Barba the truth comes out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Look ill will be really honest. I will always be out spoken when it comes to violence against women.
My old man knocked around with Fred jones but unlike Fred my old man was a nasty Argo drunk. I witnessed my mum who was the strongest person I've known cop beating at the hands of my dad that would fell most blokes. For that reason I have zero tolerance for 1) scum like Barba and lui that hit women and 2) slime like greenscum who cover it up.

I hope Greenberg not only gets the sack but dies. I know how wrong that is but so is allowing domestic violence to continue. It ain't the 70s anymore we do not turn a blind eye.

As the NRL continues its investigation into claims the star fullback was the subject of a domestic violence complaint, The Daily Telegraph can reveal a partial transcript of the explosive text messages Ms Currie sent to a friend detailing the injuries she is alleged to have sustained following an altercation with Barba on February 24.

Ms Currie sent a friend a series of text messages describing her injuries before reluctantly sending a picture that showed the lower section of her face covered in blood.

"Nothings funny, you should see my face," Ms Currie wrote.

"It is not good ey (sic). Because it is ugly."

The friend urged Ms Currie to provide more details.

"I just have a busted lip," Ms Currie continued.

"I have to go away for a few days maybe weeks".

Ms Currie was asked by the concerned friend to send a picture so they could see the extent of the alleged injuries to face of Barba’s former partner.

“Ok do u (sic) want blood or the aftermath?" Ms Currie wrote.

"Blerh (sic)."

Ms Currie then set the photograph that was exclusively published in The Sunday Telegraph when the revelations of the assault allegations were revealed.

The picture is now in the hands of the NRL Integrity Unit, which is investigating the alleged assault as well as the possibility the incident was covered up by the club.

“I have the bigggggest bruised jaw ever," Ms Currie said after the friend asked when “he" did this.

“This morning. I can’t even remember how it all came about. I was lying dwn (sic) goin (sic) back to sleep."

The friend asked where "he" was, with Ms Currie stating “he" was at Belmore.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal further details of the alleged incident that saw Barba sent to rehabilitation after being stood down by the club.

Ms Currie told Bulldogs officials Barba confronted her in her Caringbah apartment on the morning of February 24 and asked her whether or not she was having a relationship with another man.

Ms Currie was estranged from Barba at the time and the footballer was in a relationship with another woman.

Barba is understood to have had an issue with the man he suspected had become close with his former partner.

Ms Currie is alleged to have fled over a balcony from the ground floor apartment she formerly shared with Barba before calling the footballer’s manager, Gavin Orr.

Mr Orr took Ms Currie to Belmore where the assault claims were made to Bulldogs coach Des Hasler and former CEO Todd Greenberg.

Both Greenberg and Hasler directed Ms Currie to go to police.

Ms Currie has resumed a relationship with Barba. Contrary to reports, Ms Currie is not living in Brisbane, but plans to move to Queensland with Barba when he begins his new contract with the Broncos.

Barba has admitted to having gambling and alcohol problems, which the Bulldogs have tried to address. The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Bulldogs pay a percentage of Barba’s wage directly into Ms Currie’s account.

The Bulldogs are co-operating fully with the NRL’s investigation. It has been incorrectly reported the club leaked the information to The Sunday Telegraph after Barba decided to seek a release from the final two years of his contract. The Sunday Telegraph broke the story after a six-week investigation, which began after the newspaper learned of the existence of the photo.

The Broncos have indicated they will honour the deal and support Barba.

Text message exchange between Ainslie Currie and a friend

FEBRUARY 25

Ainslie Currie: 9.31pm Nothins funny. U should see my face
Friend: 9.32pm Wtf is wrong with u?
Friend: 9.32pm Oi
Currie: 9.38pm Not good ey
Friend: 9.38pm Well care to show
Currie: 9.38pm Not really
Friend: 9.39pm Y
Currie: 9.39pm Cuz its ugly
Friend: 9.39pm Show me now
Currie: 9.39pm Haha no
Friend: 9.39pm Ainslie
Currie: 9.39pm (emoticon frown face)
Currie: 9.40pm Just have a busted lip.
Friend: 9.40pm Show me
Friend: 9.40pm Please
Currie: 9.40pm Hy
Currie: 9.40pm Why
Friend: 9.40pm Cause!
Currie: 9.41pm (emoticon smiley face poking tongue out)
Friend: 9.41pm Please
Currie: 9.41pm I have to go away for a few days maybe weeks
Friend: 9.41pm Omg show me
Currie: 9.42pm Can u not say anything or show anyone pls
Friend: 9.42pm I am not going too..
Currie: 9.42pm Ok i guess do u want blood or the aftermath hahaha
Friend: 9.42pm All of it
Currie: 9.43pm Nah
Friend: 9.43pm Yes
Currie: 9.43pm I dunnooooo
Friend: 9.43pm Please
Currie: 9.44pm Blerh
Currie: 9.44pm Delete it strait away
(Photo is sent)
Friend: 9.44pm Wtf when did he do this!
Currie: 9.44pm I have the bigggggest bruised jaw ever. Its yuk
Currie: 9.45pm This morning.
Friend: 9.45pm Y
(Message removed)
Currie: 9.46pm I cant even rememver how it all came about i was laying dwn goin back to sleep
(Message removed)
Friend: 9.46pm Where is he?
Currie: 9.47pm In belmore
Friend: 9.47pm Y?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/ainslie-curries-texts-to-a-friend-detail-injuries-after-allegedly-being-punched-by-ben-barba/story-fni3fbgz-1226709258918

Not sounding good at all. With the bulldogs being all high security shouldn't there be video footage of the girl appearing at Belmore.
I sense technical difficulties causing all evidence to have disappeared.

While players deserve the presumption of innocence action needs to be taken about these repeated serious incidents. There are obviously many 'boys club' cover ups. Why didn't Boyd and Norman speak the truth about what happened to the girl in the Teo saga?

Up here in Qld, GI, cap cheat. girl puncher and on a lesser note, serial diver, is constantly promoted as a hero of the game promoting the finals. Makes me want to hurl.

As a sport loving nation it seems our priorities about what's right and wrong are pretty mixed up.

Please note, I am not being hypocritical as I have always supported Snake and his case is quite unique. He also keeps away from the media.

my first thoughts on this are

wow, how on earth do these journos get such detailed info (the photo records) and
why would anyone think they could cover anything up nowadays, you would have to be seriously insane to think you are going to get away without someone finding and spilling the beans

niccipops said:
Not sounding good at all. With the bulldogs being all high security shouldn't there be video footage of the girl appearing at Belmore.
I sense technical difficulties causing all evidence to have disappeared.

While players deserve the presumption of innocence action needs to be taken about these repeated serious incidents. There are obviously many 'boys club' cover ups. Why didn't Boyd and Norman speak the truth about what happened to the girl in the Teo saga?

Up here in Qld, GI, cap cheat. girl puncher and on a lesser note, serial diver, is constantly promoted as a hero of the game promoting the finals. Makes me want to hurl.

As a sport loving nation it seems our priorities about what's right and wrong are pretty mixed up.

Please note, I am not being hypocritical as I have always supported Snake and his case is quite unique. He also keeps away from the media.

I too hate the way GI is promoted as a hero. It's an insult to all women who have ever been a victim of domestic violence . He is the last person Channel 9 should be using to promote the Finals Series. We should contact the NRL and Channel 9 to protest about this.

The Bulldogs once again involved in another cover up of violence towards a woman.

CAMBO said:
Look ill will be really honest. I will always be out spoken when it comes to violence against women.
My old man knocked around with Fred jones but unlike Fred my old man was a nasty Argo drunk. I witnessed my mum who was the strongest person I've known cop beating at the hands of my dad that would fell most blokes. For that reason I have zero tolerance for 1) scum like Barba and lui that hit women and 2) slime like greenscum who cover it up.

I hope Greenberg not only gets the sack but dies. I know how wrong that is but so is allowing domestic violence to continue. It ain't the 70s anymore we do not turn a blind eye.

Good post Cambo. Good on you for speaking out.I was disappointed watching the Sunday footy show Brad Fittler wanting it all hushed up (let the woman & Barba sort it out themselves he said).

A bloke on another forum alleges that there is another incident involving Barba on a bender doing something similar to another woman..

Wouldn't surprise me if someone brings that up down the track.

Kiwi Eagle said:
So just to be clear on all this, we are taking the Telegraphs word as gospel on this one ?

Look who wrote the original article. James Phelps.
James is a dogs fan and his brother was a former top grade player with them.

Looks like Greenturds in a spot of bother.... Lol... Couldn't haven't happened to a nicer bloke. Fining Tooves 10k because it was "a bad look for the game". What a f****** hypocrite!!!

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I reckon he will come out of this with a few scratches only.

They will argue that with the victim refusing to lodge a complaint to the Police they had no option but to just try the rehab exercise. They will argue that they did encourage her to go to the Police and she refused. They will argue that she specifically requested no one be notified and that they were respecting her wishes.

The findings will be that they "perhaps" should have notified the NRL, but that in the absence of a formal complaint they did all that they could reasonably do.

It will be a BS cover up.

The mauler has a fair point. If Toovey's comments are indicative of a scale of seriousness, Greenberg might be facing bankruptcy.

We need to wait for this to play out, I don't think it will take very long as the NRL can't afford for it drag on.

Has anyone tried to interview Des yet?

Ralphie said:
I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I reckon he will come out of this with a few scratches only.

They will argue that with the victim refusing to lodge a complaint to the Police they had no option but to just try the rehab exercise. They will argue that they did encourage her to go to the Police and she refused. They will argue that she specifically requested no one be notified and that they were respecting her wishes.

The findings will be that they "perhaps" should have notified the NRL, but that in the absence of a formal complaint they did all that they could reasonably do.

Ralphie if the club had evidence of a serious transgression by a player they should have reported it, end of story.

In this case the concern is that Greenberg may have had ample evidence of an offence, but, knowing it might be hard to prove in court, decided to keep it quiet. Coincidentally saving his club its star player. A lawyer may well have advised Barba to say nothing 'and it should go away'. But Greenberg was not in the position of a lawyer acting for a client, he had clear obligations not just to Barba but to the game of rugby league.

If Barba ever admitted to Greenberg that yes, he did this, then game over for Greenberg, in my view.

If Barba denied it the whole way through, it is more of a grey area. As is the role, if any, played by Hasler.

Remember the NRL Brand:exclamation:

Greenturd being axed, is a small price to pay for Sponsors/Broadcasters, let alone the NRL paying Public to trust their integrity again.

Imagine having him involved in any negotiations in the future, the Women of League will not forget his prioritising the protection of a 'reputation' as opposed to the Victim. The very least, Dogs should have sent her to a rehab clinic as well:dodgy:

Misleading, by omission is still perceived as unprofessional.:cool:

This should be a wake up call to all Directors, at all Clubs, to put their Club first and let Professionals deal with Players' off field issues :idea:

SeaEagleRock8 said:

Ralphie said:

Ralphie if the club had evidence of a serious transgression by a player they should have reported it, end of story.

In this case the concern is that Greenberg may have had ample evidence of an offence, but, knowing it might be hard to prove in court, decided to keep it quiet. Coincidentally saving his club its star player. A lawyer may well have advised Barba to say nothing 'and it should go away'. But Greenberg was not in the position of a lawyer acting for a client, he had clear obligations not just to Barba but to the game of rugby league.

If Barba ever admitted to Greenberg that yes, he did this, then game over for Greenberg, in my view.

If Barba denied it the whole way through, it is more of a grey area. As is the role, if any, played by Hasler.

I agree with you completely, but I just think they will want to save their "golden boy." All they have to do is have a defensible story and I was just illustrating what that story might look like.

The guy should be immediately sacked!

Just remember people, we're dealing with the Telegraph and their "investigations" and "exclusives". Yes the whole thing stinks of a cover up but my level of trust in the Telegraph is about equal to my level of trust in the Bulldogs.

Let's reserve judgement and as in all these cases and simply hope that justice is done, whatever that may be.

It needs more than justice to be done this time Duff, it must also be seen to be done. If they just come out and announce, 'It's OK everyone, we found Todd did nothing wrong', that won't erase the public doubts. Some genuine transparency is required this time if the ARLC itself is to avoid allegations of 'cover up'.

The following article is from May 12th

Ugly bruise on the face of the game
Jess Halloran
The Sunday Telegraph
May 12, 2013 12:00AM
THERE'S a photo of a footballer's girlfriend and her face is bleeding.

It has been circulated across the NRL. It has divided teammates. It has threatened to ruin careers.

The footballer in question is a hero and plays on to adoring fans. Yet the woman suffers in silence.

The club keeps the whole incident under cover - anything to keep winning football games.

So why are we celebrating a "Women in League" round this week when clearly the ugly truth is hidden behind pink scarves and jerseys?

The game would have more to celebrate if this footballer never played again.

It is time for the new rugby league administration to take a strong stance on those footballers who commit an act of violence against a woman - the NRL should ban them for life if they truly want to show they respect the female fans and staffers.

Forget the focus on the pink-themed lunches. If we really want to get serious about women in league, why doesn't the NRL ban domestic violence offender Robert Lui, the halfback from North Queensland?

Domestic violence offender and ex-Cronulla Shark Isaac Gordon should never be allowed to play in the NRL again. It was just over a year ago - albeit after immense public pressure and not the NRL's initiative - that Lui was suspended for the 2012 season after he assaulted his partner Taleah Rae Backo.

Gordon was also rubbed out for nine matches after he was found guilty of assaulting his then girlfriend Karen Lee Davidson who was seven months pregnant.

Some may argue that these men should always be given a second chance on the footy field.

Absolutely, men who offend should have the opportunity to be rehabilitated - but not in the public eye, not in the football arena.

You see as soon as Lui runs onto the field he automatically becomes a hero again in some fans' eyes, not all, but some. On the football field people find it easier to forget Lui allegedly kicked Backo, the mother of his child, in the temple and head-butted her on the Tigers' Mad Monday celebrations in 2011.

On the football field, Gordon's physical feats last year overshadowed the fact he not only physically but also verbally abused his then girlfriend, who was seven months pregnant at the time, allegedly telling her: "Hit me, hit me, I'll hit you back. It's self defence, I'll kill you f ... ing bitch."

Fans may applaud these players for their courage on the field but they are ultimately cowards off it.

If the NRL were to rub violent offenders out of the game forever, it would send a strong message that domestic violence is in no way condoned.

But why isn't there more outrage about their very presence on the footy field - why don't their peers speak up?

This week would be a great chance for the footballer who wins the annual Women In League "favourite son" award to speak up. I would love to see this "favourite son" address issues that really matter to women who support the game and bring about change.

Can someone who is fluent in Gen Y SMS speak please decipher that text message exchange and let me know what happened.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6