2nd Trial - Manly V Raiders (& other trials)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
So, can we accurately predict this as the team for Round One? (assuming all selected are fit)

1. Turbo
  2. Saab
  3. Parker
  4. Harper
  5. Garrick
  6. Foran
  7. DCE
  8. Paseka
  9. Croker
  10. Marty
  11. Bullemor
  12. Lawton
  13. Jake
  14. Walker
  15. Davey/Burbo
  16. Keppie
  17. Sipley
Virtually the same team from last year. Therefore will again be unable to match Penrith and the other top sides. Harper (particularly) and Parker offer little in attack. The dummy half position remains unsolved - Croker offers nothing. The top teams will shut Turbo down and therefore Manly. I believe Koula should get a shot - at least he will provide a second point of attack other than Turbo. Reckon Weekes at 9 could also be worth a chance.

I thought the game was ok, no angst from me. Manly were cruising a lot of the time. Saw some decent signs and like the Foran/bullemore combo, still needs some developing for timing.

Keppie much better this week. Hope Hamole’s elbow pops back ok, he was very good while he was on. Croker moved better from dummy half in the first half, much better than last year.

Thoughts after the trial:

Koula has to be the first choice replacement for anyone injured 1-5 this season. I just hope Des sticks with him if he earns his spot when given the chance.

Bullemor is the no frills, Corey Waddell type and quality player. Hope he figures out his pkay-the-balls. No chance this kids playing Origin.

Starting the season without Schuster, Aloiai, Olakau'atu will hurt, particularly as we'll be facing two top 4 teams in The Panthers / Roosters, and it's been almost 18 months since we've beaten a top 4 team.

As others have said, our weakness is Hooker. What is this clubs fascination with playing a half at hooker? The best teams have Apisai Koroisou, Damian Cook, Nathan Friend, Brandon Smith and Harry Grant etc etc. Hooker is such an important position, and we potentially have a bottom 1 or 2 in the league.

Kaeo Weekes looks bloody amazing. I hope he snaps up Foz number 6 when he finishes up. Kids got all the confidence and skill you'd want.

Our middle looks much better defensively this year. In two trials we had just a total of 24 scored against us (average of 12). If we can continue to defend like that, we'll be much better off.

For some reason, against the better sides, DCE starts running concentric circles. Play like he did against the Tigers, confident and direct, and we'll be much better off.

We can't carry Lawton and Walker on the bench, we just can't. The quality , big teams will just grind us down, and run over the top of us (which we saw over and over last year).

Very early days of course and we should have a very good season. Have we adequately addressed our weaknesses so we can win the final game of the season? These are some of the keys in my eyes.

1. Dummy half attack/variety? To Be Determined (TBD) but probably not unless Croker has some things up his sleeve. i know he says he has been working on this over the offseason. But lets see Lawton a decent back up but seems better used in the backrow and as a utility. Fainu and Segy wildcards.

2. Lack of Resilience when it really matters? TBD and won't know until we play the elite teams. We need to "get into the grind" against the very best and we will find out early in the season (v Roosters/Penrith) whether we have improved in this area.

3. The Forwards getting on top of the best packs? TBD but going to need Keppie, Paseka and Bullemor to step up/improve. These guys have the most upside in terms of the middle guys. We know what we are going to get out of our other props so we need one or more of these youngsters to take charge.

4. Strike Centres? TBD but getting Koula in there for either Parker or Harper at some stage (assuming Koula's form warrants it) would be great. Harper is still capable of improvement but by now we know what we get out of Parker. Not sure we can win a premiership with both Harper and Parker as our centres.

I think we might have seen that Saab is a bit faster than Koula tonight.

The kid (well, they're both kids, but Koula) was running hard on his 80m try and Saab looked like he was trotting along in support without breaking a sweat. And he actually looked like he gained some ground on him.

Saab also proved he has the legs easily on Xavier Savage who is Canberra's speed king, and we know from last year that he's faster than Hamiso.

Josh Addo-Carr has a higher top speed, but I'd back Saab to beat him (and Xavier Coates) in a 100 metre race. Fox puts all his energy into the acceleration and gets to top pace quicker, but he can't maintain it and gets progressively slower the longer the run. He's quick over 40, but not as quick as people think over the distance (that's how Phillip Sami ran him down. JAC died in the arse). Saab on the other hand is more like a 200 sprinter and has the endurance to maintain his top pace for a lot longer. Fox would be quicker over 40, OK at 60, but then it would be all over. Saab would burn him.
Watching both koula and Saab on those run away trys there running style were less a footy run away and more athletic 100m sprint. Heads up tall posture pure pace. And yeah watching Saab it is pretty clear nobody in the comp will run him down. Savage is no slouch and although coming from an angle to Saab didn’t get near him. How funny is it watching the chasers immediately stop chasing after after they see he has a metre or two head start.

Maybe only trials but some pretty intensive footy in Manly "s two trial games at least . Bit disjointed 2 nd half for Manly for a range of factors but players still mainly putting in which should be a positive . Pity that Davey is still unavailable , expect Bulemor to be in the starting backrow and then Lawton on present indications but who still may be needed on the bench to cover for Froggy . Only other back row option could be Boyle , Keppie . Sipley definitely looks much more match fit and strong go forward , Keppie better , Foz a good effort . koula looks good and can handle the step up in standard Who did that big hit on C W H , was it Weekes ? Damm shame to be without Oloka and Schuster going into the Panthers game , still should be able to field a competitive side and will have to be to match them

Thoughts after the trial:

Koula has to be the first choice replacement for anyone injured 1-5 this season. I just hope Des sticks with him if he earns his spot when given the chance.

Bullemor is the no frills, Corey Waddell type and quality player. Hope he figures out his pkay-the-balls. No chance this kids playing Origin.

Starting the season without Schuster, Aloiai, Olakau'atu will hurt, particularly as we'll be facing two top 4 teams in The Panthers / Roosters, and it's been almost 18 months since we've beaten a top 4 team.

As others have said, our weakness is Hooker. What is this clubs fascination with playing a half at hooker? The best teams have Apisai Koroisou, Damian Cook, Nathan Friend, Brandon Smith and Harry Grant etc etc. Hooker is such an important position, and we potentially have a bottom 1 or 2 in the league.

Kaeo Weekes looks bloody amazing. I hope he snaps up Foz number 6 when he finishes up. Kids got all the confidence and skill you'd want.

Our middle looks much better defensively this year. In two trials we had just a total of 24 scored against us (average of 12). If we can continue to defend like that, we'll be much better off.

For some reason, against the better sides, DCE starts running concentric circles. Play like he did against the Tigers, confident and direct, and we'll be much better off.

We can't carry Lawton and Walker on the bench, we just can't. The quality , big teams will just grind us down, and run over the top of us (which we saw over and over last year).
Way too early to rule bullemor out of playing origin and especially comparing him to that plodder Corey Waddell! I thought he played well and only had that one play the ball error. Give him some time to develop his combination with Foran and he will be a gun for us this year.

Very early days of course and we should have a very good season. Have we adequately addressed our weaknesses so we can win the final game of the season? These are some of the keys in my eyes.

1. Dummy half attack/variety? To Be Determined (TBD) but probably not unless Croker has some things up his sleeve. i know he says he has been working on this over the offseason. But lets see Lawton a decent back up but seems better used in the backrow and as a utility. Fainu and Segy wildcards.

2. Lack of Resilience when it really matters? TBD and won't know until we play the elite teams. We need to "get into the grind" against the very best and we will find out early in the season (v Roosters/Penrith) whether we have improved in this area.

3. The Forwards getting on top of the best packs? TBD but going to need Keppie, Paseka and Bullemor to step up/improve. These guys have the most upside in terms of the middle guys. We know what we are going to get out of our other props so we need one or more of these youngsters to take charge.

4. Strike Centres? TBD but getting Koula in there for either Parker or Harper at some stage (assuming Koula's form warrants it) would be great. Harper is still capable of improvement but by now we know what we get out of Parker. Not sure we can win a premiership with both Harper and Parker as our centres.
I thought there were good signs in the first 30 min from croker, he ran a few steps engaging the defence and looked much better.

But in the second half there was an incident where he passes to Foran close to the line and Foran got smashed. If croker had been paying attention to the defence he would have seen how quickly the raiders defender was committing, and there was a clear gap for him to dart through the gap from dummy half. A good hooker would have taken this opportunity.

Maybe only trials but some pretty intensive footy in Manly "s two trial games at least . Bit disjointed 2 nd half for Manly for a range of factors but players still mainly putting in which should be a positive . Pity that Davey is still unavailable , expect Bulemor to be in the starting backrow and then Lawton on present indications but who still may be needed on the bench to cover for Froggy . Only other back row option could be Boyle , Keppie . Sipley definitely looks much more match fit and strong go forward , Keppie better , Foz a good effort . koula looks good and can handle the step up in standard Who did that big hit on C W H , was it Weekes ? Damm shame to be without Oloka and Schuster going into the Panthers game , still should be able to field a competitive side and will have to be to match them
My thoughts as well MA, Keepie and Bully into the 2nd row, bench, De'luis, Sipley, Walker and Lawton. If our front row fires up and up for the challenge, who knows, we could give this game a real shake.

I dispute the oft-claims that we need an attacking centre. Our backline is the best in the business for attack, even with Parker who brings much welcomed defensive strength to our speedsters.
No. Our backs are not our problem; it is our pack which hasn't had the mettle to match it with the top teams, and doesn't appear to be any stronger based on the two trial matches.
Our best prop has been Sippers, yet he may not even be picked in the 17. Jake is great as is Guacca, who will be out injured for some time. Without The Shoe we will have a weaker pack than in 2021, at least for the opening four rounds of the season. Bully has not done anything wrong but looks to me to need to be put into gaps to be effective. Keppie has not improved, unfortunately, nor Tent who should be able to impose his massive frame more than he does. Once Walker is thrown into the match our forward defence weakens.
It's a pity we didn't see more of our young forwards in the trials. If we are to be a true force we need more intimidation in our forwards.

Match highlights

I missed the game, so caught these highlights. Just loved how when Saab made the intercept and took off, straight away the commentator yells out "Savage"... as if we were going to see some spectacular contest. Saab killed that off pretty quickly and the commentator went quiet on it. lol

More hooker commentary. Starling decent running game, but he threw hospital passes to his forwards, looping and slow, setting it up for our blokes for some nice hits.

Big hit on chn was roumanos. He looked pretty capable actually.

Way too early to rule bullemor out of playing origin and especially comparing him to that plodder Corey Waddell! I thought he played well and only had that one play the ball error. Give him some time to develop his combination with Foran and he will be a gun for us this year.
in some shots bullemore looks a lot like a former 360 host that went back to the broncos

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10