• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
The capitulation yesterday is a Combination of attitude and inexperience.

We skipped out to a lead and the inexperienced players got ahead of themselves. The second half simply needed to be "run hard, tackle hard and kick long". Instead it was "throw the ball to the edges regardless of where we are on the field and chance the passes and we'll put on a clinic".

Experienced teams understand that this doesn't work, but inexperienced teams learn a hard lesson like yesterday.

Taupau's tackle on Sue and Tom's passes are examples of the attitude being askew and although DCE and Green maybe could have put a lid on some of the touch footy we played early in the second half, I don't think it's as simple as holding them responsible for a lack of leadership...individuals in the team are developing and they'll learn from yesterday.

The challenge at half time was game management, the instructions were do the basics well, the application of this was totally ignored, we played loose with the ball and our defence was found wanting. Weak defeat and it was all self inflicted, timely lesson for some of our younger players. Play the percentages when you are ahead. Do not get into a game plan where you give an opponent encouragement and then invite trouble buy disrespecting the ball. Our defence concerns me, we are not aggressive enough, too many offloads and our scrambling defence is not what it was. Our last 6 games we have conceded an average 30 points a game and that has to change if we are to progress any further this season.

I was working during the game. A mate of mine said, you guys have got this. My reply was, i hate when we go into half time with a good lead. We always seem to come out like we have won already. We just don't seem to go on with it.

Last edited:
As I said elsewhere this morning we really lack a battle hardened player ( or two) to go out and take charge in those situations.

We've got tons of flair, we've got plenty of attitude BUT we have bucket loads of inexperience!

Cherry and Green can only work with what they have and yesterday we needed a hard head to be screaming at them and getting their heads in the right space.

It's all mental, we have the troops, we have the ability, we have the flair BUT when things go against us we don't have a leader!!

Full credit to the Tigers.

They never gave up in the second half, unlike Manly against both the Dragons and the Storm.

We can learn a lot from yesterday by watching the way they applied themselves.

I thought theirs was a great performance and ours was something less than great.

Agree that it's inexperience on the part of your younger players.

For example Tom's didn't need to make those do or die passes for those intercepts when we're already up by so much on the board.

Hopefully he'll learn from the experience.

Who's running the show ? It's the halves that control the ball and tempo of play, they drive the team, they make the calls. How much experience do you need before you stop using inexperience as an excuse ? Green over 200 games (including ESL) and DCE 150+ games.

To see what went wrong - its fairly black and white and changed quickly if the players are willing.
These long passes and sideways attack lost the momentum in that 2nd half......
If you look at where Manly destroyed them 1st half - and destroyed the Roosters last week, it was through that middle third....winning quick play balls and wedging between those A defenders offering 2nd phase to Turbo and DCE, earning the right to play wide....

As I said elsewhere this morning we really lack a battle hardened player ( or two) to go out and take charge in those situations.

We've got tons of flair, we've got plenty of attitude BUT we have bucket loads of inexperience!

Cherry and Green can only work with what they have and yesterday we needed a hard head to be screaming at them and getting their heads in the right space.

It's all mental, we have the troops, we have the ability, we have the flair BUT when things go against us we don't have a leader!!

We haven't been the same team since Nate Myles was sent packing.

Full credit to the Tigers.

They never gave up in the second half, unlike Manly against both the Dragons and the Storm.

We can learn a lot from yesterday by watching the way they applied themselves.

I thought theirs was a great performance and ours was something less than great.
They never gave up because we kept on inviting them back into the game, TT's touch football intercepts just kept on giving them the momentum they needed.

Who's running the show ? It's the halves that control the ball and tempo of play, they drive the team, they make the calls. How much experience do you need before you stop using inexperience as an excuse ? Green over 200 games (including ESL) and DCE 150+ games.
I break it down like this:

Tom T (20 years old) throws two passes that he shouldn't have thrown...particularly the second one...just ruck it forward and earn the right to go wide. He'll learn.

Lloyd Perrett (35 FG games) needs to focus on ball security coming out of own 20

Brad Parker (20 years old) needs to focus on ball security coming out of own 10m.

Add to that the collective defensive attitude of a team that thinks the game is won...a team that has only been assembled in the last 18 months months and a team with a number of players establishing themselves as first graders (even API falls into this category and he is a leader in this side).

Now DCE didn't drop any of those balls, nor did he throw any wild passes. He kicked well, chased hard and put his body on the line. As far as talk goes, well we heard that he inspired the team from the in goal against the Chooks when we were down, so I doubt he was too quiet yesterday.

I'm not saying he is a great leader or not a great leader but he stepped up with his actions yesterday and like others in the team, he is learning a new role (it's his first season as Captain).

If you want to single anyone out for a lack of leadership yesterday, it would be Taupau; he should have led the pack by example, instead he went in soft on Sue and he gave away ridiculous penalties at inopportune times.

I know the halves should be directing the entire side and at times they probably need to get in and really take the bull by the horns but even the best leaders in the competition would have struggled to contain the enivitable yesterday; what I mean to say is, sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way.

I break it down like this:

Tom T (20 years old) throws two passes that he shouldn't have thrown...particularly the second one...just ruck it forward and earn the right to go wide. He'll learn.

Lloyd Perrett (35 FG games) needs to focus on ball security coming out of own 20

Brad Parker (20 years old) needs to focus on ball security coming out of own 10m.

Add to that the collective defensive attitude of a team that thinks the game is won...a team that has only been assembled in the last 18 months months and a team with a number of players establishing themselves as first graders (even API falls into this category and he is a leader in this side).

Now DCE didn't drop any of those balls, nor did he throw any wild passes. He kicked well, chased hard and put his body on the line. As far as talk goes, well we heard that he inspired the team from the in goal against the Chooks when we were down, so I doubt he was too quiet yesterday.

I'm not saying he is a great leader or not a great leader but he stepped up with his actions yesterday and like others in the team, he is learning a new role (it's his first season as Captain).

If you want to single anyone out for a lack of leadership yesterday, it would be Taupau; he should have led the pack by example, instead he went in soft on Sue and he gave away ridiculous penalties at inopportune times.

I know the halves should be directing the entire side and at times they probably need to get in and really take the bull by the horns but even the best leaders in the competition would have struggled to contain the enivitable yesterday; what I mean to say is, sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way.
I think this is a pretty spot on summary. I'm not sure DCE's kicking game was so great, but he was certainly digging deep and doing everything he could to pull the team through. I think the only thing missing from the summary is the performance of Green. I thought he was terrible and more influential on the outcome of that game than DCE. His mistakes and tackling aside, he really failed to control the game as he has done so well at other times this year.

I agree that Marty was average at best yesterday,but I am not sure why people are saying he was weak with the tackle on Sue.Give Sue some credit,Marty planted and readied himself for contact and it was brilliant footwork from Sue at the last second to step him,all Marty or anyone could do was to fling out the left arm and hope for the best.Yes, a bit of a bonehead game from Marty but that was brilliant work from Sue,you expect that from a half or fullback,not a prop.

I think this is a pretty spot on summary. I'm not sure DCE's kicking game was so great, but he was certainly digging deep and doing everything he could to pull the team through. I think the only thing missing from the summary is the performance of Green. I thought he was terrible and more influential on the outcome of that game than DCE. His mistakes and tackling aside, he really failed to control the game as he has done so well at other times this year.
Green hasn't been switched on for the past 6 weeks.
I'm wondering if he is hankering for the top placed Scumos where his workload was minimal :confused:

I agree that Marty was average at best yesterday,but I am not sure why people are saying he was weak with the tackle on Sue.Give Sue some credit,Marty planted and readied himself for contact and it was brilliant footwork from Sue at the last second to step him,all Marty or anyone could do was to fling out the left arm and hope for the best.Yes, a bit of a bonehead game from Marty but that was brilliant work from Sue,you expect that from a half or fullback,not a prop.

Not sure if you and I saw the same thing. Tapau was in position to make the tackle, he just didn't use his arms to make it. There was little commitment or desire. No way was he evaded. He also gave away lazy high tackle penalty that go tigers down our quarter for the last 5 minutes. Is running with half the intensity of earlier in the year. Not sure what's happened to him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8