Back in the limelight again?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hamster,

Scott Penn is presumably old enough to have eaten Nigger Boy licorice as a kid. With a trademarked 'nigger' in black and white on the packaging. Entrenched racism like that was recognised many, many decades ago - before Manly had even won a premiership - and the name and packaging changed.

Slavery laws change well before slavery attitudes do.

Rex said:
Hamster,

Scott Penn is presumably old enough to have eaten Nigger Boy licorice as a kid. With a trademarked 'nigger' in black and white on the packaging. Entrenched racism like that was recognised many, many decades ago - before Manly had even won a premiership - and the name and packaging changed.

Scott has probably heard Rick use the term 'boy' plenty of times in business, when speaking to a younger man. Despite the more historical depth to the term 'boy' in the US, we in Australia don't put it anywhere near the 'nigger' word for impact and negativity.

As I pointed out, Gus uses it regularly during telecasts but to date nothing has been made of it by social commentators, despite the constant rolling out of Bert Newtown's faux pas back in the late-70's when addressing Ali in a non-offensive (to us) way as 'boy'.

Hamster Huey said:
Rex said:
Hamster,

Scott has probably heard Rick use the term 'boy' plenty of times in business, when speaking to a younger man. Despite the more historical depth to the term 'boy' in the US, we in Australia don't put it anywhere near the 'nigger' word for impact and negativity.

As I pointed out, Gus uses it regularly during telecasts but to date nothing has been made of it by social commentators, despite the constant rolling out of Bert Newtown's faux pas back in the late-70's when addressing Ali in a non-offensive (to us) way as 'boy'.

Williams was on 2ue with Gibbs last night and said Rick was talking down to him at the time and in contex said "I have delt with your people all my life and have done a lot for your people". Does that sound like he was refering to him in a son like manner. Williams is the victim. He must be supported for his stance against racisim.
Newton way back then was not talking down to Ali and Ali did not like it anyway. No way is it the same thing.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
You mention context and it's important to understand that this works both ways. Rick could easily have been using the term 'boy' in the general sense of talking down, seperate to the comments about working with 'people' like Darrell, but that's not how Williams sees it.

The quotes since do little but muddy the situation in which only those present can for sure say what the context was, and we've got two distinct sides appearing and a lot of silence from the rest.

At this time, 'truth' is the victim as it plays out publically. Unresolved in the minds of anybody involved, it becomes a divisive topic based on 'feelings' and 'context'.

I'm fence-sitting here as I don't see a definitive element here to call 'racism' or not. Somebody took offence at a comment but another didn't see it directed in that manner and thus didn't need to respond as expected.

I have sat on a few boards in my years, and have seen and heard comments being made that were derogatory to another board members. On each occasion the Chairman (whose role it is to ensure debate is fair/ reasonable and with a certain amount of etiquette) has pulled the person up and requested an apology. I don't know either side of this but rest assured if something was said, and an apology made at the time it would not come to this.

But yes I agree @WESTIE this should be in the general forum, rehashing it when none of us really know isn;t adding much to the argument.

• 👍
Due to recent popular demand, this thread is now moving homes :)

Williams still dirty

Darrell Williams has slammed suggestions he received an apology from fellow Manly director Rick Penn before going public with his racial vilification complaint to the NRL. As revealed in these pages last weekend, Williams wrote to ARLC boss Dave Smith after Penn used the racially derogatory term ''boy'' in a recent board meeting. Penn has subsequently claimed that he ''unreservedly apologised'' and that the board voted to drop the matter from the minutes of the board meeting.

However, Williams is adamant that no such thing ever occurred. ''I dispute that the matter was dead and buried,'' Williams said. ''To say I received an unreserved apology, that's an out and out lie. There was no vote taken on this, certainly I was not part of any vote to dismiss the allegations that I took offence. It's simply not true.'' Some directors feel that Penn's behaviour is becoming increasingly erratic. Prior to the board meeting in question, it's been alleged he told senior officials he would ''blow the place up'', with the comment noted in the minutes. Former New Zealand forward Williams is taking more than 80 Sea Eagles fans across the Tasman for Sunday's clash with the Warriors as part of the official Manly Warringah Touring Supporters Group. To give the travellers a different cultural experience, Williams - who is advising the NRL on Polynesian welfare issues - is treating them to a hangi and teaching them to do the haka.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/gallen-and-myles-to-bash-out-origin-differences-in-the-ring-20130608-2nwrg.html#ixzz2Vg8KaFdF

• 👍

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4