Active Supporter Group

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

smirny

Who is interested in forming an active supporter group starting next year? We will try to replicate the atmosphere in the A-league and European football. Chanting for the full 80 minutes to help the boys get over the line and give them an advantage no other team will get! It will be good fun and can take the piss out of other teams.

People who don't agree with this idea and say that chanting is only a football thing because the sport is boring, please refrain from commenting as it will serve no purpose.

Would be nice to achieve this... But It's been tried many times before and for some reason, it simply doesn't work.

Would be nice to achieve this... But It's been tried many times before and for some reason, it simply doesn't work.
I would be keen to work on to try and revive it for next season. We would work on proper chants that's not just "Maaaaanly"

I went to an Ajax game late last year for the champions league, at the Amsterdam ArenA let me tell you the atmosphere they create is amazing, and far exceeds the excitement of the game :)

It would be awesome if this could be achieved but I just can't see how you could get it working with NRL fans. It just never seems to work.

The usual scenario is
Scrum is about to pack, chants start up, ball is released from the scrum, chanting stops.

League fans are usually to into the game and forget they are meant to be chanting, because there is far more on the field to be interested in.

Good luck smirmy. I reckon chanting in bursts would be better than for a full 80 minutes. You'd lose your voice and it would be hard to focus on the game.

Good luck smirmy. I reckon chanting in bursts would be better than for a full 80 minutes. You'd lose your voice and it would be hard to focus on the game.
I'm able to do it for a full 90 minutes plus extra time for Western Sydney Wanderers games, 80 minutes should be alright. But anything that brings more noise to the games will be great.

I went to an Ajax game late last year for the champions league, at the Amsterdam ArenA let me tell you the atmosphere they create is amazing, and far exceeds the excitement of the game :)

It would be awesome if this could be achieved but I just can't see how you could get it working with NRL fans. It just never seems to work.

The usual scenario is
Scrum is about to pack, chants start up, ball is released from the scrum, chanting stops.

League fans are usually to into the game and forget they are meant to be chanting, because there is far more on the field to be interested in.
However if we do this we can change the social norm and NRL fans become more adjusted to it and follow along. I've got 100% faith that we can achieve it for Manly games at least.

However if we do this we can change the social norm and NRL fans become more adjusted to it and follow along. I've got 100% faith that we can achieve it for Manly games at least.
Ive spent many an afternoon and evening at Brookvale. I love your enthusiasm, but I just don't see it happening.

I wish you luck and feel free to use this site to try and gather fans together and generate what you can, I am happy to help you try.

In the 70s and 80s there was a large supporters club that followed the club home and away, they used to sit in the Jane Try stand and the the Fulton Menzies stand before the club kicked them out in 1990 and made the Fulton Menzies stand available for ticket payers only. In the day the cheer squad was amongst the biggest in the game and made lots of noise in supporting the team, when I first started going to games it was great to be part of that. My memories of following the team all over Sydney and the finals series games at the SCG and sitting in the Sheridan stand were amazing times for those of us lucky to be there.

Where were you when others tried it?
It's been done and doesn't work. Rugby League changes too quickly. You start a song to react to one thing and by the time you're finished three other things have happened. It's pretty hard to put pressure on the refs for offside etc if you're still singing about a player that did something in the previous set.

Take a look on this site smirmy. The songs are all there if you want them. You don't need to come up with anything.

And BTW, mentioning the Parra Stadium Wandertards around here tends to p1ss people off.

I'm able to do it for a full 90 minutes plus extra time for Western Sydney Wanderers games, 80 minutes should be alright. But anything that brings more noise to the games will be great.
Great lungs smirmy. I know I'd be chanting away then as soon as the boys made a break I'd be jumping up and down yelling for them.
A refs error would stop me mid-chant and cause to me voice my disapproval.
A try - screaming like a maniac in celebration.
I think the rollercoaster emotions of the game would make consistent chanting hard to maintain for many.
But I think it's a great idea to get something like this going. Even if it's a small crew in the beginning it could catch on and again I wish you luck.

Where were you when others tried it?
It's been done and doesn't work. Rugby League changes too quickly. You start a song to react to one thing and by the time you're finished three other things have happened. It's pretty hard to put pressure on the refs for offside etc if you're still singing about a player that did something in the previous set.

Take a look on this site smirmy. The songs are all there if you want them. You don't need to come up with anything.

And BTW, mentioning the Parra Stadium Wandertards around here tends to p1ss people off.
Uh I was in school so I wasn't able to come to many games...

I don't want to stop your enthusiasm but agree a 90 minute chant in league is hard to maintain like soccer or cricket due to all the reasons posted previously

None more than it can change so quickly and you need to cheer or boo instead

However , like Sheridan stand said,there are times when the right noise at the right time can really lift the players especially load and long

It is normally when we need to tackle strongly or have a real attacking opportunity

I may be boring but I don't mind a good hearted dozen or so manly manly manly chants when it's needed most

As for the wanders - ditch the comparisons

My kids are capable of talking to me for the full 80 minutes. It's infuriating.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
I don't want to stop your enthusiasm but agree a 90 minute chant in league is hard to maintain like soccer or cricket due to all the reasons posted previously

None more than it can change so quickly and you need to cheer or boo instead

However , like Sheridan stand said,there are times when the right noise at the right time can really lift the players especially load and long

It is normally when we need to tackle strongly or have a real attacking opportunity

I may be boring but I don't mind a good hearted dozen or so manly manly manly chants when it's needed most

As for the wanders - ditch the comparisons
Ok i get that you guys don't like the wanderers, I'm not comparing us to them. I just mentioned it as proof that it could be done. Didn't mean to stir something up by saying their name.

I am sorry but you can not say that league moves quicker than football? Where the ball can literally go from one end to another in a second or two?

It is a cultural issue and not something that people associate with the game. I go to the other (real) Sydney football team where the cove has been around the same size since the start 10 years ago - a core of dedicated fans who remain fairly consistent

Good luck getting it started, I would suggest the best way would be to get involved with the club as your contact point to start

Not a fan of chants either. Particularly those awkward moments as they die their slow, inevitable death. It's like the people chanting have just lost their passion for their team.

Good luck Smirny. It just doesn't work for long periods in our game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4