Who Is the Next Immortal?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mal Meninga has to be made an Immortal before Thurston.

* 1981 and 1985 BRL Premiership player with Souths Magpies
* 1989, 1990 and 1994 NSWRL Premiership captain of the Canberra Raiders
* 1982, 1986, 1990 and 1994 Kangaroo Tourist, the only player in history to make four tours and the only player to captain the squad twice (1990 and 1994)
* 46 test matches for Australia, 23 as captain.
* Captained Australia to series wins over Great Britain (1990, 1992 and 1994), New Zealand (1991 and 1993), France (1990, 1994) and Papua New Guinea (1991)
* Captained Australia to win the 1992 World Cup Final
* 32 Origin games for Qld, 12 as captain
* 7 games for Qld under the old State of Residence rules
* 1990 Golden Boot winner as the best player in the world
* Qld Team of the Century 1908-2007
* ARL Team of the Century 1908-2007
* 2003 ARL Hall of Fame inductee
* Coached Qld to 9 Origin series wins in 10 years including 8 in a row from 2006-2013

For my money he should be an immortal already and if not for the NSW bias from the selection panel at the time he should have been made one either before or in place of Andrew Johns.

Missing in action when his teams for poorly

Greg Inglis prototype

I'd have Meninga in there before Thurston or Lockyer. The guy has a pretty impressive career record.

It might just be me, but I don't feel like Thurston is "immortal" class. Sure he is a very good footballer, but I wouldn't say he has dominated the game. He has a good Origin record because he is surrounded by a once in a lifetime team of superstars, and he has had Lockyer or Cronk doing all the thinking for him. I'd have him as a superstar player but not an immortal. To reach that next level you really have had to have dominated or revolutionised the game. Didn't see all the current 8 immortals play, but of those I did see play I'd say they were good enough to have the honour bestowed. Thurston not yet, he may get there, but on current career it's a no from me.

My vote.
Unknown-2.jpeg

For those who disagree, he could get a sideline goal by merely thinking it through the posts, whereas JT needs to use the physical kind of force.

As the only real immortal myself, calling footballers immortals is dumb. I'm all for a hall of fame but until I see some actual real world testing showing these guys are impervious to bullets or even old age for instance the title of immortal is unwarranted.

Whats the rush, why do there have to be more. Im happy with thw way it is. If anything i say provan. The others can wait.

And to be honest some of the people mentioned were good footy players, but only one or 2 are even close to immortal. Alfie langer please, great player but thats it. His club should recognise him thats it, same with fittler, lockyer, thurston, menzies and that lazy sack of **** meninga. It just shows how time affects memory. Sure he had longevity, and reprsentation but only because he bludged. I reckon his coaching record is probably better than his playing.

And for mine an immortal doesnt jump to super league for cash, which inevitably, bankrupts the codes, forces clubs to fold and splits the comp for personal gain. To me an immortal is above that ****

Johns possibly, thurston maybe down the track with a few more good years. Forget the rest.

Jbb, agree fully. Why the need to have another? If provan was so deserving why has he had to wait til now. The Immortal status should only be reserved for those once in a generation players who transcend the game. If there isn't another for 50 years so be it.

John Hopoate should be " immortalised " for bringing the game into disrepute , in fact that could create a whole new set of " Immortals" couldn't it.

John Hopoate should be " immortalised " for bringing the game into disrepute , in fact that could create a whole new set of " Immortals" couldn't it.
Yeah immortalize his finger in a bronze cast.
We all agree Hoppa Snr certainly had his finger on the pulse and is way up there!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8