Women In League Round

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

JEF

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
Found this on facebook:

Each year I post this so the Angels will not be forgotten for their role in starting Women In League.

Thank you Eagles Angels!

Nov 2001 the Sea Eagles were in dire straits with the Northern Eagles debacle. Wendy Harmer and Sarah Murdoch got together other high profile female supporters on the northern beaches and organised a fundraiser at the Manly Leagues Club raising $80k but more importantly attracting the eye of Max Delmege who came on board as the major sponsor. Ian Tho...mpson was then the CEO. He along with this group of girls saved the Manly club. The next day the late Daily Telegraph Sport Journo Peter Frilingos referred to these girls as the ‘Eagles Angels’ and the name stuck.

2002 -The Manly club were the first to realise the importance of marketing to women. They developed a female only lounge. They were the first to create a female jersey designed then by Collette Dinnigan. They attracted their own sponsor Adecco, adding financial success to the clubs growing fortunes and on field success. Each year new Angels were inducted into this amazing group of women. They organised fundraisers for charities and for the club.

In 2005 Domayne came on board as their major sponsor and decorated the lounge with a chandelier and Florence Broadhurst wallpaper. One evening Katie Page Domayne’s CEO came to the lounge along with David Gallop the then NRL boss. Katie's comment to David ‘The NRL has to do something for women. This is fantastic!’ Wendy shared ideas with the NRL as to what sort of activities the Angels did for the club and how it could work for other clubs. From this the NRL Women in League was born in 2006 and is still going strong to this day. The Angels stopped existing after Dec 2014.

I just thought it was important people recognised the importance of these women to the Women in League round. They are the most amazing inspiring group of women you could ever meet. They all love Manly passionately and worked (unpaid) helping to promote the club and Women in League and adding hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Manly Sea Warringah Sea Eagles.

Below are the names of the Eagles Angels.

Wendy Harmer
Sarah Murdoch
Kerri Pottharst
Layne Beachley
Nici Andronicus
Shelley Taylor Smith
Louise Sauvage
Shelley Oates Wilding
Debbie Watson
Zali Steggall
Annie Sargeant
Naomi Flood
Melinda Gainsford Taylor
Melissa Femia
Brooke Hanson
Amy O’Mara
Laura Enever
Sarah Peattie
Tracey Spicer
Tracy Bevan
Jenny Owens
Jean Hay
Maryanne Fogarty
Krystal Barter

Thank you Eagles Angels to your contribution for Women In League. Thank you to their sponsors – Adecco, Domayne, Westfield Warringah Mall and Lavazza.

The sad part about the Women in League round is that with this weekend and the lead up to it, you can bet that the role the Eagle's Angels played in establishing the round in the first place will be largely, if not completely ignored by the media.

The Angels did as much as anyone to help keep Manly going at a time when we were literally going broke and looking down the barrel of extinction. They should be acknowledged (and widely thanked) for that and I still think its an absolute travesty that the Sea Eagles basically pushed them aside like they did.

From the contact I have had with the Angels on Facebook, one person was largely responsibly for the club casting them aside.

I won't mention any names, but he's not a.....shall we say 'good sort'.
giphy.gif

Oh really

Yet another thing the current owners and their lap dog ( good sort) have destroyed from the past.

Seriously , it’s a ****ing disgrace!!

Unfortunately, the Angels were like a few others around the club at the time. They didn't support him when he got sacked for his comment and now that his family owns the club, those people are gone.

I rarely say anything about it, I just tend to nod in agreement. But he's one big, fat CANCER on this great club of ours.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8