what do we really honestly think?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm with you Moz. I'd like to see the clubs put in some sort of report that matters after each game on the refs. And some sort of direct action taken when it is obvious that bias is occurring. This NRL 'integrity unit' is interesting. Does it include a brief to watch out for bias? I wouldn't think so. Anyway on Fridays game, weren't the Storm red hot favourites to take down Drugcastle? Didn't happen. Aren't Souffs red hot favourites to take down Manly? Won't happen. Win by 13 plus is my prediction. Play the same game that we played against the Storm. Shut down the playmakers, Luke, the half-back and Inglis and hold the forwards. A win.

Each year I take a match by match approach taking each joy and disappointment as they come.
After the win over the sharkies last week I've had fleeting moments of daring to dream that we can win it this year. The courage and determination against the chooks and the sharks was epic. We may not have the biggest, fastest, strongest team but we have the Manly spirit.
The boys will go into this match battered and bruised against a fresh bunnies outfit with the crowd and refs on their side. Still, I don't know why but I've got a good feeling about this game.
Hope I'm right. Top effort by Tooves and the boys to get this far. Fight on Manly.

nodd said:
If we are behind with 20 to go I don't think the boys will hang on. The last two games they have been brave, but I think it may have sucked a lot of petrol from the tank.

If we get out to an early lead I think then, they will have the guts to tough it out and hold the lead.

This is what I'm hoping will happen, too. If we play our best footy and get out to a fast start as we did against Melbourne (and, before the pinkies cruelled us, as we did against Souths last time we played them) we'll be very, very hard to beat.
I'm worried about the refs and the size of the Souths pack wearing us down. It's one thing to knock 'em down for 60 minutes but the effort required will take it out of any team. We need to play smart and control possession. No relieving penalties to get them out of trouble either.
But yeah, of course we can win:)

My heart says Manly, my head says Souths.

Looking at it objectively, we've hard a month of tough football, particualarly the last two weeks. the second half last week we were running on empty and got through by moving to our default setting of defending by insticnt and grinding it out. Most, if not all, other teams would have lost that game if put in our position.

We have to lead deep into the second half. If we lead with 10-15 to go, I think our natural instinct kicks in and we grind our way to victory. If we have to play catch up, I don't think we have the energy to do it. Also, I'm yet to be convinced by the Rabbits in the big games. Their Rd 26 game was hyped up like a semi and they fell short. They played well against Melbourne, but the Melbourne form looks as though it may not hold up.

I think it's all about how we start the game and the penalty count. A good first 20 minutes where we score first, put on some big hits and hold out Souths will put us in a great position to finish off the game. We will also have to be careful to not give away too many silly (4th and 5th tackle holding down) penalties.

If they can do all this then yes, Manly will win.

Honestly, it depends whether the refs are on their side or not.

We are a much better side than them if it is an even playing field, but I don't think we are good enough to beat them if they have the usual ref assistance.

I'm hoping the JT spray scares the refs into a fair performance. Then we will win. Who knows - maybe some unfair calls will even go against Souths if the refs are scared of being perceived as having a Souths bias?

I'd love to win on the basis that they get denied the matchwinner in the same circumstances as Matai was denied his try in our last match against them and the refs.

mozgrame said:
Has a captain ever ordered his team off the field, or better still, called a team meeting or strike in the middle of the field after continuous and seemingly deliberate bad calls by the refs? Imagine what would happen if the whole team gathered together and refused to play on until the video ref has reviewed a call, and the ref has explained the call to the satisfaction of the questioning captain.

Former Sea Eagle Ken Irvine did that once when he was still at Norths. He threatened to take the Bears off the ground in protest of Keith Page's refereeing in a game against the Berries (Dogs?) in 1969 at the SCG (for the record Norths stayed on the field and went on to win that game 9-8).

I'm a little bit worried about the punishment our boys have taken in the last month, but I will never doubt their courage and ticker to give it 100%. Just want an even shake from the refs and for our halves to take control. DCE's long kicking has never been more important in a game. Can't wait.

1969 said:
It is a tough call. Roosters smashed us and we are walking wounded.

The Bunnies have the bandits, and a week off.

If we lose our sh1t with 20 to go like last week we get owned.

I bleed Maroon and White, and honestly, think we can get them by 1.

And be grateful....

I wouldn't say the Roosters smashed us, it was just a very physical defensive game.

Peter C said:
I wouldn't say the Roosters smashed us, it was just a very physical defensive game.

True, maybe I was a little harsh there, but when I saw the boys wandering around in circles like zombies with 20 to go during the Sharks game, I realised how much octane the Roosters took out of our petrol.

We weren't wandering in circles like zombies. We were conserving energy and then using it wisely when needed. The Sharks had no excuse to lose that game apart from Carney. We had every excuse, but that's not Manly. I think the rabbits will have to put in 110% to beat us.

Noddy Kimmorley again doesn't rate us. I remember he tipped the Warriors to beat us in the 2011 GF lol. That gives me more confidence ;)

Mals said:
Noddy Kimmorley again doesn't rate us. I remember he tipped the Warriors to beat us in the 2011 GF lol. That gives me more confidence ;)

Lol at Kimmorley, he death rides us all the time.

I expect 99.9% of the so called " experts" to pick Souths, who cares!!

Souths' form over the last 7 matches is nothing to write home about...losing to the Cowboys, Storm and Roosters, beating Manly and the Storm in controversial circumstances , just holding out the Bulldogs and beating the Tigers after being down 18-nil .

Deep down I fear we will need the bounce of the ball to go our way or Souths to be a bit off or us to play out of our skins...but everytime some smug so and so tells me we are too battered or too old my hackels rise a bit and I start thinking we are gonna show them all.

Keep coming back to the fact our halves are better than there's and as a team we have performed under pressure many times and that's gotta give us a great chance if we can match the physical stuff in the first 20 mins.

If we just get a fair rub of the green, like we did against the Rooster, we can win this.

Last time against Souths, every time they were under pressure in their 20, they got a penalty, and a 50m leg up down the field. You can't win these games.

Just some fair and sensible refereeing is all both sides want, really.

I honestly think.... they fear us more than we fear them ! especially since it is finals footy.

Manly are fired for this one I rekon , not to mention the spark that is lit from the Lima incident.

Il back us , Manly by 8

I find it amazing that due to a few journos saying we have no chance because we're playing busted, then every smuck on radio, tv and print runs with it . These are the very same people who claimed we couldn't even make the 8 because of an ageing roster.

We are in this game in a big way, it's in the DNA of out boys to rise up, meet the challenge and come out on top .

Manly by 4 in an absolute ripper .

if we win this (& think that's a BIG IF), in some kind of SOO bonejarring slam-it down, drag-it-out clash, the Rorters will be very very AFRAID of us. . . much more so than they would be of the Wabbits ! 1978 all over again.

It's only Thursday and I am a bit of a nervous wreck. Not nervous that we will get beat, more of an excited nervous that something special is going to happen. I think for this game we will see a much better rotation of our interchanges. Toovs and the coaching staff have been priming for this one and I have no doubt we will be more than up for it. Also if snake plays this will give the team another shot of enthusiasm and confidence. Big game from Gift will be on the cards.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8