2017 Team Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Yes I hate when people go oh he has had a serious injury he is crap, look at Buhrer, Tedesco, Jake Trbojevic, Dugan, kahu and many more had bad injuries yet have gone on to have successful careers. I'd take Whare in a heart beat, still very, very fast.
Yes and each time they come back from injuries they are generally tougher mentally, they have that new-found determination to play first grade and to the best of their ability as they know that it can be cut short by injuries.

Whare would be a good signing, especially seeing that he's played for manly before

Daniel Tupou....good at catching bombs, can score a try (mostly from kicks), defensively crap and as others have said gets dominated in tackles and can't be counted on to make good metres early in a tackle count unless he happens to make a break. And I have never seen him make a break and outpace his chasers. After 40 metres he dies in the arse.

Jorge may have rock and diamonds for hands, is crap at taking bombs and for a winger is kinda slow, but I would rather him on our wing than Tupou.

Where in hell do these rumours come from?

Defence was good? **** me, we had >560 points scored against us. I need a delusional emoticon thing again ......

We leaked 99 tries this year (4.125 per game) while only scoring 75 ourselves (3.125 per game). Hell, including penalty kicks we only had 93 attempts on goal all season.

Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks turbo should play in the centres for a few years til he finds his feet in fg. His defense at the back is terrible and many a time this year cost us with bad positional play. A fullback needs to be a general in defense with talk and organising your line. Not sure if he is at that stage in his career yet or confident enough. I believe we should be targeting a fullback along the lines of Lolohea, fusitua, Locke, DWZ, Holmes, Kahu, Matautai. I even believe James Roberts would make a handy fb with speed to burn from kick returns, and would flourish with a license to roam rather being shanked on one side limited with opportunity. Couldn't be any worse defensively than tommy t at the moment.

If all the rumours I've heard are true we would have a very good side! Unfortunately there's this thing called a salary cap and we won't be able to afford them all. Especially with Brett Stewart taking up half our salary cap.

Trbojevic
Tupou
Walker
Matai
Whare
Green
Cherry-Evans
Lussick
Parcell
Matulino
Taupau
Buhrer
Trbojevic

Myles
Matagi
Vaughn
Lane

Stewart
Taufua
Wright
Williame
Wright
Godinet
Cullen
Fonua-Blake
Koroisau
Lawrence
Winterstein
Brown
Hopoate

Meehan

Hoffman to parra for 3 years. Not sure why Manly were not in the mix for his services. I rate hoffman and can play center wing and full back. Im thinking we cannot do much until Matai and Snake are sorted. Thats 1 million in cap space
Not mentally strong IMO and I feel he is a weakness in defence. I don't rate him but would be better than an out of form Uate. We really are banking on him to return to form :grimacing:

If all the rumours I've heard are true we would have a very good side! Unfortunately there's this thing called a salary cap and we won't be able to afford them all. Especially with Brett Stewart taking up half our salary cap.

Trbojevic
Tupou
Walker
Matai
Whare
Green
Cherry-Evans
Lussick
Parcell
Matulino
Taupau
Buhrer
Trbojevic

Myles
Matagi
Vaughn
Lane

Stewart
Taufua
Wright
Williame
Wright
Godinet
Cullen
Fonua-Blake
Koroisau
Lawrence
Winterstein
Brown
Hopoate

Meehan
I think your 6-13 are spot on, but Uate will occupy that wing as Whare may be signed next year to replace Matai and with Stewart and Matai almost certainly gone by then we will be able to afford a few more signings at that time. Matagi according to phantom I believe, is coming but I don't have belief in that whatsoever yet, especially seeing that he threw in the Daniel Tupou rumour which just seems strange.

For the bench I would make some changes, I think Paul Vaughan has sort of drifted away now seeing we may (or may not) be going after Matulino as the bench spot Vaughan would occupy would then be taken by AFB. Matagi, if signed (which as I said, am doubtful of) then he would take a bench spot with Jamil Hoppa and Brenton Lawrence (just took a one year extension option on his contract) playing on the bench.

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Steve Matai
5. Akuila Uate
(Your 6-13)

Bench-
14. Addin Fonua-Blake
15. Matagi (I'd think Willis Meehan)
16. Brenton Lawrence
17. Jamil Hoppa

I would be very happy if we could add Matulino and either Uate or Tupou (better than what we have now and not too expensive)

But really want snake to hang up the boots (medically retired if we can work it or released) and use the money on a new decent center. Would love Whare to come back in 2017. Not worried about the past injury, look at buhrer. We need a quality, tough center who can defend and is a try scorer!

If Matai or walker have a serious injury and are out for a long time, or the season - we are stuffed. we have no one to replace them. Brown or Williame at this stage. fark
Agree. We need some strike power out wide. I think we are almost set in the forwards (another second rower perhaps) but we cannot use Williame next year. No class

Hope we get Daniel Tupou as some suggest he would be a great buy, as would Matagi and Matulino.
Am I missing something with Matagi? His 2016 stats were pretty average. 76m a game which is below par. Matulino ran for 114m which is about what you want. Perhaps I am missing something??!

Am I missing something with Matagi? His 2016 stats were pretty average. 76m a game which is below par. Matulino ran for 114m which is about what you want. Perhaps I am missing something??!
Yes. It's all part of Bozo's plan to recruit jailbirds who he hopes will one day soar like Sea Eagles.

Our forwards defence was good, the backs however were similar to Nate Myles and Lewis Brown... A pure disgrace! Luckily for us that backline consisted of injury backups and the one listed to start in rd 1 next year would fix that. If Matagi (who I highly, highly doubt) and Matulino do indeed sign the forwards will be really intimidating with plenty of second phase play to have Matt Parcell utilise upon.
Really? Just a quick look at the stats.
Our top 4 for averaged missed tackles:

Feleti Mateo 4.3
Pita Godinet 4.0
Api Koroisau 3.9
Darcy Lussick 3.1

This places all four in the top 25 on missed tackles and a good reason why Feleti and Pita didnt play alot.
Api is the highest placed 9.
Darcy the second highest placed Prop behind JWH. Darcy actually misses more than other noted bad defender, Bryce Cartwright.
Our forwards defence was far from good!

Darcy Lussick's problem as a defender is he tries to do too many 'big hits'. When he actually just goes out there and tackles players his defence is quite good. But when he's trying for the hits he often misses a lot of tackles.

Big hits may make the highlight reels but when they don't come off they make extra work for team mates and often lead to points scored against you.

Everyone's still counting out the Snake. Barrett's said, if he's fit, he will play.
And so he should. A fit Snake is a brilliant FB. I just hope in 2016 he was plagued by injury.

My current side with Snake would look like this:

1) Stewart
2) Tafua
3) Matai
4) Walker
5) Turbo
6) Green
7) DCE

8) AFB
9) Parcell
10) Lussick
11) Tapau
12) Buhrer
13) Jake T

14) Myles
15) Lane
16) Lawrence
17) Meehan/Brown/Hoppa/API
Snake is not a better option than Tom at fullback.

Really? Just a quick look at the stats.
Our top 4 for averaged missed tackles:

Feleti Mateo 4.3
Pita Godinet 4.0
Api Koroisau 3.9
Darcy Lussick 3.1

This places all four in the top 25 on missed tackles and a good reason why Feleti and Pita didnt play alot.
Api is the highest placed 9.
Darcy the second highest placed Prop behind JWH. Darcy actually misses more than other noted bad defender, Bryce Cartwright.
Our forwards defence was far from good!
Darcy doesn't really miss tackles, he makes heavy contact and pretty much tackles his opposition but drops off but by then he has done the damage.

Everyone's still counting out the Snake. Barrett's said, if he's fit, he will play.
And so he should. A fit Snake is a brilliant FB. I just hope in 2016 he was plagued by injury.

My current side with Snake would look like this:

1) Stewart
2) Tafua
3) Matai
4) Walker
5) Turbo
6) Green
7) DCE

8) AFB
9) Parcell
10) Lussick
11) Tapau
12) Buhrer
13) Jake T

14) Myles
15) Lane
16) Lawrence
17) Meehan/Brown/Hoppa/API
If we are bound to sign Uate that is a sign that snake won't be fit, it's really sad but it's just what's happened, a fit snake makes any side more dangerous I'd add him into fullback in a heartbeat. It'd be a miracle to have him playing at his best again but in reality the prince of Brookvale is passing the crown to Tom Trbojevic

Darcy doesn't really miss tackles, he makes heavy contact and pretty much tackles his opposition but drops off but by then he has done the damage.
Yeah thats the thing I love about Darcy's big hits when he just stops whoever is in front of him and then gives players like Marty Tapau a chance to add some more whack into the tackle. He leads by example and that'll help anyone new in the team, especially people like Matulino who's lost confidence so he'll be very good for us in the future.

Uate needs a manly nick name, something animal based. We've had a snake, wombat, beaver, turtle, mule, hmmm what can he be?[/QUOTE]

In regards to Tom is better than Snake, well have to agree in 2016, that's not hard - but 'IF' Snake is fit and playing well he has to be fullback with Tom on the wing, it's a better backline than one of those new wing signings or Snake to wing. You have to play to the team you've got, not just who is better in one position

I agree mate. But Snake deserves the chance and respect to play if he's fit. I hope his form this year was injury related. If not, he still deserves a shot at finding out.

If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but he does deserve a shot.

Turbo has his whole career ahead of him. Working with Snake as his apprentice will only help him, especially defensively.

Snake has 1 season left. And I dare say if he isn't performing within the first 8 rounds or so - Turbo will take over.

Why does he deserve a chance, unless we can be sure he is at least somewhere close to his best.

This is not a charity, its a business. You get selected based on present form, or should, not on past deeds. I would love to have Brett back at his best, and I understand him stalling over his decision given the fortune he lost having to defend himself against a disgraceful accusation (the accuser and her father should have been left to pay his bills).

If Brett chooses to play but he's not up to standard, let him play in the lower grade to finish off his contract, if he cant be pensioned off. I have no issue about him receiving his payments for a contract signed in good faith. But that doesnt mean bringing him into first grade unless he merits it.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10