World Cup 2010 South Africa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jesus (AKA Josh Kennedy) needs to be in the side. I don't know what Verbeek was thinking in playing Cahill up front. Thank god he will be leaving after the world cup, bring on a decent coach like Gus.

The scary aspect of all this is once the likes of Neill, Moore, Grella, Cahill, Bresciano, Kewell etc end their careers, can't see them around in another 4 years we have had no real junior development

Great to see the Swiss knock off Spain last night, it’s been a really great tournament so far with interesting results.

That'll be the 1 and only loss for Spain in the tournament. As soon as Torres came on they looked a different side. The squandered a lot of chances early on.

Germany and Argentina have been the best two sides in the cup so far and it is no coincidence that both teams played with the world cup ball in their domestic leagues. Both teams beat high quality opposition. I will never write the Italians or Brazilians off nor the Portugese, Dutch or Spanish but so far those two seem the stand outs.

clontaago link said:
That'll be the 1 and only loss for Spain in the tournament. As soon as Torres came on they looked a different side. The squandered a lot of chances early on.

Xabi Alonso's bullet from about 30 out that hit the crossbar was pretty good too. 

Grella is out for the Ghana match as well with a knee strain, we are going to have to play Bresciano in the midfield and hope he is up to it, probably with Kewell as an attacking midfielder and Kennedy up front. 

Sorry to say clontaago but Spain will be their usual self and choke. They have such great players but never seem to do well in big international matches. Chile and the Swiss to qualify in that group.

I think the dark horses are Netherlands, Paraguay and Italy (Italy played extremely well against Paraguay who recorded ten wins to qualify for the WC), the most in the group along with Chile - they defeated Brazil and Argentina.

Italy look so much better in a 4-4-2 formation than a 4-2-3-1

England will also be there. Would be interesting to see Argentina Vs England in the final. Go the Argies.

Argentina or Italy to win unless Australia can pull out a miracle.

I was trying to work out if Serbia beating Germany was good or bad for us. I don't think anything has changed in that we still probably need to win the next 2 games. F&A will be in Germany's favour if teams end up on one win and Serbia already banking a win probably means it is tougher. Maybe someone like ssar can give me more hope by saying it puts us in a better position :)

Serbia winning was bad for us. If Germany won all their matches we could have got thru with a win over Ghana and a draw with Serbia. As it stands now after our unlucky draw with Ghana we have two slim chances.
If Ghana beat Germany and we beat Serbia we go thru OR if we win by 2 or 3 goals and Germany beat Ghana by 2 or 3 we might make it on goal difference.

If only Wilkshire had of tucked his chance away.

OneEyedEagle link said:
Sorry to say clontaago but Spain will be their usual self and choke. They have such great players but never seem to do well in big international matches. Chile and the Swiss to qualify in that group.

I think the dark horses are Netherlands, Paraguay and Italy (Italy played extremely well against Paraguay who recorded ten wins to qualify for the WC), the most in the group along with Chile - they defeated Brazil and Argentina.

Italy look so much better in a 4-4-2 formation than a 4-2-3-1

England will also be there. Would be interesting to see Argentina Vs England in the final. Go the Argies.

Argentina or Italy to win unless Australia can pull out a miracle.

England?? They struggled to draw against Algeria!!!

I said the Aussies would finish last in their Group, which they will.

Spain will still take it out.

Well Spain couldn't even beat the Swiss so they aren't exactly putting out great formlines. 

Not too sure about Italy either as they couldn't even beat the Kiwis. 

The southern hemisphere teams have impressed the most so far (except for us of course) so Argentina or Brazil for mine. 

Both England and Italy were woeful, so much talent yet can't beat the sides that they should win against.

I still don't think Spain can take it out. Argentina, Holland and Brazil still look the goods.

The Gronk link said:
Well Spain couldn't even beat the Swiss so they aren't exactly putting out great formlines. 

Thats only because my man Torres only got 15 minutes game time as he is still recovering from his knee injury.

Tomorrow morning when Spain beat Honduras 3-0 they will be back on track.

what a great cup so far!

2nd round matches have been cracking. Onnly shame is we did not have a go at the germans

Spain have the talent. Though the pressure might be getting to them.

Argentina are the team i want to watch the most, Messi is carving at the moment.

lsz link said:
what a great cup so far!

2nd round matches have been cracking. Onnly shame is we did not have a go at the germans

It's a wide open competition, I too have been thinking the same thing especially seeing the underdogs performing.

Messi is a gun player

Don't forget the Argies are one of three teams that used this balloon ... I mean ball in their National League, along with the Krauts and the Yanks. Got to be some sort of advantage.

The French officials will have to wear a burqa to be allowed back into France - then again, maybe not. What a complete disaster for the former champs.

Great effort from the Aussies overnight to show that they deserved to be at the Cup. Send-offs and a poor game plan/formation against the Germans hurt us big-time. Just goes to show that first games don't often win you a place in the play-offs but they can lose you a place. Like many, there was a thread of hope when we led 2-0 and had scorable shots whilst the Germans were peppering Ghana at the same time. Key moment in the cup for us was the miss by Chipperfield with 10 to go in the Ghana game!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6