Why Manly are replacing a club legend with untried rookie coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Understand that, but his record as an assistant coach (not a head coach) is very good, first at the Roosters and now at the Cowboys. Suggestions that he'll be there to deal with players day to day because Barrett isn't very good at man management (isn't that what a head coach does?) worry me though…
Agree. Carty is a very good man manager....politics @ the Titans was his demise. I think he's a great pick up.

This is about Zorba, and his relationship with The Stewart clan. What a dickhead.

Let the head coach, coach. Toovey thought we needed to move on from Glenn. He also didnt think we needed that hack Luke Burgess.

You screwed him good and hard Zorba. I hope he returns as your boss one day, and your days are numbered.

Before anyone rips me, the clubs treatment of Matt Ballin has changed my mindset on this whole messy scenario.

Bozo can be harsh with his choices, but his stance on contracted players is too Parramatta like as people were suggesting to me.

I think the last 3 months has shown the quality that Toovey has as a coach, the rumblings behind the scenes where its clear they decided ages ago to bring in a new coach has seen Toovey coach at a new level showing resilience and toughness that epitomised him as a player. He will be an asset, hopefully he will get a gig as NSW or Australian coach as his next job.

I'm not talking about Barrett's inexperience ! If Toovey had quite for personal reasons I'd be all for Barrett...it's the process that's pissed me off.
All boards question their decision of coaches. If they don't, they aren't doing their jobs. The problem is that it was leaked so early. Media don't need to know internal agendas. They need to source out the leaker and get rid of him/her.

As the sport gets more professional , it also gets more political, we are entering into an era , kind of like the English Premier League, Job contracts don't mean squat, if you don't perform or back the right people, you gone, avg age of 3-4 year tenure then the revolving door hits. Unfortunately every team will be going this way it inevitable

In saying that Tooves should be somewhere in the board or our CEO at least

Understand that, but his record as an assistant coach (not a head coach) is very good, first at the Roosters and now at the Cowboys. Suggestions that he'll be there to deal with players day to day because Barrett isn't very good at man management (isn't that what a head coach does?) worry me though…
He had 2004 at the roosters under Sticky. He was not responsible for the good period the roosters had. Just saying.

In a word.....politics.

Tooves picked the wrong team (Quantum) to side with and he's paying the price unfortunately. Don't believe a word about it being for lack of results.

I agree 100% HV8.

And I said so under the article on the FOX page. To save retyping it......

"The powers that be wanted Geoff gone. They knew that Manly would not perform as badly as they did this year in 2016 with the recruitment and the retention of DCE.

So they were forced to move him on this year as next year there would have been no feasible reason to sack him.

I won't say Trent can't coach. But to suggest Geoff is incapable of doing the job with the appropriate roster and without a horrendous injury toll, is a joke.

He supported the Quantum board members in regards to player retention and paid the price. His sacking had ZERO to do with results or ability."

I don't think I can add anything else to that. We can all smell b*****it from 100 yards. It's happened. Let's move on. I'm going to support Barrett regardless of my respect for Tooves.

I would like to respectfully disagree re some of the plaudits around Bozo.
Sure, He is an immortal. I am old enough to have seen him run around for the club and help create the MW legend that is the club. He was an earth shattering Footballer. He was also an earth shattering coach in the 90's.
Having the above two attributes does not make him the world's best selector. There is ample evidence of that around. Sorry, but I think that he has sold his soul to the devil here. (in order - ZtH (whom he played with... not in the biblical sense) and the Penns) If he was so damned pragmatic, he would have given Toovey a chance.
Oh, but he is a consultant. And Consultants always succeed by giving the customer (Penn) a solution that the customer agrees with. How far would he have got if he had advocated keeping Tooves When ZtH wanted Tooves out?
Hope you folks don't mind some dissent re Fulton.

Last edited:
I'm filthy about what the club has done with Toovey. I have no doubt he would have had plenty of success as a long term coach of Manly. The decision to sack him is almost certainly the worst decision this club has made in a long time. Perhaps the worst I have seen in nearly 5 decades of supporting the club.

On the subject of Barrett, his signing has me nervous. He has never struck me as a mental giant. I only base this opinion on the many interviews I have seen him in over the years. He doesn't appear to be a very quick thinker and always seemed to have that "glazed over" look about him when asked even the simplest questions. Perhaps this is why he has surrounded himself with the staff he has for next season. Maybe he's smart enough to know he just isn't that smart.

Are the players now playing for Toovey to send him out on the best way they can or are they playing because they are happy that he is now going? Interesting question.

They're playing for Toovey and for each other. A lot of them won't be there next year and they realise that this is the end of the era that started in 2005.

This is about Zorba, and his relationship with The Stewart clan. What a dickhead.

Let the head coach, coach. Toovey thought we needed to move on from Glenn. He also didnt think we needed that hack Luke Burgess.

You screwed him good and hard Zorba. I hope he returns as your boss one day, and your days are numbered.

Before anyone rips me, the clubs treatment of Matt Ballin has changed my mindset on this whole messy scenario.

Bozo can be harsh with his choices, but his stance on contracted players is too Parramatta like as people were suggesting to me.
Welcome to the dark side

Glad to have you

I would like to respectfully disagree re some of the plaudits around Bozo.
Sure, He is an immortal. I am old enough to have seen him run around for the club and help create the MW legend that is the club. He was an earth shattering Footballer. He was also an earth shattering coach in the 90's.
Having the above two attributes does not make him the world's best selector. There is ample evidence of that around. Sorry, but I think that he has sold his soul to the devil here. (in order - ZtH (whom he played with... not in the biblical sense) and the Penns) If he was so damned pragmatic, he would have given Toovey a chance.
Oh, but he is a consultant. And Consultants always succeed by giving the customer (Penn) a solution that the customer agrees with. How far would he have got if he had advocated keeping Tooves When ZtH wanted Tooves out?
Hope you folks don't mind some dissent re Fulton.

Fulton leaving Manly for Easts is one of my earliest rugby league memories. I was six years old, born and bred a Manly supporter, and I couldn't believe it. I know he wasn't the first and certainly wasn't the last to leave a club for more money but I've never really forgiven him for it - and that's even after he came back to coach us. Tooves, on the other hand, like Beaver, has always been about Manly.

I think its ridiculous outing tooves after a few poor performanes-a total joke-with a win like that it proves we are still a great side that is very well coached by Tooves,hopefully there is egg on faces when we win our last five and cruise into the finals with the wind in our sails and give the comp a shake up.

I agree 100% HV8.

And I said so under the article on the FOX page. To save retyping it......

"The powers that be wanted Geoff gone. They knew that Manly would not perform as badly as they did this year in 2016 with the recruitment and the retention of DCE.

So they were forced to move him on this year as next year there would have been no feasible reason to sack him.

I won't say Trent can't coach. But to suggest Geoff is incapable of doing the job with the appropriate roster and without a horrendous injury toll, is a joke.

He supported the Quantum board members in regards to player retention and paid the price. His sacking had ZERO to do with results or ability."

I don't think I can add anything else to that. We can all smell b*****it from 100 yards. It's happened. Let's move on. I'm going to support Barrett regardless of my respect for Tooves.
^ Exactly -If you were the Stewart's ,you would be filthy at these ****'s for dragging your name through the mud & using you as their scapegoat for their own two faced, ego driven agenda.

I know Barrett comes with huge wraps from the likes of Bozo and Gus Gould, and I am prepared to give him a chance if only because I don't want Manly losing games.....but recently I have read various comments from a number of Riff fans who aren't so taken with him. His only full season coaching a team was the Riff U/20's last year and they finished 9th.

If the Penn's wanted a coach with a good record then Tooves has it all over Barrett. Unfortunately though as we all know, Tooves' sacking has nothing to do with results. Injuries, contract dramas and internal politics this season have basically gave the Penn's the excuse they needed to sack him.

In saying that Tooves should be somewhere in the board or our CEO at least

If the powers that be won't even let him coach the team, sadly he has got buckley's chance of them letting anywhere near the board or administration of the club

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6