Winning games without the Stewarts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think he is only signed till the end of this season from memory. Hopefully that situation will change in the next few months.

Brilliant, superstar, faultless, outstanding.

What are you lot drinking? Hiku has become a good 1st grader.

Brooks is brilliant, Tedescu is outstanding, Matai is God and to quote jack Gibson Hiku goes Ok

naw017 said:
Thinking Hiku has to replace Wolfy when Horhay returns. Don't want to lose this guy considering the injury problems that haunt Snake and let's not forget the traitor and his open chequebook are lurking

Blair is on fire , he won us the game against parra , and played well last night..
IMO the way i have seen things go this year , id have blair over wolfman ( sorry )

When Horhay returns , i think the best option is he and blair on the wing..

people ??

Hiku is good at this stage but he is light years behind Snake. What Snake did to the Storm in that first half is priceless and vital if we want to win another premiership soon.

Mal Cochrane said:
Wolfman needs to show a lot more this year, otherwise he could be the next cut loose.

I think Wolfman has just lost all confidence, that bomb last night early on that he just left (with no-one around him) when he had it covered just said so much about his mental state.

I really hope he sorts himself out quickly, because if he doesn't there are too many quality players lurking about.

Hiku needs to take note of the lines Snake runs , which isn't easily learnt.
Snake knows where the play is going ,where Hiku still anticipates it.This isn't
just an experience thing .Snake along with Lyon are pure natural footballers ,
some of the skill sets that come along with that ,just can't be taught.

robbiea said:
Hiku needs to take note of the lines Snake runs , which isn't easily learnt.
Snake knows where the play is going ,where Hiku still anticipates it.This isn't
just an experience thing .Snake along with Lyon are pure natural footballers ,
some of the skill sets that come along with that ,just can't be taught.

It's hard to run like a snake.

manlyfan76 said:
It's hard to run like a snake.

Blend in with your surroundings then strike. Works for taipans, death-adders, king browns and Brett Stewart.

Killer03 said:
I think Wolfman has just lost all confidence, that bomb last night early on that he just left (with no-one around him) when he had it covered just said so much about his mental state.

I could be being one-eyed for Wolfman but would another good winger have caught that bomb? I thought it was a very unlucky bounce of the ball which nobody could've caught.....but I stand to be corrected.

ALinda said:
Killer03 said:

I could be being one-eyed for Wolfman but would another good winger have caught that bomb? I thought it was a very unlucky bounce of the ball which nobody could've caught.....but I stand to be corrected.

Think we're talking about 2 separate bombs. The one I'm talking about was a defensive bomb, he basically went backwards, got under it (with no pressure from the Roosters), then moved out of the way to let it bounce....then it went into touch.

The commentators even made a point of saying 'why did he move away from it'

Killer03 said:
ALinda said:
Killer03 said:

Think we're talking about 2 separate bombs. The one I'm talking about was a defensive bomb, he basically went backwards, got under it (with no pressure from the Roosters), then moved out of the way to let it bounce....then it went into touch.

The commentators even made a point of saying 'why did he move away from it'

The bomb was spinning around in the air quite a bit. He might have just lost the ball and decided it was safer to let it bounce than knock it on.

We got the scrum feed, so no worries - play it safe :sleepy:

Wolfie really had Taupua marked all night and stopped Jennings' certain try. The obstruction ruling was also a sign that Wolfie's Gods are back :angel:

Our 2014 Games statistic with Snake is 1 loss, without Snake its 3 wins.
So much for the 48% win stat that the Media was screeching about after week 1;)

Hiku is doing well but there is one huge difference.That key difference (and Toovey alluded to it in his post match stuff) is that it is difficult to keep grinding out tight wins week in week out.

Snake gives us the ability to put sides away both with his running game and his passing game(eg Storm in Rd 1).Look at almost all our games with Peta at fullback-he plays very well but we don't score many points. Thats not a criticism of him -it just reflects Snakes point scoring genius and creativity as opposed to Hiku's tough uncompromising style.

To put it simply,in my opinion a fit snake for the year makes us good things to win this comp, without him we will need the cards to fall our way in a lot of areas,particularly injuries.

Creativity is stretching his skill-set description but as he has lost his speed this part of his game has slowly developed, more his polish,timing, final pass delivery and anticipation in the red zone is missed.

Manly would be a more dangerous attacking team if they worked with and developed more attack through the middle catering to Hiku's strengths. (strength, footwork, tackle busts, an improving more confident passing game on top of better kick returns)

Manly have always been way too lateral in our structures with sweeping plays obviously to take advantage in some respects with what Brett has to offer but the lack of tries up the middle corridor on top of not enough straight explosive strength plays at times works against us.

Little things like kick returns, footwork, offloading in tackles, tackle busts may not on the surface add points but can add to attacking output just not instantly.

Not saying Peta replaces Brett but Manly will do well improving the attacking straight output through the middle in general.

There was a play against the Roosters in the first half where Hiku just needed to hit the go button but he stepped and prodded a little too much not committing himself fast enough, Brett would have been more dangerous off this play.

If Manly develops more creativity and strength plays through the middle we would blow more of the top level teams off the park a little more often, it is also one of the reasons why we struggle to win the minor premiership.

I would go as far to say Manly would have been fresh and won last years GF on top of most games against the Roosters last year if we had of developed more output through the middle over the past few years.

Technical Coach said:
Creativity is stretching his skill-set description but as he has lost his speed this part of his game has slowly developed, more his polish,timing, final pass delivery and anticipation in the red zone is missed.

Manly would be a more dangerous attacking team if they worked with and developed more attack through the middle catering to Hiku's strengths. (strength, footwork, tackle busts, an improving more confident passing game on top of better kick returns)

Manly have always been way too lateral in our structures with sweeping plays obviously to take advantage in some respects with what Brett has to offer but the lack of tries up the middle corridor on top of not enough straight explosive strength plays at times works against us.

Little things like kick returns, footwork, offloading in tackles, tackle busts may not on the surface add points but can add to attacking output just not instantly.

Not saying Peta replaces Brett but Manly will do well improving the attacking straight output through the middle in general.

There was a play against the Roosters in the first half where Hiku just needed to hit the go button but he stepped and prodded a little too much not committing himself fast enough, Brett would have been more dangerous off this play.

If Manly develops more creativity and strength plays through the middle we would blow more of the top level teams off the park a little more often, it is also one of the reasons why we struggle to win the minor premiership.

I would go as far to say Manly would have been fresh and won last years GF on top of most games against the Roosters last year if we had of developed more output through the middle over the past few years.

It seems we see the middle as the go forward zone and the edges as the creativity zone and the wings the finishing zone.

Actually Manly use the edges for soft less impact go forward also---- in general i do think the way Rugby League teams attack needs an overhaul with more options and movement off the ball on both sides of a ball players hip especially through the middle.

The middle corridor attacking element has been lagging behind way too much leading to teams attacking mostly with the same moves as Melb and Manly for the last 7 years, it is starting to change though.

Is that a lack of creativity out of dummy half or are you talking 1st receivers turning it back inside more often ?

Chip and Chase said:

Is that a lack of creativity out of dummy half or are you talking 1st receivers turning it back inside more often ?

More the first receivers and forwards at the line either ballplaying, offloading, using footwork or even just simple strength plays to attract numbers.

Turning it back inside or using under plays is far too simplistic due to modern fitness levels and defensive structures but a little more creativity and decoys with inside balls on top of halves trailing off the back of explosive punch in the forwards is a simple starting point.

Too often when teams use an inside ball it is telegraphed with only one genuine option, i would use the telegraphed inside runner to my advantage and have a trailing second inside runner using the first as a decoy. The second runner could be further inside or an outside runner sliding in behind the inside hip runner like a short second man play off the inside hip.

A little more work up the middle and penetration will enable Foran or DCE two bites at setting up an outside try. Staying shallow and short in relation to the dummy half and more central for a first spread, then if that fails off a quick play the ball go even wider again in the conventional 5/8 role with the standard 2nd man decoy plays or faceball.

Too often we go wide but lacking any science or plan in the lead up plays, more a case of "time to put the play on now and hope our structures will create a defensive misread".

Now i know this is not a perfect example and you are not always going to get this kind of perfect setup but quickly looking through the second Manly try in the second half of last years GF you can see what i am trying to illustrate. Attracting numbers in the middle with Watmoughs footwork and then two bites at scoring a try creates a more conducive attacking environment for our structures to flourish.

I'm not suggesting the way Watmough created the defensive numbers up the middle is the way or only way, all i am saying is any type of lead up work that can attract more defensive numbers up the middle is in our best interest and should be encouraged be it footwork, offloads, short passing or explosive punch plays etc etc.

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8