2017 Rugby League World Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Turbo is 100 years young

DOaop_-VAAAbzvx.jpg
What a great photo.
They have dead set stepped back in time.

1st Fiji 3w 0L 6pt +140
2nd PNG 3w 0L 6pt +116
3rd AUS 3w 0L 6pt +94
4th Tonga 3w 0L 6pt +66

5. N. Zeelund 2w 1L 4pt +92
6. Ireland 2w 1L 4pt +44
7. England 2w 1L 4pt +35

8. Italy 1w 2L 2pts -6
9. Lebanon 1w 2L 2pt -42

10. Samoa 0w 2L 1D 1pt -44
11. Scootlund 0w 2L 1D 1pt -114

12. France 0w 3L 0pt -87
13. Wales 0w 3L 0pt -138
14. U.S.A. 0w 3L 0pt -156

So Ireland comes away with 2 wins/4 points, Italy 1 win/2points and miss the finals, whereas Samoa fails to win a game and somehow is in the finals!!?? Seriously!

Powered by ForumApps

Based on the results and F/A, regardless of which pool they were in, the 8 quarter finalists (in order) should be:

Fiji, PNG, Australia, Tonga, NZ, Ireland, England and Italy.

Personally I think Ireland and Italy have every right to feel screwed over. Both had a better record than Samoa and Lebanon but they got through simply because of the pools they were in.

The way it works is understandable and I believe the correct way

The pools are weighted to try and get the stronger nations playing each other. The reason Ireland have more wins than Samoa/Lebanon, is because they got to play the likes of Wales and USA instead of having to play 2 matches against Aus/NZ/Tonga/England. If Scotland and Ireland swapped positions up the results would be totally different

The tougher pools making up the majority of the quarter finalists makes sense in this tournament

The way it works is understandable and I believe the correct way

The pools are weighted to try and get the stronger nations playing each other. The reason Ireland have more wins than Samoa/Lebanon, is because they got to play the likes of Wales and USA instead of having to play 2 matches against Aus/NZ/Tonga/England. If Scotland and Ireland swapped positions up the results would be totally different

The tougher pools making up the majority of the quarter finalists makes sense in this tournament

Like you I understand how it works, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I mean, Ireland won 2 of their three games yet misses out on a quarter final place while Samoa didn't win a single game and only have one draw to show for their 3 pool games, yet they get through simply based on what pool they were in.

Sorry but that to me is far from being correct. IMO its total crap.

Like you I understand how it works, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I mean, Ireland won 2 of their three games yet misses out on a quarter final place while Samoa didn't win a single game and only have one draw to show for their 3 pool games, yet they get through simply based on what pool they were in.

Sorry but that to me is far from being correct. IMO its total crap.

Conversely, if you wanted to do it another way, you have to seed it straight down the line, No Aus v Eng or NZ v Tonga already played as they would all be at the head of each pool, and the Samoans then get a fairer pool where they probably are the 2nd strongest lineup and pick up wins, while Ireland most likely doesn't as they play tougher opposition

Probably isn't a right or wrong way to do it, but I think for interest in the tournament and getting punters in for pool games, they have gone about things the right way

IMO, regardless that Pool's A & B had 4 teams and C & D had 3 teams and the relative strength of each pool, the quarter finals should comprise of the top 2 from each pool, simple as that. Lebanon and Samoa are being rewarded with a quarter final birth simply because they happened to be in Pool's A & B respectively despite the fact that both Ireland and Italy actually had better records and F/A.

How is that the right way to go about it?

Ireland - Played 3, Won 2, Lost 1, Draw 0, F/A +44
Italy - Played 3, Won 1, Lost 2, Draw 0, F/A -2
Lebanon - Played 3, Won 1, Lost 2, Draw 0, F/A -42
Samoa - Played 3, Won 0, Lost 2, Draw 1, F/A -44

How is it right that Lebanon and Samoa advance while Ireland and Italy miss out?

Samoa lost 2 games and only drew their third, yet are in the quarters while Ireland won 2 of their 3 games and miss out. Whichever way you look at it, its not right.

In that case above though teams like Samoa and Lebanon are being penalised for being higher ranked while lower ranked teams get an easy ride into the finals

Can't see how it would be any fairer in your scenario that a team like Samoa doesn't go any further because they draw NZ and Tonga, or Lebanon with Australia and England and have to beat one of those to go through, but on the other hand Italy and Ireland only have to beat an ordinary Wales or USA side to progress, that is far from fair as well

If we go with the top 2 from each group, then the groups must be evenly seeded and fair for everyone

Wales had not won a game in some four years.
Pool games dont carry much weight when that is the csse.

For years the RLWC has been considered a bit of a joke because realistically only Australia, New Zealand and England were ever considered a chance to win it.

Each team played 3 pool games in this years tournament. But the fact that a team (Samoa) can lose two of them and only draw the other, yet they advance while Ireland win 2 of their 3 games, and only just lost their other (PNG) and miss out confirms the joke IMO.

And it'll continue being a joke at least until there are 4 pools of 4 teams and those who advance do so on merit (the top 2 from each pool), not some convoluted BS about which pool they were in or rankings before the tournament began or even about bringing punters through the gate.

I'm not saying Ireland or Italy would have won the tournament (if so it would be an even bigger fluke than Fatty's catch). But the fact is that regardless of which pool they were in, both earned the right to play in the Quarter Finals. Lebanon and especially Samoa, based on the results, did not earn that right.

Last edited:
HoldenV8 unfortunately what you desire for the game is perhaps a decade or two away. The fact is there are three teams of class and then a gap and its been that way for a long time. To me what has happened this World Cup is that a little balance has come into the way the 'World Cup' is structured. Thanks to a few players choosing to play for their native lands, and the encouragement the Island states have finally being given, the gap between the big three and some of the rest is narrowing. I think back at when SOO began and players born in QLD, actually played for QLD. The result an outstanding concept. I can see the way these types of games are developing.

You criticise the structure, but at this stage it looks the best that can be achieved. Samoa may have drawn one game but they had to play New Zealand and Tonga, and were competitive against Tonga who defeated NZ. Ireland played Italy and Wales with their only serious opposition PNG. Would Ireland have beaten Samoa. It would be a close contest so to me its balanced out.

With such a small number of places playing RL, we cant expect Soccer like competition. But I think this has been by far the best RLWC to date and with the rise of the Island states, the game has just gone up another level. Long way to go though.

Wales had not won a game in some four years.
Pool games dont carry much weight when that is the csse.
With that in mind I think the next world Cup should be more stringent in its ability to qualify.
Wales, Scotland or the US should not have made this one because their form hasn't been up to it.
Scotland drew with Samoa but prior to that were terrible.
Two less teams means 12 with 4 groups of 3 and the top team of each goes through to a 4 team final series.
That would seem fairer to me.

I think in recent years the us team has had more Aussie players with us heritage and American Samoans - are the latter playing for Samoa this time?
Yes. He left Joseph Paulo off the team. I like Coach Brian McDermott's focus on US players for sure.

"Having a large group of actual American players is a massive thing for USA rugby league," said McDermott.

"It shows how much the game is developing and that will only help attract sponsors, fans and more people who will want to play.

"The American people want to see Americans playing. We expect to show that we are more than competitive against the world's best rugby league countries."

Australia team to face Samoa:
Billy Slater, Dane Gagai, Will Chambers, Josh Dugan, Valentine Holmes, Michael Morgan, Cooper Cronk, Aaron Woods, Cameron Smith, David Klemmer, Boyd Cordner, Michael Gillett, Josh McGuire. Interchange: Wade Graham, Jordan McLean, Reagan Cambell-Gillard, Tyson Frizell.

Reserves: Felise Kaufusi, Cameron Munster, James Maloney, Ben Hunt

That's good, looks like Turbo will be resting from rest of the tournament- we cannot afford any more post season long term injuries

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10