Back in the limelight again?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Moondog said:
bones said:
Moondog said:
Ali and Beiber both in their prime. There's a fight I'd like to see....

Mate, we've just had women in league week. Have you learnt nothing?
How about Laila Ali? I reckon Beiber would still cop a hiding...

No shame in that. Pretty sure she'd kick my arse too. (and probably 95% of other posters on here too.) ;-)

Clint said:
Moondog said:
bones said:
Moondog said:
Ali and Beiber both in their prime. There's a fight I'd like to see....

Mate, we've just had women in league week. Have you learnt nothing?
How about Laila Ali? I reckon Beiber would still cop a hiding...

No shame in that. Pretty sure she'd kick my arse too. (and probably 95% of other posters on here too.) ;-)
Alright, I guess that's still not fair. How about Kirstie Alley then?

swoop said:
That's the whole point. Everyone is making assumptions. I don't know what happened either. None of us know the facts so blaming one or the another is pointless.

Exactly and that's why I said in the opening sentence of my original post that I could see wrong from both sides. Like you said, none of us know the facts. We only know what went on from what we read in the paper and even then, it is only one side of the story.

This situation again highlights how **** house the original constitution is that the club has in place. I understand it was always intended to protect the history and to guide the future but it has not enough flexability to move forward and compete on even grounds with the game.It will kill Manly unless there is a realistic compromise reached

Its no longer acceptable to be happy to only lose a few hundred grand or make a few bucks. To have a long term future the club needs to start making money and stacks of it to control its destiny

It will white ant the club as long as the people who pay the cash dont get an appropriate say. I know the penns signed up for this and are under no illusion but apart from being the financial benefactors they are Fans and it must frustrate them no end watching the constitution strangle growth . Anyone can see that this is just not cricket

I think its time that the club undertook and independent financial model based on 2 scenarios
1 the next 5 years projections based on the current agreement
2 an all bets off agreement which allowed the club to persue and monetary agreement

The penns need to be up front and outline the model they wish to use to advance the club to everyone

The constitution and the fallout from this and the ensuing power struggle is tarnishing the club and many good Manly people that have given there time and efforts over many years

While zorba has been no angel he did not deserve the fallout over fridgegate after so many years of service and locking bob reilly out of the club is just devious and defies belief. Lets not forget the Ceo appointment

there was no way it was ever intended to cause such harm and to chip away at the soul of the club. Its time for everyone to grow up and do whats best for the club and its future whatever that may be

Without getting into the sides of this particular part of the race debate because its doing my head in. BUT, why are people making the claim that Williams leaked this to the media? He may very well have, but we know he brought it to the intention of the NRL, so how do we know it wasn't leaked from someone there?

jbb/james said:
This situation again highlights how s**t house the original constitution is that the club has in place. I understand it was always intended to protect the history and to guide the future but it has not enough flexability to move forward and compete on even grounds with the game.It will kill Manly unless there is a realistic compromise reached

Its no longer acceptable to be happy to only lose a few hundred grand or make a few bucks. To have a long term future the club needs to start making money and stacks of it to control its destiny

It will white ant the club as long as the people who pay the cash dont get an appropriate say. I know the penns signed up for this and are under no illusion but apart from being the financial benefactors they are Fans and it must frustrate them no end watching the constitution strangle growth . Anyone can see that this is just not cricket

I think its time that the club undertook and independent financial model based on 2 scenarios
1 the next 5 years projections based on the current agreement
2 an all bets off agreement which allowed the club to persue and monetary agreement

The penns need to be up front and outline the model they wish to use to advance the club to everyone

The constitution and the fallout from this and the ensuing power struggle is tarnishing the club and many good Manly people that have given there time and efforts over many years

While zorba has been no angel he did not deserve the fallout over fridgegate after so many years of service and locking bob reilly out of the club is just devious and defies belief. Lets not forget the Ceo appointment

there was no way it was ever intended to cause such harm and to chip away at the soul of the club. Its time for everyone to grow up and do whats best for the club and its future whatever that may be

There is no politics here. This is Willaims against Rick Penn.
Penn said it, has not appoligised to williams liking.
Williams cant get satisfaction from the chairman because of a conflict of interest with Scott and Rick Penn. He has made a complant and made it public so it gets dealt with properly.
Thats it. No control stuff . The company,(club) runs well as Perry is running it.
Lets not cloud the issue.

Masked Eagle said:
Without getting into the sides of this particular part of the race debate because its doing my head in. BUT, why are people making the claim that Williams leaked this to the media? He may very well have, but we know he brought it to the intention of the NRL, so how do we know it wasn't leaked from someone there?

To me, the following excerpts from:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/racial-slur-stings-williams-20130601-2nih1.html

tells me that he went to the media too besides sending the letter to NRL chief executive Dave Smith:

Williams, who played 21 Tests for the Kiwis, claims the term was used ''to demean me, to talk down to me and treat me like a second-rate citizen''. ''In the context that he said it and the effect he wanted it to have, it was racist, absolutely,'' Williams told Fairfax Media.

''You can't talk to me - or anyone - like that. I'm not going to let it ride.''

Asked what he hoped to achieve by going public, the former Manly and Parramatta player said: ''I'd like [Rick Penn] to offer an apology and offer to stand down. I'd also like Scott, under these circumstances, to stand down from the chairmanship. There's a reason why we've had two votes of no-confidence in this guy. Because the chairman is supposed to show certain qualities, like leadership. I feel there is no protection from him. There should be. I should be comfortable going to another meeting knowing it will never happen again. I don't have that.''

Hmmm sounds more about political motives than racial ones. Sadly once again we seem to get these in depth, detailed confrontations played out in the media whereas most other clubs the media wouldn't bother with.

How does the NRL have power to investigate a club board meeting? Was it the football club or league club meeting? If it was said in the street can the NRL investigate?

Was Darrell's nickname in his playing days Tinkerbell?

Safe to assume this is a bunch of young to middle aged white men discussing the merits of racism?

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Jethro said:
Masked Eagle said:

To me, the following excerpts from:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/racial-slur-stings-williams-20130601-2nih1.html

tells me that he went to the media too besides sending the letter to NRL chief executive Dave Smith:

Williams, who played 21 Tests for the Kiwis, claims the term was used ''to demean me, to talk down to me and treat me like a second-rate citizen''. ''In the context that he said it and the effect he wanted it to have, it was racist, absolutely,'' Williams told Fairfax Media.

''You can't talk to me - or anyone - like that. I'm not going to let it ride.''

Asked what he hoped to achieve by going public, the former Manly and Parramatta player said: ''I'd like [Rick Penn] to offer an apology and offer to stand down. I'd also like Scott, under these circumstances, to stand down from the chairmanship. There's a reason why we've had two votes of no-confidence in this guy. Because the chairman is supposed to show certain qualities, like leadership. I feel there is no protection from him. There should be. I should be comfortable going to another meeting knowing it will never happen again. I don't have that.''

So it is then. I had only read the initial reports yesterday and they didn't have any of those direct quotes. I must admit I don't particuarly like the language used by Williams in those quotes. Makes me wonder about his motivation in coming forward to begin with.

Brissie Kid said:
How does the NRL have power to investigate a club board meeting? Was it the football club or league club meeting? If it was said in the street can the NRL investigate?

Was Darrell's nickname in his playing days Tinkerbell?

Yep, he was 'Tinkerbell'. Named after his running style, which saw him gliding across the turf on his tippy toes. Looked disconcertingly effeminate to most casual rugby league observers. Didn't stop him from being a great centre for the club though.
Have to agree with others though that his comments tend to suggest he's seen this as an opportunity to get the Penns off the board, which is disappointing. Keep it out of the papers, boys.

It is clear to all there are two camps on the board and it is well known that the owner of URM has offered to buy the Penn's out. The Penn Family & Max Delmege saved the club and that we cannot say enough of. However if Ric said what he said and offered no apology he needs to go. As a father of a disabled son i detest the word Spastic or Retard if used in a derogatory form. We need to hear both sides and allow it to be sorted but if i can tell you that sort of language no matter how trivial it may seem to some has no place in today's society. If the Penn's disagree with Williams stand up and man up and say it like it should be said. I hope this gets resolved quickly so Manly can continue moving forward as we have done since the Hasler Debacle last screwed things up.

So.....

I guess this means we're about to embark on a string of on field victories!

beaudy!!!

niccipops said:
COMMANDER said:
People are so quick to jump on the sexist/racist bandwagon these days
Yeah, sexist/racists have no rights these days. How is this a democracy? I vote for gay sexist/racist marriage.:p

Damn skippy

Any of you old fogies (sorry, I meant old farts) may remember an old TV Western called "Have Gun - Will Travel"?

Now, Richard Boone as Paladin always call out to his Chinese bellhop as "Hey Boy". Actor Kam Tong never complained about it.

I've just googled a line from the show. This is what the character has to say when someone made a mistake with his moniker -
Kim "Hey Boy" Chan: "My name Hey Boy, not Hey You."

--

lsz said:
Safe to assume this is a bunch of young to middle aged white men discussing the merits of racism?

This is easily the most racist thing I've read in this thread.

Here is my take on the three instances of sports related racism.

The thirteen year old girl was clearly racist and the worst offender but she claims ignorance and all is forgiven.

Eddie tries to foolishly make light of the first instance and becomes Hitler.

William's may well of been offended by the term but has all but admitted to using the instance as political leverage so I'm struggling to believe he was so gutted and convinced it was a used as a racial slur that he simply can't work in his position if the Penn's keep theirs. If this is the case he needs to take the full and appropriate legal action but I'm betting he won't.

All in all it is just the hot topic at the moment, just like we suddenly get a hundred earthquakes in a month or war with North Korea is imminent every second month. The news media and sensationalist repetitive rubbish like Today Tonight and A Current affair are slowly merging as one.

I'm not suggesting an outsider has the right to gauge a persons anger at a racial slur directed towards them but I am suggesting it happens all the damn time unreported and these particular instances are a storm in a teacup in comparison to racism seen elsewhere.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7