunt us.
That's why it would be ideal if Hastings improved his play - or attitude, as some posters intimate - because he could become our regular halfback with DCE as 5/8, which is a position he'd excel at.

The BIGGEST issue we have now is the need for a top line goal kicker. Needs to be addressed or it will come back to haunt us.
I dont think it will come from a Five-Eight for us cause Green is their for another 3 or 4 years. We should be looking at goal kicking centres/wingers or a goal kicking backrower.

That's why it would be ideal if Hastings improved his play - or attitude, as some posters intimate - because he could become our regular halfback with DCE as 5/8, which is a position he'd excel at.
DCE is an out an out 7, he wont ever move from that position at Manly. As for Hastings, he just doesnt have that ability to hit the next level, while he is a good goal kicker his other attributes arent that attractive as a half.

Dean Pay had a meeting this morning with the clubs players. From that I would suggest that the one on ones will occur over the next few weeks. Will be interesting to see which players he wants to keep.... and let go. Happy for the Klemmer to be let go to us! But I agree that would be pretty dumb of the dogs

Heard yesterday that the NRL had cleared Jamil to play NRL next year but I haven't had my verification source return my calls. So if anyone could confirm that would be great.

If so, and with weaknesses in centres next year, if Jamil has been cleared then Will is looking more likely to be moving to us.

The fact they we have pulled out of Moylan race is very interesting. I wonder who will be our marque signing will be. They would not have announced that if something / someone is imminent.

DCE could be an even better 5/8. He's switched to that position before, especially when Foran was with Manly.
Thurston, Cronk, Maloney, Morgan etc. can both positions well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8