Back in the limelight again?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's public knowledge that Darrell is our tour host for next weekends NZ trip, he also did WCC for us last year. He's a top bloke and Manly through and through , the Penn's hate him because he's on the " other side" , expect a bit more of this as they try to get 100% control, that's all ill say!!

Sorry Mark, but expect a bit more of what?????
Darrel has bought this up and made it public so what else can we expect from Darrell....
We gotta stop taking sides and just look at what the issue is...not what side said what against the others.
If we have an issue sort it out...but don't continually hang out our dirty washing...I don't care who it is.

Bloody confusing to the average punter.
Sound like it should be on the Q & A,60 minutes or a double page spread in the tele bit i might be racist or descriminative also cause i hate every other team.
I reckon that they will work it out and we can continue backing our team of footy players and leave the running od the club to the other "boys"
Wonder waht Rex would make of this.
No news in a bye weekend so tjhey gotta say something
Go manly

Disco said:
Things like this should come out, stuff confidentiality.

Rick and Sean should both come out and do a formal apology and Rick should resign immediately!

Its absolutely not on, and to say "we don't know the context" is laughable.

To refer to someone as "sport", "champ", "tiger" is a way of positioning yourself above someone and demeaning them. To call someone of Aboriginal or African American decent "boy" is to do the same but with the weight of history behind you.

Its really poor form!
You are kidding about the terms sport, champ and tiger they are terms of endearment

Jethro said:
In my opinion, there has been wrong done by both sides. Rick Penn did the wrong with what he said and Scott Penn, in his position as the MWSE Chairman, should have pulled his son up.

Maybe Scott didn't pull his son up at the time because he took offense that Darrell had brought up the original complaint against him for Scott's "unauthorised conversation with a media outlet that centred, not for the first time, on Scott's disregard for our media protocols in place to prevent this from happening".

Both Penns should have and should still apologise.

Darrell Williams did the wrong thing by going to the media before exhausting all other options to rectify the matter. The question that I ask is, did Darrell also break the same media protocols that he picked Scott Penn for by going to the press or was his complaint to the press authorised?

Reading the article, he didn't go to the media, he sent a letter to Smith. The Penn's looked they tried t cover it up by attempting to remove to remove it from the minutes so they obviously knew it was obvious they knew they did something wrong.

How do you know Williams didn't exhaust all avenues?

But the bottom line, no matter who was at fault there's no room for racism.

I do hope Checcin hasn't been reading some of the stuff being said about him here.

swoop said:
Reading the article, he didn't go to the media, he sent a letter to Smith. The Penn's looked they tried t cover it up by attempting to remove to remove it from the minutes so they obviously knew it was obvious they knew they did something wrong.

First of all, I would like to correct a couple of slight errors that I failed to pick up and correct in my original post that you quoted at Post: #46. On two occasions, I inadvertently wrote "son" instead of "Dad". Instead of a quick glance over, I really should read fully what I write sometimes before I post. :s

Now to reply to your questions. There are two articles in this thread, one is the letter to to NRL chief executive Dave Smith that wombatgc posted at Post #3:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/letter-by-darrell-williams-20130601-2nima.html?rand=1370100068893

and the other which is the link at that bottom of Darren's originating post which has him talking to Fairfax Media (referred to at the end of paragraph 3):

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/racial-slur-stings-williams-20130601-2nih1.html

As for your question about how do I know that Williams didn't exhaust all avenues well, how do you know that he did? I don't really know that he did or didn't but reading both articles, there is nothing to say that he tried any legal means to rectify the situation before he went to the media. The only things that I can see from the two articles is that no apologies were forthcoming at either board meeting so he wrote a letter to NRL chief executive Dave Smith and then (or maybe at the same time) went to Fairfax media to air his disgust at the Penns.

As for your closing statement "But the bottom line, no matter who was at fault there's no room for racism." well, I totally agree with you and that's why I wrote in my post that you quoted that "Both Penns should have and should still apologise."

Unfortunately, this sounds like a politically motivated effort to oust the Penns.

I don't know what the main issue is, but I've been called "boy" many a times by old men like Rick. It may be annoying and condescending but I don't take it as anything more than that.

Ramrod it may or may not be a politically motivated effort against the Penns. That's neither here nor there, the Penns can try to get rid of Williams too if they want but race shouldn't be any part of that in either case.

As to being called 'boy', it's all in the context. From one white to another it is merely condescending, but to someone from a racial minority it is more than that.

Let's just say, if Rick is old, then it looks worse, because the most famous person on the planet visited this country sometime around 1980, and there would scarcely have been a handful of people who didn't hear about exactly how offensive that term was to him. I doubt anyone of my generation would be in the dark about that.

Only really hearing one side of the story here. Even without the Penn's version I think it's a claim motivated by a conflict between the two factions on the board, which is poor.

People are so quick to jump on the sexist/racist bandwagon these days and it's quite often to gain an advantage in an adversarial setting.

Williams is very familiar with defamation laws after he and fellow judiciary members successfully sued Waldron and Bellamy after Cam Smith was suspended prior to the 2008 Grand Final.

He could find himself on the other side of a defamation action in this instance.

Jethro said:
First of all, I would like to correct a couple of slight errors that I failed to pick up and correct in my original post that you quoted at Post: #46. On two occasions, I inadvertently wrote "son" instead of "Dad". Instead of a quick glance over, I really should read fully what I write sometimes before I post. :s

Looks like Fox Sports followed your lead, Jethro - they were also reporting Rick Penn as Scott Penn's son. Confused the hell out of me.

COMMANDER said:
People are so quick to jump on the sexist/racist bandwagon these days
Yeah, sexist/racists have no rights these days. How is this a democracy? I vote for gay sexist/racist marriage.:p

I vote we just get rid of all the "ists" and while we're at it most of the "isms" can piss off as well.

Comment by Moondog for Australalian Ismist Party. "We're Not Insane"

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Let's just say, if Rick is old, then it looks worse, because the most famous person on the planet visited this country sometime around 1980, and there would scarcely have been a handful of people who didn't hear about exactly how offensive that term was to him.

Now I know you're lying SER8. Justin Beiber wasn't even born yet in 1980, and besides, she is white.

Jethro said:
swoop said:

Now to reply to your questions. There are two articles in this thread, one is the letter to to NRL chief executive Dave Smith that wombatgc posted at Post #3:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/letter-by-darrell-williams-20130601-2nima.html?rand=1370100068893

and the other which is the link at that bottom of Darren's originating post which has him talking to Fairfax Media (referred to at the end of paragraph 3):

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/racial-slur-stings-williams-20130601-2nih1.html

As for your question about how do I know that Williams didn't exhaust all avenues well, how do you know that he did? I don't really know that he did or didn't but reading both articles, there is nothing to say that he tried any legal means to rectify the situation before he went to the media. The only things that I can see from the two articles is that no apologies were forthcoming at either board meeting so he wrote a letter to NRL chief executive Dave Smith and then (or maybe at the same time) went to Fairfax media to air his disgust at the Penns.

As for your closing statement "But the bottom line, no matter who was at fault there's no room for racism." well, I totally agree with you and that's why I wrote in my post that you quoted that "Both Penns should have and should still apologise."

That's the whole point. Everyone is making assumptions. I don't know what happened either. None of us know the facts so blaming one or the another is pointless.

Ah yes....political manoeuvering played out in the papers like a soap opera. He said, she said.

Lucky we're winning games or this stuff would be more than just spot fires. Must be a bye week....bring back the footy !!!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6