Annesley's weakly excuses presser - 2023 edition!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
He mentioned the DeBelin hip drop but said he couldn't cover it as it's before the judiciary.
I thought he was stiff to be charged with a hip drop and it was straight out nit-picking by the bunker, how the MRC rates it worse than the Sharks wishbone tackle on Paseka is beyond me.

He spent 13 minutes on the Russell no try, played the full audio, some of which doesn't go to air and explained it pretty well (for him)! I could've explained it in less than 5.
He's the master of spin but if the bunker overruled the onfield decision of no try with the lack of evidence they had, then we'd be blowing up big time.
On DeBellend, if it weren't for loading from his 5 previous offences in the last 12 months it would've only been a one week suspension. Same as the Paseka tackle.

IN this weeks (weaks) report, Annesley admits to at least three massive ref blunders with the usual accountability.

Nothing new here. I've been complaining about The Bunker for 10 years on Silvertails and I keep coming back to one simple questions:
Has The Bunker improved rugby league?
I know what my answer is.

Tired of Annesley's excuses and rhetoric. Why does the referee have to make a call on a try without referring it? When even if he awards a try the bunker can overturn that ruling before the conversion. The Gutho strip on Liddle was so obvious. These geniuses now try to determine if the strip was intentional or not. Common on! If the hands of the tackler are on the ball it is a strip. They overcomplicate things unnecessarily and the result is messing up the decisions! Frankly the referee should not have missed that nor the linesman.

The funny thing about the Canberra try is they could have disallowed it pretty much on a technicality.
Surely they could've have ruled Wighton's "pass" as a knock on, yeah?
He didn't actually catch the ball,wasn't trying to catch the ball, he just batted in on.
They rule on the slightest of knock-ons so why is that play ruled as a pass when a player batting a ball from a bomb etc can be ruled on?
Neither are examples of the player trying to catch the ball.

I know, l know, the answer's a pineapple.

IMO our refereeing is at an all time low! Inconsistent and unreliable. The interpretation of the rules is something that should be decided by the NRL and not the referees themselves. IMO the NRL are a useless money pit.

Anusley is a failure at all things he has done in the last 10 years, yet keeps getting key jobs for the boys

I'm sure the introduction of technology has adversely impacted what we perceive as refereeing mistakes. Prior to CSI footage the ref ruled on what he/she saw and apart from the occasional howler we fans grudgingly accepted it. Now the refs have protocols to follow: did the attacker receive the ball on the inside/outside shoulder of the defender ... did the ball brush a defender before being regathered... etc. Such protocols mean that tries we had been happy to approve in the past are now being disallowed due to technicalities.
By trying to make decisions more accurate the NRL has created a monster with no feel for the game. The ref is given no room for common sense these days, and it's why the officiating is in a shambles.

I'm sure the introduction of technology has adversely impacted what we perceive as refereeing mistakes. Prior to CSI footage the ref ruled on what he/she saw and apart from the occasional howler we fans grudgingly accepted it. Now the refs have protocols to follow: did the attacker receive the ball on the inside/outside shoulder of the defender ... did the ball brush a defender before being regathered... etc. Such protocols mean that tries we had been happy to approve in the past are now being disallowed due to technicalities.
By trying to make decisions more accurate the NRL has created a monster with no feel for the game. The ref is given no room for common sense these days, and it's why the officiating is in a shambles.

I agree with you.

And the bunker seems to have taken the ref's ability to use common sense. But also, there's non stop think tanks by coaches and players (it seems) to find absolutely any tiny loophole possible (illegal tackles, diving, etc).

I'm not sure I'll explain this well, so I'll use the example of:

Remember a few years ago there was some 'crackdown' - even though Annesley says the nrl doesn't have crackdowns - on players running back through the oppositions line and getting in the way of the ball.

So then a couple of halfbacks started throwing the ball straight down into a player lying on the ground and claiming to the ref that needs to be a penalty.

Now instead of the refs using one brain cell, blowing a knock on (or even play on)..... they blew the whistle for a penalty. Again, this was a defending player, lying on the ground, away from the ruck, and the dummy half literally threw the ball straight down to claim the player had gotten in the way.

Sometimes it feels like a catch-22 situation.

If refs are going to be total dribblers too afraid to rule the 'game' and not the freeze frames, then we need the bunker, which in turns makes stupid decisions like "that wasn't a strip, it was a loose carry" in reference to St G and parra the other night.

Yes, it's the microscopic knock-ons and finding things in back play that drive us nuts.
If the ref's miss stuff, then they miss stuff and we all move on but with the bunker coming in on some things and not others is the problem in my opinion.

One example on the weekend - Saab and Tupou went up contesting for a bomb, Tupou got there first and tried to bat it dead.
The ref called a drop out but the bunker looked at it and as it brushed Saab's hand last they overturned and ruled a 20m tap restart despite him not really playing at it.
Technically it's marginally the right call but Tupou was the one who made the play to knock it dead, so that's where the onus should be - just because it slightly brushed Saab's hand shouldn't overrule that in my opinion.

As you say these are the things that are causing us the angst, the protocols and slowing down to frame by frame are taking away the feel of the refs.

And then you also get the bunker being the only one in the world to see something that no one else does.

Last edited:
So Annesley admitted the touchie missed the knock on from Martin, the bunker couldn't go back to check it as there was a play the ball before the try was scored and they can only go back as far as the last play the ball, as for Martin being tackled before he passed off the ground, he said that was a 50/50 call whether he was tackled or not, and the Cleary one was ok as he just got his boot to the ball before it hit the ground. So all okay because at normal speed anyone can make a mistake.

I just watched his waffle but had to turn it off.

Dreadful viewing.

Last edited:
Accepted that the whole Vaega, Martin, Clearly $hitshow was an error.

• Martin knocked on (but don't blame the refs, it was a difficult decision)
  • Martin may have passed off the ground, hard to say, decision could have gone either way
  • Cleary didn't knock on (confirmed with footage)

The fact that he has to come out each week and justify the weekends issues only proves how broken the system is.
If the bunker was doing a good job, we would not be talking about it at all. Instead its usually the common thread across all games.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8