2016 Halves Choice Merged Mega-Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Even Hasson has a good NYC highlights reel somewhere on youtube. Both DCE and Foran are about to become the highest paid players in the NRL after learning from Joey so I don't think he's to blame.

Well, yes and no. Joey got here in 2013. Our halves had done pretty well before his arrival. If I can just concentrate on DCE, in 2010 Cherry captained the SSCSE for most of the year and was named the Queensland Cup Player of the Year, and Rookie of the Year. His performances in the side saw him selected to the Queensland Residents team where he was also named team captain.

After debuting in the NRL 2011,Steve McNamara offered Cherry-Evans a starting spot on the England team for the 4 Nations as he was eligible for England through his English born mother Kellie. DCE declined the offer, declaring himself available only to play representative football for both Queensland and Australia. We went on that year to beat the Warriors in the GF, and DCE picked up the Dally M rookie of the year award. That same year he was also named by the Rugby League International Federation in its annual awards as the worlds best half back!

Since then, he has played for Qld and Australia, but could it be argued that he was headed in that direction anyway with his natural game, therefore, was it Joey's influence that got him to that level, or could he have managed it on his own, coached by anybody else??

Joey had some pretty good clay to work with already! The last couple of years though.....

And why hasn't Jack progressed? The clip above seems to show he had potential.....enough for us to buy him at any rate. I wonder why he didn't kick on? Has he had injuries, or is he simply not happy? Who knows....

Last edited:
Lower grade footage is not a good indicator. I remember mark pocock, Brett Atkins, and more recently Michael oldfield all being a cut above every other player in reserve grade. It doesn't necessarily translate up a grade. The 3 I mentioned were solid in 1sts, but looked like superstars in reserves.

Fair enough @mozgrame, I thought Joey arrived at the same time Des left us. I think JLJ is just a very average footy player, nothing terrible but nothing spectacular either, reminds me of jeff robson.

Joey has a great footy brain and can dissect and analyse plays better than anyone else, himself and Gus Gould are the only people I enjoy listening to from the Ch 9 commentary team. That being said I think Joey would be better at developing more structured players rather than ad lib types such as Sandow and Benji. I think Sezer could be the type of player to develop really nicely under Joey.

With DCE leaving, to me Todd Carney would be the ideal replacement. He is such a similar style player to Chez, great kicking game, great passing game, speed, creativity, and played at the highest level. He did a stupid thing, but really think he could excel at Manly, under the guidence of the senior playing group. He would know it's his second shot and last chance and could be great for us. Any player with 7 minutes worth of highlights in the NRL has got talent, and this guy has a lot!

And I know these are only highlights of the U/20s, but they are still very very impressive

I would be very happy with these two on board next year - especially with the way the forwards are improving and with additional funds to add to the forward rooster.

I'd be happy with Carney, especially his long kicking game. Something we need especially if our forward pack is hit by injuries!

He's got talent. Can't argue with that. Unfortunately he's also a gifted d*ckhead, and will never be remembered for his football skills, but rather for his off field stupidity.

I'd much rather we bring our young fellas through than waste a heap of money on a muppet like Carney.

It's hard as I agree he looks good on the highlights and can play but what about the lowlights and all the trouble he would cause us when he does let us down? He has made promises he won't **** up before and always does **** up. Always.

I've met the bloke outside of footy and he's a genuine nice guy (I know, this surprised me too). He pissed in his own mouth which is a bloody disgusting thing to do but I can sure get over it. He's no Blake Ferguson assaulting girls at night clubs, he's no Russel Packer stomping on blokes heads, he's no Rob Lui bashing his own girlfriend, he's not Danny Wicks or half the Titans team dealing or snorting Cocaine.

If he's given a strict contract I'd be willing to give him a go and let him win us a premiership.

Carney had huge potential, but I recall him in that Melbourne SOO as having no ideas under pressure.
Since then he has had serious leg issues and is not getting any younger. Hate to think how much pain killers he is taking for his smashed ribs. But all these drugs weaken your bone structure and more injuries are prone to happen.

There must be players in the NSW or QLD Cups or the second tier NZ competitions that deserve a chance in FG.@:cool:

JLJ hasn't had the luxury of time at the FG level, he could blossom if he is guided. :inlove:

Some of you have fertile imaginations. Yes he was a once a young player with talent, but he has issues and they are not short term issues. The only year he ever did well was the year the whole Roosters team gave themselves an alcohol ban.

1fe1ea0cd7bc36611d4a22c95edc973bf5bbfbad3fcc5f28f81062b9c53298f4.jpg

Captain Obvious would declare him as talented, but deep down I have this nagging worry that it will end in tears. I was wrong about Big Willie so maybe Carney can do the same. I still doubt it though.

What happened to the sea eagles no dick head policy, we lose a couple and that's thrown out the door ?

To: Kelly
cc: Silvertails

I still delude myself that you and independent third parties will get Cherry to sign before round 13 on an offer superior to the Titans. Still don't want to lose the kid even though he had some ordinary moments last night.

Sure, this is another keep Cherry thread for us Silvertails but wanting all the long timers on this site to hear my hurt and rant; in an effort to stimulate some discussion on the opportunities we have to exploit third party arrangements.

Yeah, the kid had some moments he may regret but it's far from all his doing. Cut him some slack! During his recent interview, he mentioned that "Manly fans have high expectations and they can be brutal". Yes, I do believe that some of our sentiments on this site have filtered back to him. I don't blame the kid for signing with the Titans, given the circumstances that were out of his control, including fans on this site that jumped very quickly to wanting to wash away his existence.

He is a precious talent and let's not forget how much we have celebrated his rise and growth as a special player and respected husband, father and person.

I just don't get it. Why have we given up on wanting to keep him? Why arent you and Penn doing everything legally possible to get him to renege on the Titans deal?

Let's be frank here, third party deals, in their current format are misunderstood, inconstently applied and open to all sorts of rorting; but they are the current rules that we may operate within. Unlimited deals apply to third party deals as long as they are negotiated without the club and approved by the NRL. What does negotiation mean? Surely we are permitted to 'introduce' third parties to Cherry.

Why aren't you coming out with a statement claiming that you haven't given up on retaining Cherry. If you dont, then I have made my mind up on you; a man without care or wisdom, willing to give up on Cherry without a fight. If you do, well then, you will match the super feats of Arko, doing everything he can to keep the talent. He didn't always win, but he did put a fight .... And I know the Bozo story.

The salary cap is a joke. Buts lets at least make an effort to play within the rules. Lockyer was on the salary cap books for 250K pa which was supplemented by rich third party deals. Johns was on the books for 500K pa and the NRL kicked in the rest. For the love of God, if there is one, why on earth aren't we moving mountains right now to keep Cherry. I don't buy the excuse that we want to keep him but we don't want to use up 1.2 to 1.4m per year of our cap to keep him. We should be offering him a 750 a year contract and he should be getting an additional 750 from third party arrangements.

Pull your finger out Kelly and take a stand. Do what you have to do to have oversight of a deal that gives him 7.5m over the next 5 years. Put that sort of an offer to him and I'm sure he will stay. Come out now with a public statement to state your intent. Follow that up with sealing the deal. For the love of God, I want Cherry to stay.

Carney signed a two year deal with the dragons so ask do we want him if we also have to pay out his current team?

No. Rather Maloney who could kick a few goals too and doesn't have Carneys bum hammys

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8