Woods Stayski

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Ryan

Journey Man
Why the immediate negativity?

This Woods deal is actually good business for Manly. He didn’t do that badly last year, has a ton of experience, and we’ve got him on an $80k deal outside the top 30 cap.

For once we’re actually doing smart deals.

Because Rugby League in 2023 is built around up-tempo, possession based, high impact, mobile rugby league players. You see that with the Brisbane / Penrith types, and I see us regressing in those areas against these teams, with the inclusion of more "power" based players versus the Samuela Fainu types we've just released.

We've come 11th / 12th in the past two years (under Hasler / Siebold). What makes you think we've taken strides to bridge the gap between us and The Panthers? I'd be very interested to see your analysis.

What DIFFERENT strategy have we introduced that will help us go to the next level?

EDIT: I'm glad many are on the bus with you though. That said, I'm thinking they are setting themselves up for a whole world of disappointment as we scrape our way to 12th - 15th yet again.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Because Rugby League in 2023 is built around up-tempo, possession based, high impact, mobile rugby league players. You see that with the Brisbane / Penrith types, and I see us regressing in those areas against these teams, with the inclusion of more "power" based players versus the Samuela Fainu types we've just released.

We've come 11th / 12th in the past two years (under Hasler / Siebold). What makes you think we've taken strides to bridge the gap between us and The Panthers? I'd be very interested to see your analysis.

What DIFFERENT strategy have we introduced that will help us go to the next level?

EDIT: I'm glad many are on the bus with you though. That said, I'm thinking they are setting themselves up for a whole world of disappointment as we scrape our way to 12th - 15th yet again.
Not trying to cast doubt on mobility, up temponess etc. its the current successful style but both bronx and riff have the best 2 game managers in the league to compliment this style

they also have a huge impact on posession that allows that style of play to be fresh and energetic for longer periods
more kicks are challenged and used as attacking weapons instead of meekly handing over possession on last.

manly al

First Grader

Not wrong there with the ruck dominance requirements in recent seasons .
Manly partially able to meet the criteria . Paseka , Sipley and Bulemor able to or having the capacity to provide the necessary mid field intensity based on last season or a good part of it , Jake and Lodge more then capable of providing the necessary input as well .
Waddell still should have a good motor and being able to provide some useful stints . Not certain with Brown but can only hope . Maybe James can offer some welcome vigor .
Very apparent what value Haumole can provide .
Problem will remain with Alioia and Shu in terms of what they may or may not be able to contribute and the necessary form level required and commensurate with their higher end pay packets .
Always hope that Burbo can keep some general improvement up and get a slightly better tackling technique .
Some reasons to adopt a slightly more optimistic outlook but wish that it was a little mor clearcut

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"
Worth a thought to think about the forwards on the field in the most recent Australia / NZ test.

Australia:
Haas
Hunt
Fa'asuamaleaui
Martin
Cotter
Yeo

Grant
Collins
Carrigan

New Zealand
Fisher-Harris
Foran
Leota
Papali'i
Nikora
Tapine

Asofa-Solomona
Neame
Thompson

We've all been told that forwards win the big games, but if anyone told me that the above NZ forwards would be part of a 30 to 0 victory over the above Australian forwards, I'd have said that you were crazy. I only rate three to four of the above NZ forwards highly (Fisher-Harris, Tapine, Asofa-Solomona, maybe Leota); while Australia were chock full of forwards who dominated at SOO level.

On paper - Australia looked to have tons of mobility and running metre damage in the players named above.

Get your team enthusiasm/commitment and structures wrong, and even the best forwards can look ordinary.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
On paper - Australia looked to have tons of mobility and running metre damage in the players named above.

Get your team enthusiasm/commitment and structures wrong, and even the best forwards can look ordinary.
Nothing new here feathered friend
Upsets happen all the time
And records are meant to be broken and the Kiwis did just that
With a record win over the Aussies
1699322608606.png

Stewbojevic

Reserve Grader

I don’t disagree with you. I just think the jump to negativity about the whole pack was out of context given the thread is about Woods. In isolation, getting Woods for $80k is good business.

Will it get us closer to Penrith? No, of course not.

I still think we need 1 or 2 high tempo forwards in our top 30 to be more competitive. But if we had them, with Woods as depth playing Blacktown, it’d be a good outcome.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
IMO its that weakness we need to smash before erything else and thats getting players with the right mind and grit. our resillience is about the lowest in the league. Dessie gave us moments of grit but it looked like he had to keep the the speeches on full dial and repeat, it wasnt natural and still isnt
IMO it is the coaching staff job to get the players up for the occasion
and it is imperative that they also have the right players on the field that are up to it to be able to get the job done

Woods has been retired years ago by his two previous clubs the Sharks and the Dragons
Woods is on the lowest end minimum wage for a reason and as we all know
You get what you pay for

We will agree to disagree feathered friend
Have a Great day :)

LeonardCohen

Bencher
Worth a thought to think about the forwards on the field in the most recent Australia / NZ test.

Australia:
Haas
Hunt
Fa'asuamaleaui
Martin
Cotter
Yeo

Grant
Collins
Carrigan

New Zealand
Fisher-Harris
Foran
Leota
Papali'i
Nikora
Tapine

Asofa-Solomona
Neame
Thompson

We've all been told that forwards win the big games, but if anyone told me that the above NZ forwards would be part of a 30 to 0 victory over the above Australian forwards, I'd have said that you were crazy. I only rate three to four of the above NZ forwards highly (Fisher-Harris, Tapine, Asofa-Solomona, maybe Leota); while Australia were chock full of forwards who dominated at SOO level.

Maybe Leota? You only maybe rate the best forward on ground in the last two NRL Grand Finals?

Also, Nikora is rated by many as the best line running edge forward in the NRL and has terrific speed.

It’s a monster pack and I’m not surprised one bit that they’re a force to be reckoned with.

I do agree with the notion that a no frills pack can get the job done in many circumstances, but (a) not consistently across an NRL season and (b) this Kiwi pack are not an example.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I do agree with the notion that a no frills pack can get the job done in many circumstances, but (a) not consistently across an NRL season and (b) this Kiwi pack are not an example.
The Kiwi pack certainly has the pigs that can pack a knock out punch
They are far from no frills They are ferocious .

Nothing Passive about these Animals
1699325556018.png

IMO it is the coaching staff job to get the players up for the occasion
and it is imperative that they also have the right players on the field that are up to it to be able to get the job done

Woods has been retired years ago by his two previous clubs the Sharks and the Dragons
Woods is on the lowest end minimum wage for a reason and as we all know
You get what you pay for

We will agree to disagree feathered friend
Have a Great day :)
Bozo there might be something you're missing.

But as always love your work feathered friend!

Heckenberg

Reserve Grader
I do get your underlying point, though.

What you're really saying is that it appears that we're relying on the quantity/experience of our middle forwards - as opposed to how 'dynamic' they appear (aka 'speed', mobility, etc) for results next year.

Quantity vs quality?

The ability to dominate other forward packs based upon attributes which forwards must have in today's game.

You're right, @Ryan - not a lot of known 'runners' in that lot. I would love for re-incarnations of Owen Cunnigham, Daniel Gartner and Beaver Menzies to suddenly re-appear in our pack.

We're going to need impact minutes from Sipley and Paseka to help with go-forward at any kind of speed. Lodge was good at this in the Cronulla game he came on as a sub in; hopefully he can be again after round 8 next year when he is expected to play again after his injury.

Woods will be Woods again next year - we know what we're getting. Probably cameo appearances at various stages.

Nathan Brown - question mark on that one. Hopefully energy rather than penalties.

Jake - maybe more gym work needed for the back half of your career. Sheer will and desire will get you so far long term in the NRL. Maybe become DCE's training buddy.

Schuster - fitness and motivation. Then anything is possible. That's what this off-season is for.

Josh Aloiai - appears to have been playing injured for quite a while. Fixable or not fixable? Again, the off-season will be telling.

We'll all know if the above '2024 middle forward strategy' is working or not three rounds in. If it doesn't - and it is a gamble - it could impact a top 8 spot and Seibold's career at Manly. Time will tell.
We also have bullemore whos bloody b
Nathan Brown
Aaron Woods
Matt Lodge
Jake Trbojevic
Josh Schuster
Josh Aloiai

Two questions:
1. If these 6 forwards were to run the 100 metre dash (assuming they actually COULD run 100 metres in one session), who would win ?

2. How many hours would it take ?
Bullemore is probably the fastest middle forward in the comp and you’ve conveniently left him out.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
"Even though supplementary contracts sit outside the top-30 playing list, Woods would still be available for selection from round one."

"A supplementary deal for the Englishman means he would be unable to play in the NRL until Round 11 unless the club apply for special dispensation."

So who is right? Duffman's quote I think is from SMH, '47ers is zerotackle, about the young fullback we got from Knights.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
We need to get supremely fit and strong so we are not overwhelmed in the tackle and can effect fast play the balls and crisp service from dummy half. That requires bodies in motion and players learning how to run between defenders with kate foot work. Finally everybody putting in 100 percent all of the time. Nothing else will do. No offence to Woodsie but the game has left him behind.

Adz

Reserve Grader
Supposedly the Dev contract players can play from round 1.
There is a cap amount set for train and trial or supplement players who will be available from round 11,I think the maximum amount payable for these guys is $80K per season.
This was mentioned by Gus Gould a while back.

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"
Maybe Leota? You only maybe rate the best forward on ground in the last two NRL Grand Finals?

Also, Nikora is rated by many as the best line running edge forward in the NRL and has terrific speed.

It’s a monster pack and I’m not surprised one bit that they’re a force to be reckoned with.

When I said 'highly', I meant higher than their Australian Test Team opponents - not comparing them to NRL first-graders.

Tino and Hass would have to be amongst the best middle forwards on the planet atm, based on their performances at the top level over the last 24 months.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
11 5 6 -88 12