Wayne Bennett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah i've heard similar things Killer03

Fluffy said:
Won a lot of those premierships with the games best player on 250K, with many other on more than 500K.

Like Melbourne proved it is easy to be at the pointy end when you have a team worth way more than the salary cap

He made a lot of those Broncos players what they were though, that's the flip side of the coin. I am not suggesting that he won them all off his own bat, but i've seen some great sides of paper achieve nothing in my time watching the game; the Bulldogs have made an art form out of it.

7 premierships tells me he knows what he is doing. Everything has to go right on the big day, at it has 7 times for Wayne. Manly had that great side in 1995 and lost to Canterbury. Sure, he had great players, but he certainly got them clicking as a unit. I also think the Dragons team he took to the 2010 title was a pretty average roster.

wombatgc said:
Rick Stone has been very quiet with his thoughts on the whole saga when he was ousted from the top job. Not his missus, according to a friend of ours. She's known Stoneys missus for years and caught up with her on the GC. To say she and Stoney are filthy on Bennett, and Tinkler is an understatement. :mad:

I'm glad Stone has stuck with the Knights and regains the position he held prior to the Tinkler era. It was always going to end in tears, but those most seduced by the dollars refused to listen or dig a little deeper. The real club stalwarts like Stone and Tew are why the club steered clear of a fall, replicating Tinkler's recent demise.

There was no reason for Tinkler to bring in Bennett, except to boost his ego as the clubs saviour. They already had a competent coach and just needed stability in the roster.

I like Stone and I wish him luck in re-building the club; a task he shouldn't have been taken from 3 years ago!!!

Disagree with the Dragons, they were on their way up at the time. 6 of their backline are internationals, the other has played origin, their forwards match up almost the same, 5 internationals and 1 origin. Out of their full 17 only 2 have never played origin or for their country.

To say a team where 15 have all played origin or better is pretty average would only say to me you are one damn hard marker.

As the knights time proves if it is not handed to him on a plate he struggle. Sure he can ice the cake well but he can't bake for ****

Fluffy said:
Disagree with the Dragons, they were on their way up at the time. 6 of their backline are internationals, the other has played origin, their forwards match up almost the same, 5 internationals and 1 origin. Out of their full 17 only 2 have never played origin or for their country.

To say a team where 15 have all played origin or better is pretty average would only say to me you are one damn hard marker.

As the knights time proves if it is not handed to him on a plate he struggle. Sure he can ice the cake well but he can't bake for ...

Again you're glossing over the fact that he made these players who they were.

1. Boyd - was a winger who was shown the door by the Broncos at the end of 2008. Bennett transformed him into a fullback who fired at just the right time after struggling in the position in 09.
2. Morris - wasn't even first choice winger at the start of 2009 (behind Dell and Nightingale) let alone an international. (Played rep footy after Bennett got him firing)
3. Gasnier - came back 3/4 of the way through the year and was underdone
4. Cooper - International
5. Nightingale - ended up playing off the bench in 2009 because Dell was still playing and Morris showed form

6. Soward - got dropped for the semi-final against Manly in 08 because he sucked (played rep footy after Bennett got him firing)
7. Hornby - makeshift half back

8. Weyman - Canberra reject (played rep footy after Bennett got him firing)
9. Young - Chronic knee injuries and playing against doctors orders
10.Costigan - Canberra reject, makeshift prop
11.Creagh - International
12.Scott - moved from centre (played rep footy after Bennett got him firing)
13.Smith - International

14.Prior - nobody
15.Merrin - rookie who played only 8 minutes in the GF
16.Saffy - nobody
17.Fein - Warriors reject who signed mid season

It's easy to gloss over the facts and call them all stars, but they were anything but if you dig into the individual circumstances. Most of them became house hold names AFTER Bennett got a hold of them.

Snake said:
Fluffy said:

As the knights time proves if it is not handed to him on a plate he struggle. Sure he can ice the cake well but he can't bake for ...

1. Boyd - was a winger who was shown the door by the Broncos at the end of 2008. Bennett transformed him into a fullback who fired at just the right time after struggling in the position in 09.
2. Morris - wasn't even first choice winger at the start of 2009 (behind Dell and Nightingale) let alone an international. (Played rep footy after Bennett got him firing)
5. Nightingale - ended up playing off the bench in 2009 because Dell was still playing and Morris showed form

6. Soward - got dropped for the semi-final against Manly in 08 because he sucked (played rep footy after Bennett got him firing)

13.Smith - International

14.Prior - nobody
16.Saffy - nobody

It's easy to gloss over the facts and call them all stars, but they were anything but if you dig into the individual circumstances. Most of them became house hold names AFTER Bennett got a hold of them.

Im sorry, but just like you believe he is a god so did these players. His street cred when he arrived at Dragqueens was second to none. There is no better way to get a **** player to fire than have the second coming of christ tell you that you are a great player. Not so sure he has that same ability now. he even started at the knights as a nineball! He is over rated and has no integrity. I respect he has a good record but i dont believe that he would have achieved the same results had he been at Cronulla since 1989.

Snake said:
Fluffy said:

13.Smith - International

14.Prior - nobody
16.Saffy - nobody

Is that you Darius???

Snake said:
Fluffy said:

13.Smith - International

14.Prior - nobody
16.Saffy - nobody

I should sign with Benet, he would make me an international since it has nothing to do with the playes ability.

Only had to read as ar as Darius - sacked by the Broncos, nothing to do with Bennett taking him with him, not caring about the club just his own little world which he has done 3 times now.....

The dragons won 10 of their last 15 in 2008 so were big time on the rise

Snake said:
Fluffy said:
Disagree with the Dragons, they were on their way up at the time. 6 of their backline are internationals, the other has played origin, their of their full 17 only 2 have never played origin or for their country.
forwards match up almost the same, 5 internationals and 1 origin. Out

13.Smith - International

14.Prior - nobody
16.Saffy - nobody

Why didn't he have the ability to do the same with the Knights players ? Because he didn't have the ability , Give me 2V any day :)

Don't care either way about Bennett, but it would be foolish to underestimate the effect of Alex McKinnon's injury on the Knights season this year. They were pretty good last year.

@BOZO
@Ralphie
@Fluffy
@conanu

I can't stand Bennett, but in my opinion, he can coach. Lots of coaches over the years have had talented line ups but failed to win the competition. There are so many variables to winning a premiership, that I think after 7 wins at the big dance, you can safely say the guy can coach. Is he god; no. Can he coach? mmm i'd say so.

I'll have Toovey any day myself.

Snake said:
@BOZO
@Ralphie
@Fluffy
@conanu

I can't stand Bennett, but in my opinion, he can coach. Lots of coaches over the years have had talented line ups but failed to win the competition. There are so many variables to winning a premiership, that I think after 7 wins at the big dance, you can safely say the guy can coach. Is he god; no. Can he coach? mmm i'd say so.

I'll have Toovey any day myself.
Yes Snake he can coach but he also had some bloody good players that helped him win comps .

No doubt in my mind he can coach. And different coaches seem better at different things. Brian Smith for example is (I hear) superb at setting up systems at clubs, getting a struggling team to suddenly being a contender......but he can't quite make that next step. He reminds me of Graham Taylor in English Soccer, he took really unfashionable teams and made them into real contenders in the late 80s and early 90s. But then when he took over the national team and worked with better players....an absolute disaster.

Then you have coaches like Bennett, he seems to be able to get them to the next level. The dragons team of the middle to late part of the 00s was a quality team, they were continually pushing into the top part of the comp, just couldn't quite put the polish on.....enter Bennett.

I think that's what's disappointing with Bennett. He is seen in very rarefied air with the Gibsons and the Goulds of this world, but seems intent on giving nothing back. Being a complete knob with the media.

I still remember the day that Bennett and the Donkey's trotted out "The Mouth" in one of heir jumpers in a press conference in 1996. He was still contracted to St George at the time.

Can you imagine the outcry if a Sydney based team had paraded Allan Langer in one of their jumpers to announce his signing while he was still contracted to the Donkey's? You'd have heard their cries on the damn moon.

One thing about Bennett (and the Donkey's).....they always rule changes to prevent others doing what they already have gotten away with.

And as for the St Merge premiership in 2010.....does anyone seriously think they'd have still won that if Melbourne hadn't been caught cheating the cap or if we hadn't lost some key players to season ending injuries? Remember this was when we were trying to learn how to win with Snake out injured, and we also lost the Wolfman. We also didn't have much in the way of halves either as Orford was gone, Hodkinson was still a rookie (Cherry was a year away) and no one knew whether Foz should be a centre or 5/8, and we'd also lost Josh Perry to St Helens. If Manly and Melbourne weren't hobbled in 2010 (and if Hayne's form drop hadn't killed Parra-doesn't-matta's season) then St Merge probably wouldn't have won the premiership and I doubt they'd have even made the GF. Yeah the SteelDrags were a good team, but I think they happened to find a year when the main contenders were down for various reasons. As soon as both us and the Scum were back 2011, St Merge were nowhere again.

With the possible exception of 2006, all of Bennett's international and origin stacked premiership teams at the Donkeys should have been so far over the cap they'd have made the Scums cheating look pale in comparison. But for some reason the league has always seemed to let Brisbane do what they want. Its like they fear the backlash would result in losing support in Qld if the Donkey's ever get punished for anything.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Daruis' claytons dad can coach and regardless of what anyone thinks history will tell he's one of the best there has been. But in his time with the Knights he also proved that a coach is sometimes only as good as the players they have at their disposal. Heck, even Peter Sharp might have won a premiership or two if he coached those Donkeys teams during the 1990's.

Lol Darious Boyd just pulled up in the car park next to me....he's a little bit bigger than I thought...so I'll just run through my Bennett jokes by myself..ahh he just spotted my Manly stickers...a wry grin

wombatgc said:
Lol Darious Boyd just pulled up in the car park next to me....he's a little bit bigger than I thought...so I'll just run through my Bennett jokes by myself..ahh he just spotted my Manly stickers...a wry grin

Just point at the sticker & say "You wish!"

Butto said:
Was the tosser still driving around in his hummer.

Nah he was driving a white commodore with a bloody silver fern on the boot next to the word "TUSH"...if that's his car he's got bigger probs in the head.

Bennett. Even in Queensland his name is tarnished. He will forever be remembered for what he couldn't achieve when the club didn't have millions to throw at a premiership at Newcastle. For his lies to players and only stay for years at the donkeys because Talbot's dollars were big.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8