2011 Membership is out now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Clon, my free one the night before was probably better.

And it really wasn't free, the hotel put some food on and I took some money out of what I was making to put that on, and we had heaps of food for everyone.

I really try and give people great value for money when I do a function, if I include $25 a head in my package costs I usually put on about $35.00 in value....I would hate to see anyone walk away either hungry or pissed off.

But I know where you are coming from as to the official functions, although there are some issues such as players coming (eating and drinking), sponsors coming (easting and drinking) that have to be accounted for....so it can't be compared to the ones I do.

No worries Clon - I don't organise or run them but as with Mark we tend to give feedback to the club on what works, what doesn't and feedback from people there if need be.

There are various types of events - "official" club events whether they are "pay to attend" or free at the Leagues club post game through to Mark's MWSE gatherings or the informal meetings pre-game for local away games.

Some, like in Brisbane can be pre-game events (generally at the LA hotel) where of course the 1st grade can't attend but ex-players and club officials attend - some are post game where the team do get to

I've been to pretty much all the events and they are getting better and in the main the feedback is reasonably positive - the amount of food available has been an issue and passed on but generally the ability to mingle with the players and management/coaching staff is the main drawcard which both sides enjoy.

Ordinarily there is someone checking names of those entering the area as Ajaay indicated and wrist bands issued (No band no buying drinks or getting food) so not sure re that comment.

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=185168.msg295337#msg295337 date=1284597203]
Goldie. In all seriousness Gronk and I attended a club function last year, it was $50 from memory and all we got was some pathetic finger food. Nothing else, I mean nothing else. The venue where it was held was open to anyone so we could have just wandered in and bought a beer and mingled.

It was extremely poor value. My advice would be to take the 3 game membership mate.

Vid, I'm not usually one to take pot shots at the club but that function was so poor it was unbelievable.

Which one was that?Don't remember too many that were open.
[/quote]

And for $50 there wasn't even free beer. 

I'll look at the out of town packages this time around - sounds like some people on here have managed to impress on the club the importance of a value proposition if you want people to sign up. 

Gronk...I never include drinks in any function I organise (and remember these are NOT the official ones)...and the reason for that is we have kids and non drinkers. So I don't think you'll see a "drinks included" function in 2011, and certainly I wouldn't do that.

I would say the biggest complaint I have heard is not enough food.

That certainly was the case for Townsville earlier in the year, but didn't seem to be the case at the Gold Coast on the long wekeend.

I always give feedback (as people seem to complain to Bob and myself more than the club....but that's ok as well) to the club after any function.

I think you also have to realise that the club puts a value on providing the players, who are giving up their personal time and are very happy for photo's to be taken and for signatures to be had.

The Melbourne Function Clon refers to earlier in this thread was a pre game get together in Melbourne, so the players (except Brett Stewart) were not in attendance.

I'd still urge people to come to these, especially if you live at one of the away venues and see the players maybe only once every year or once every second year.

I think the regulars who come on my tours are starting to think there are too many of these functions, and so in 2011 we may even start to make attendance at these "optional" rather than include them.

But for those who only get the occasional opportunity you'll have a lot of fun and it's most worthwhile, reagrdless of cost v what you get.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Note also we'll look at running a bus tour down for the MWTS to Canberra (if there's a game there in 2011 and really there should be as we have not played there for a while). And we would include a post match function if there was one (and can't imagine there wouldn't be as these seem to be on now for every away game).

Isnt that the game where cuthbo got sent off and we won with 12 on the field from the 20thish minute?

I think you also have to realise that the club puts a value on providing the players, who are giving up their personal time and are very happy for photo's to be taken and for signatures to be had.

The Melbourne Function Clon refers to earlier in this thread was a pre game get together in Melbourne, so the players (except Brett Stewart) were not in attendance.

If the club thinks that providing players entitles them to charge more than that is just a farce. It's not the players personal time, they are required to attend such events as part of their contracts. The club should be doing all it can to attract supporters and members and charging $50 for a sausage roll and a chance to have your photo taken with a player is not the right way to go about it.

Gronk...I never include drinks in any function I organise (and remember these are NOT the official ones)...and the reason for that is we have kids and non drinkers. So I don't think you'll see a \"drinks included\" function in 2011, and certainly I wouldn't do that.

I would say the biggest complaint I have heard is not enough food.

That certainly was the case for Townsville earlier in the year, but didn't seem to be the case at the Gold Coast on the long wekeend.

I always give feedback (as people seem to complain to Bob and myself more than the club....but that's ok as well) to the club after any function.

I'd still urge people to come to these, especially if you live at one of the away venues and see the players maybe only once every year or once every second year.

I think the regulars who come on my tours are starting to think there are too many of these functions, and so in 2011 we may even start to make attendance at these \"optional\" rather than include them.

But for those who only get the occasional opportunity you'll have a lot of fun and it's most worthwhile, reagrdless of cost v what you get.

Thanks Mark,

I'm aware of the details of the function that Clon referred to as I was standing there next to him. 

If the club puts a value on the player's time then it would also make sense to demonstrate it by not making the function open to anyone who walks in off the street. 

I'm not starstruck like some are, so asking Jason King 3500 times when he will be back from injury didn't appeal to me.  So it was $50 for party pies in a pub. 

No drama's guys, we'll make sure this is passed on or the next function.....as I say these are not organised by me, I in fact pay like everyone else.....and I do have to agree with you. it was poor food.I don't think you guys came to the one I hosted the night before but there was no charge for that ad there was bucket loads of food.

Gronk did I meet you that night??? (sorry I don't seem to remember)....I did meet Clon and Mrs Clon but I guess the 20 or so Corona's I had may have somewhat clouded the brain cells

I'll just say this,guys.(and I've got no financial interest in Mark) He hasn't put on a bad trip/function yet.I've been on a few (Leeds,Melbourne,GC x 2,Townsville etc),and I've never gone hungry at  a Tramby function.The eagles functions,while good,dont reach Mark's high standards.A few of us "regulars" have been talking about picking one away function only next year,and all trying to get to that one.That said,you get to see our own players more away,than at home....don't know why!!

Thanks Ayjay, which is why I'll probably make them optional next year.

But don't worry I'll also be conveying the information to the club as well.

I have a different motive in my functions, I want everyone to get together, have a great time and if it's a pre game get together have enough to not be hungry when they go to the game.

If it's post game you can get off a little lighter......but I see where Clon and Gronk are coming from, $50 for two party pies(or similar) is not a good look.

Yeah dont get me wrong guys this was a club organised function, not one of Marks.

I went to both the Pre game function (arranged by Mark, cost nothing, and had finger food) that was where you met (and Pete fell in love with) Mrs Clon, and the after game function (which was organised by the club and in my opinion was poor)

Mark's function was spot on.

clontaago link said:
Was at Rydges after last years semi against the Storm. The only thing separating anyone was a piece of rope.

Mark, this was the second game...you weren't there

No drama's guys, we'll make sure this is passed on or the next function.....as I say these are not organised by me, I in fact pay like everyone else.....and I do have to agree with you. it was poor food.I don't think you guys came to the one I hosted the night before but there was no charge for that ad there was bucket loads of food.

Gronk did I meet you that night??? (sorry I don't seem to remember)....I did meet Clon and Mrs Clon but I guess the 20 or so Corona's I had may have somewhat clouded the brain cells

Yeah we met that night mate.  You and Vid were hoping to perve on Mrs Clon but she was home sick - you met them at the storm match during the season but I was in the USA when that game was on. 

I'm sure your do was much better - but as I say I think the club has heard that there needs to be a perceived value for the cash, and have started trying to show that.  It wouldn't surprise me if the functions improved too. 

I wonder why the NRL can't sell multi-ground tickets?That way,if ur a Manly supporter,u could buy say,an 8 game ticket,which you could use for any amount of games at Brookie,then the rest at away games.This would save heaps on booking fees for away games.They must have the technology to use tickets at all grounds,as NRL officials have them.

No Gronk I wasn't at the second game, and Mrs Clon was at the one I was at so I think Bluedog was right...it was the second game.

Anyway as I said if we have met and I can't remember you my apologies, I have met literally hundreds of people these last three years.

And by the way Mr and Mrs WAMF were there as well.

We should have had a group hug!!

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=185168.msg295460#msg295460 date=1284619269]

Yeah we met that night mate.  You and Vid were hoping to perve on Mrs Clon but she was home sick - you met them at the storm match during the season but I was in the USA when that game was on. 

I'm sure your do was much better - but as I say I think the club has heard that there needs to be a perceived value for the cash, and have started trying to show that.  It wouldn't surprise me if the functions improved too. 
[/quote]

I thought you were Mrs Clon, ever since i met you 2 on your date in 08

I think the club is getting better at putting functions on. The GC one would have been expensive to run. They hired a much larger room at the hotel than the previous year and the food started off pretty poor but got better as the night went on. Overall I agree with Clon - the nibbles put on at official functions have been dreadful in the past.

The GC function went a lot longer than advertised, the accessability to players, officials and past greats was terrific and for me was definitely a highlight of that weekend.

I think also MB they have taken on board a bit some of the critical comments (I have been on their backs about this issue). There are two issues.

1) not enough food
2) and in some cases there is enough but it just comes out at one area and does not spread around...so the ones near the food door guts themseleves, and the ones across the other side never see a thing.

Although in regards to Clons original comment (Melbourne) number 1 was the issue.

But as you say things seem to be improving, and despite what has been said here everyone should still make at least one of these, they are gerat fun.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2