Aussies in south Africa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So Watson back in for Marsh and because of that extra bowling option they have gone for a bit more penetration with Siddle making way for Pattison. Pattinson is quicker than Siddle but can't bowl the big spells, but with an extra bowler in Watson he can be managed with shorter spells.

I don't know where that leaves Marsh, looks like Doolan is preferred to him moving forward.

Warner is letting his bat do the talking in this first dig. Pitch looks good, Clarke needs a score, so no excuses today.

Gee Clarke is getting a right royal working over. If he comes through this and gets a score it'll be an innings of great courage.

Sitting on 90 not out just needs to be on tomorrow to make yet another century.

Warner finally scoring a hundred in the first innings ( only his second i think) and setting us up.

Smith chipping in later in the day too continuing his form since his call up back into the side (average of about 60 in that time)

With Steyn injured SA's bowling is half of what it normally is, a bit like when we lost McGrath in the ashes of 2005. Cannot see them taking 20 wickets without him.

Yep we have been lucky to get the saffies with Steyn below par. Injured first test and did not much. Fit second test and destroyed us, now injured again. Should go our way from here. We should be looking at 500 plus now with this start.

Pitch looks good though so the challenge will be bowling them out twice. Maybe Lyon will be difference on last day

I wouldn't say he destroyed us in the second, 5 wickets is good but only 1 good spell the other bowlers helped out. I think it had more to do with the doctored pitch reducing Johnsons effect and a huge collapse in the second, 9 batsman scored 22 runs. Had they averaged just 20 each then SA scrape home by less than 100

Chip and Chase said:
Gee Clarke is getting a right royal working over. If he comes through this and gets a score it'll be an innings of great courage.

Which he did. Got a ripper right on his thumb from morkel in about the second last over.

I think i read that the ave first day's score at s.africa's most favoured ground is 7-220

So 3 - 300 odd is pretty good.

Gotta admit, I haven't watched a lot of cricket in recent years, but I haven't seen carnage like Johnson's been producing for, well I can't even recall, and now Morkel is doing the same to us. That burst at Clarke was amazing, he just couldn't avoid being hit. Repeatedly. The NRL would have made him come off for concussion tests.

Tough bastard is still there at lunch

Smith unlucky not to get another hundred trying to up the scoring rate.

draw is looking more and more likely now

betting Clarke will declare overnight with all the rain around to give Aus the chance to bowl them out twice.

There is still time. Only lost half a day. He is bound to declare you would think.

Pitch might have a bit of moisture in it from rain too. Could be a good first little session.

Let's see if pattinson justifies his selection.

Can Watson get through an innings without breaking down.

Good start, 3 down for 100.

Smith struggling this series, won't be long before they start questioning his future, especially if they lose this test.

Chip and Chase said:
Good start, 3 down for 100.

Smith struggling this series, won't be long before they start questioning his future, especially if they lose this test.

You're a genius C&C.
Smith goneskis.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8808833

He beat them to it.

He has looked very ordinary this series so maybe he realises he just doesn't have it anymore.

Patto and watson also answered your questions.

But Harris and Johnson bowled very well.

Agree with batting again, get runs and make SA chase 400+ on a dieing pitch

All the Aussies bowled well, certainly got the ball to move around a lot more than the Jarpies.

Should be able to rack up a quick 200 + with 10 wickets in hand and get them back in during last session.

I hope Australia are not shooting themselves in the foot with these GO slow tactics. If it were me, I'd be cranking on the runs til 500 & give us maximum time to bowl them out, not GO slow to dangle a carrot. Doesn't make sense to me. Hope it doesn't bite us in the arse.

Clarke went on for longer than I expected, hopefully it doesn't leave us short of time.

4 dead. 6 to get. No guarantees, but looking good.
Go boys - bring it home.
Did I read somewhere that if we win this test we'll be number 1?

No, you read if we win this test we go to number 2, if we lose then 3.

Agree C&C i thought 450 would be the mark (runs/time)

still one would think 6 wickets on a last day pitch is easily achievable

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8