Amateur players blog

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So it's the off season again and I'm having an extended pre season, I'm ****ing hyped for next season

Every 2 weeks I'm hitting up the local bowling machine trying to get used to a bat i bought as a spare but is likely to just be my go to weapon in an XP80 2000, although I'm only doing one more session with it before using my practice bat for it's own safety, I'm trying to bat but i can't play off my legs for some reason

I'll be having a 3 week hiatus then doing a bowling session a fortnight as well

I've had a less than successful retirement return and i think I'll be trying to get my pace to a place it's never been with the late season control i gained in the dying stages of the session

Currently trying to pick between a couple lifestyle regiments, if anyone has some tips for how to get genuine pace or bat properly I'm all ears

As for advice i can give as a bowler I'm going to say something I've noticed my club's next generation of bowlers lack, variation and feeling out the batsman for weaknesses to exploit, not the obvious stuff like bouncer to a slower yorker, the best weapon I've found is unpredictability

I've been trying to learn how to bat properly for years without luck. If you live in a metro area then my only suggestion is to pay for a private lesson with a coach - money well spent. They can generally pick up flaws in technique a bit easier than the 3rd drop of the local park team.

In my limited experience struggling to play off your legs maybe because you are getting your head outside the line and then falling away to the off side - very common technique flaw.

Finally back in the nets and my off season fitness kick has let me find an extra few km, still a lot of fine tuning to do with the ball like getting it to swing (4 piece when I've primarily bowled with 2 piece) and timing my wrist, back and arm together to let the ball really roar as it did ten years ago

I'm working on speed first then I'll hone in the radar

Batting is still a ****fest as some random fat **** started the bouncer war early and i carted him, what followed was heavy sledging of **** aggressive bowling, as i went on a path of utter destruction of so call pacemen, still can't play off the legs and struggling to move across my stumps to cart **** outside off, any tips would be appreciated, the white ball is an absolute godsend

Anyone else feel free to rant during the pre season hitouts or the season proper

2 more weeks of training which is like 2 more weeks of war

Some scintillating shots and balls to go with some utter ****, rocket the ball straight back down the line but attempt some goofy high drive slogs from short ****

Break a toe of one batsman and bowl leg side wides to the next, chase a batsman with the ball near missing his grill as he pulls away with **** nearly dribbling down the back of his leg to overpitch a short of a length ball to be a half volley and be slammed for a certain six

**** this game, i want more

The next generation starts at my joint tomorrow - my son starts his first season (he wants to be a leg spinner...god help us)

The next generation starts at my joint tomorrow - my son starts his first season (he wants to be a leg spinner...god help us)
I honestly think if he starts doing leggies and never gives up, puts in the hours upon hours off work it takes to learn the craft he'll love it

Leg spin imo is the most difficult discipline of bowling and starting young enough it could take you anywhere, it's a **** ton of work though

Pace is a genetics based discipline and i reckon the second easiest of the 3, you can't teach 160km fireballs, your born with half and hard work gets you the last 35kmh

Off spin lol anyone can chuck a meaty pie, it's mostly about outfoxing the batsman

He lands about one in every 3 at the moment which is a fair effort - I am keen to encourage him being a lapsed left arm chinaman

He lands about one in every 3 at the moment which is a fair effort - I am keen to encourage him being a lapsed left arm chinaman
One in three is pretty good as a starting point, I'm lucky to land one in 25 lol

The hand position on release is gimpy

One in three is pretty good as a starting point, I'm lucky to land one in 25 lol

The hand position on release is gimpy
Shame he tried really hard today but ended up trying to bowl fast like all the other kids...when he slowed it down it was okay

Shame he tried really hard today but ended up trying to bowl fast like all the other kids...when he slowed it down it was okay
I'd advise him that leg spin takes a lot of practice but is well worth the effort IMO, the only way to get good is practice, live and breathe it

Agree - plus it is better than trying to bowl fast!
Bowling fast is a different animal, you at times try to hurt people, it's a game of throwing yourself full throttle into it and trying to shock and awe the prick with the bat, if that doesn't work look for a weakness, sometimes though if none of that is on its line and length giving nothing away

Ah the dark art of wrist spin. I can't do it myself, can't get the wrist position consistent enough - length is all over the shop.

Got to love "fast" bowlers - they're all bluff and bluster. As I get older and the reflexes slow, the threshold for the pace that exceeds reaction time has come down significantly - 100+ clicks is like facing Binga for me these days. Thankfully not many real quick guys playing park cricket.

How's the quest to get a bit of sideways movement going Cherry ? It's amazing the difference between a 2 piece and a 4 piece in terms of swing - you wouldn't think the physics of the ball would be that different but it's crazy how much harder it is. Makes you appreciate the skills of the test bowlers.

First game of the season for me this weekend - going in cold with no net so could be a less than fruitful day. If I get bat on ball it'll be a result.

Have had 4 approaches this week trying to pull me out of retirement, cricket season must be approaching fast !!

Will fill in a couple of games here and there id say, 1 of them has gone as far as making up a uniform for me so I'll "be comfortable if/when" I play lol

Have had 4 approaches this week trying to pull me out of retirement, cricket season must be approaching fast !!

Will fill in a couple of games here and there id say, 1 of them has gone as far as making up a uniform for me so I'll "be comfortable if/when" I play lol

When I was at the Botanical gardens in Christchurch there was this small lake (edit: Victoria Lake) where a bunch of old guys were racing model yachts. I looked for you in case that was how you were spending your retirement!

Last edited:
When I was at the Botanical gardens in Christchurch there was this small lake where a bunch of old guys were racing model yachts. I looked for you in case that was how you were spending your retirement!

Haha my home ground is about a 10min walk from there

Ah the dark art of wrist spin. I can't do it myself, can't get the wrist position consistent enough - length is all over the shop.

Got to love "fast" bowlers - they're all bluff and bluster. As I get older and the reflexes slow, the threshold for the pace that exceeds reaction time has come down significantly - 100+ clicks is like facing Binga for me these days. Thankfully not many real quick guys playing park cricket.

How's the quest to get a bit of sideways movement going Cherry ? It's amazing the difference between a 2 piece and a 4 piece in terms of swing - you wouldn't think the physics of the ball would be that different but it's crazy how much harder it is. Makes you appreciate the skills of the test bowlers.

First game of the season for me this weekend - going in cold with no net so could be a less than fruitful day. If I get bat on ball it'll be a result.
I'm having odd reactions, a poofteenth of outswing then cutting in off the seam, wish i knew how lol, it's getting better with the white ball to be honest, who'd think a different dye could help a bowler

However the white ball me is Ricky Ponting when compared to the red ball me with the bat

Hope you had a top game

And yes fast bowlers are ****ing assholes

Bowled Ok, but batting wasn't great. Managed a solid 2 opening the innings. Always good to get your side off to a flier @;) Pitch was a bit inconsistent in bounce so I'm blaming that.

Jog into a run
Lean backwards
Eye target area
Leap
Bend back

Hmmm on target a little slow though

**** I've forgotten 2

Thrust left arm downward
Snap wrist

**** it's wide and high

Next week i have to get these in

Members online