Baz, it's time to leave Manly – and no, you don't deserve a cent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
From your summation of Barrett's legal position it does not surprise me that you cannot work things out .... however the good news is that there is a 100% sure fire way that will prove which one of us is a (as you say) pigheaded or stupid .... and we wont have to wait very long .....

If the club announces that Barrett has been appointed assistant coach to Jersey Flegg or some other lower role and he takes it or leaves without a payout ,,,,, then you are obviously correct ..... If they pay him out ..... then I am correct .......

PSS ..... However, whoever wrote your employment contracts was a comlete dill or more likely they sound like they were written by the company and you just signed them like a good little boy ....... you should have consulted me for advice .....

They’ll pay out his notice period not his contract.

From your summation of Barrett's legal position it does not surprise me that you cannot work things out .... however the good news is that there is a 100% sure fire way that will prove which one of us is a (as you say) pigheaded or stupid .... and we wont have to wait very long .....

If the club announces that Barrett has been appointed assistant coach to Jersey Flegg or some other lower role and he takes it or leaves without a payout ,,,,, then you are obviously correct ..... If they pay him out ..... then I am correct .......

PSS ..... However, whoever wrote your employment contracts was a comlete dill or more likely they sound like they were written by the company and you just signed them like a good little boy ....... you should have consulted me for advice .....
Ps you are a conceited, patronizing douche bag with delusions of grandeur

They may also just put him on garden leave. That's what happened to me, and I appreciated the 4 week paid holiday :)

Possible ; but a few years back they brought in rules to stop companies from doing some of those things ..... in many cases the arrangement would need to be mutual .... for example goverment depts having redundant employees sit and sort paper clips rather than paying them out .... now comes under mental cruelty ..haha .....

Possible ; but a few years back they brought in rules to stop companies from doing some of those things ..... in many cases the arrangement would need to be mutual .... for example government depts having redundant employees sit and sort paper clips rather than paying them out .... now comes under mental cruelty ..haha .....
this isnt government. They can do whatever they like with him as long as they continue to pay his salary. His title would remain the same. Nothing stopping them in the IR rules to put him gardening leave or reduced duties.

The laws are setup so that the employees salary is protected and the business has the right to protect itself from any potential harm an employee may cause in that time especially in hostile situations like this. It is completely reasonable for them to change his duties or remove them all whilst he serves out his notice period. The business is protected and so is the employee.

this isnt government. They can do whatever they like with him as long as they continue to pay his salary. His title would remain the same. Nothing stopping them in the IR rules to put him gardening leave or reduced duties.

The laws are setup so that the employees salary is protected and the business has the right to protect itself from any potential harm an employee may cause in that time especially in hostile situations like this. It is completely reasonable for them to change his duties or remove them all whilst he serves out his notice period. The business is protected and so is the employee.

Agree .... however I remember a case being argued a few years back when an employee (in IT coincidentally) was put on garden leave for 18 months .... he successfully argued that a period that long out of the industry, loop, and professional network would have a considerable negative impact on his career and future employment prospects ..... the company ended up settling an out of court payout .....

I'm with you though ... being paid to play golf, surf and drink coffee would have satisfied my lazy arrse ....

PSS ... again agree .... but it is because of this that many smart employee solicitors now require words to the effect "and perform the duties and resposibilities" ..... included ..

I would assume Barrett's employment contract has a gardening leave provision and appropriate provisions to cover transitional arrangements. If it doesn't the club probably should sack its lawyers.

Assuming it does, Barrett needs to decide whether he sits back and collects a pay cheque until July or agrees to a release so he can pursue other opportunities. I suspect he has not seriously pursued the release yet because there are no other opportunities (even though he probably thought there were *cough cough GUS cough* when he resigned).

Somebody will probably pick up Barrett in some capacity in the next few months. It won't be a head coach role, so there will be a very significant pay cut, but if Barrett wants to continue to have a coaching career of some sort in the NRL he'd take it and he'd need to get Manly to agree to a release so he could do so.

Manly don't want to pay Barrett while he's collecting a pay cheque from somewhere else (and most likely trying to poach our players), and that's fair enough.

You’re a moron who masquerades as intelligent. I’ve tiptoed round this repeatedly while you insult myself and others trying to drill into wording. Well how about you do it for your own posts. You stated that in his contract it states he’s the head coach. Well unless you’ve read it you can’t possibly know that. The whole idea that manly is in breach if they change his role is bull****. IR protects him to ensure he is receiving his contractual monetary entitlements which is what he’s receiving. They can vary his role to handle transition though, it’s done constantly.

I’ve resigned from jobs where in the handover I’m doing a significantly different job to my job description. It’s the nature of a transition.

I can’t work out if the fact you can’t see that is pigheadedness or stupidity or both

Agree .... however I remember a case being argued a few years back when an employee (in IT coincidentally) was put on garden leave for 18 months .... he successfully argued that a period that long out of the industry, loop, and professional network would have a considerable negative impact on his career and future employment prospects ..... the company ended up settling an out of court payout .....

I'm with you though ... being paid to play golf, surf and drink coffee would have satisfied my lazy arrse ....
I literally said the same thing as dan that IR protects his salary not his role and you disagreed with me and implied I’m an idiot. Seriously mate at least be consistent.

I have lost any respect I had for you and just think you’re a garden variety troll

I would assume Barrett's employment contract has a gardening leave provision and appropriate provisions to cover transitional arrangements. If it doesn't the club probably should sack its lawyers.

Assuming it does, Barrett needs to decide whether he sits back and collects a pay cheque until July or agrees to a release so he can pursue other opportunities. I suspect he has not seriously pursued the release yet because there are no other opportunities (even though he probably thought there were *cough cough GUS cough* when he resigned).

Somebody will probably pick up Barrett in some capacity in the next few months. It won't be a head coach role, so there will be a very significant pay cut, but if Barrett wants to continue to have a coaching career of some sort in the NRL he'd take it and he'd need to get Manly to agree to a release so he could do so.

Manly don't want to pay Barrett while he's collecting a pay cheque from somewhere else (and most likely trying to poach our players), and that's fair enough.

Cricket Australia will be after a High performance Manager in the coming weeks, maybe thats what he is waiting for.

I had high hopes for Barrett when he first started and he came with big raps. The current situation is untenable and ultimately this was a well thought out tactic by Barrett. He knew (and may have been guided by his manager) the likely outcome of 12 months notice e.g. a payout. Manly so far appear to have called his bluff and given he has not turned up to training I actually think he is on gardening leave - not a bad result if you can get it. It may also help with Penn/Manly cash flow versus a payout.

With respect to Barrett being a “great coach” I am yet to see any evidence/facts to support this. His career at Penrith, primarily with Flegg was modest at best. His handling of the Ferris/Willie Peters, Hastings incidents seemed to poorly handled. Alleged “drinking with the boys culture” is unacceptable at all professionally run clubs.

I know the Turbos love him and repeatedly say he is a “great coach”. Based on what? He appears a great mentor, mate, friend - but this is not the same. Jamie Lyons cquoted comments “He appears a great coach” or words to that effect - where does this come from? As far as I know Killer has never played under him or been associated with him.

While I am not on the Des bandwagon (the way he left and the state of the club is hard for me to overlook) I also find it hard to have sympathy for Barrett - he could have just left. He bad mouthed his employers, bad mouthed the club, ran the facilities down and took no responsibility. He basically shat in his own nest.

12 months notice was dumb should have 6 months or season’s end whatever comes first. It’s not rocket science.

TRENT Barrett is set to turn up for work at Sea Eagles headquarters Friday morning in a move that will dramatically escalate tensions at Manly.

The departing coach is still contracted with the club for another eight months and is determined to fulfil his obligations.

It is set to be the first time Barrett has appeared at Narrabeen since the appointment of new coach Des Hasler in late October.

Barrett resigned in July but is serving out a notice period that still has eight months to run.

Manly and Barrett have been working toward a financial settlement but neither party can reach an agreement.

Unless a deal can be struck early Friday morning, Barrett is likely to head back to Narrabeen, but it is unclear what duties he would perform.

There had been speculation that both coaches would turn up to work on the same day last Monday, but the media attention contributed to keep them away.

In what would be a farcical situation, Barrett’s appearance could prompt Hasler to stay away.

Hasler is becoming increasingly frustrated that the Barrett situation hasn’t been resolved.

Manly’s board last week felt they had found a financial conclusion to the ongoing saga. Hasler attended the board meeting.

However it now appears Barrett’s camp didn’t agree to the terms and the matter remains unresolved.

Hasler has been strongly urging Manly chief executive Lyall Gorman to find a solution to the issue. The new Manly coach just wants a clear path to start preparing for the 2019 season.

Manly officials were saying nothing on Thursday night, neither were those in Barrett’s corner.

Hasler has stated he doesn’t want Barrett around Narrabeen.

Those close to Hasler claim it’s not personal but Barrett’s attendance would only confuse players.

Meanwhile, Manly released centre Brian Kelly from the final season of his contract to move to the Gold Coast Titans. Kelly, 22, played 47 games for Manly.

Trent Barrett will turn up for work at Sea Eagles headquarters on Friday
DEAN RITCHIE, EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
November 8, 2018 6:48am
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...qw_iQzQgn4DEg0f6GB7AN_kRL1EbBdjm6lFuKTIS28SGU

Don’t believe everything u read in the paper - even if he did turn up he wouldn’t get near the players. Obviously he has another offer and wants to be ‘freed’ sooner rather than later to pursue it. Why give money away to him when that could be used to fix the gym he doesn’t like.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10