Betting Story / Scandal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
So should Inglis, Smith and Slater etc have been sacked.

All the drug takers be sacked, some have been immortalised others made state captains.

Should all the wife beaters be sacked.

Should all the spear tacklers be sacked.

Thankfully Toovey and the Club dont see this as anything other than a petty offence, a bit like being offside.

Top End Eagle said:
Well said napper. I can't understand why people are trying to defend him. The hypocrisy doesn't lie in the NRL's sponsors it lies with those here who try to defend the indefensible. If it was a five cent bet on one occasion it was still wrong. He should be sacked.

Even if he was in 2008 form I'd say the same thing.

I'd just be a bit more pissed off that Manly would be missing him :p

And his suspension as a clean skin isn't ending his career. His form and (admittedly) injuries did that. His modelling pfft good luck to him I would have Jamie Lyon any day. If I played outside him I reckon I would have been top try scorer too.

Yeah I'm glad a fair few of us see it in perspective.

It would be far, far worse if he was backing against us or himself in any way.
But backing yourself is only going to make you have a bigger dig out there!

Still very silly and some punishment is necessary.

I can see everyone's points of view on it and especially see the hypocrisy of the NRL in bed with all the betting agencies, so to speak.

Whatever Wolfie's future from here, I just hope fans also remember the great things he did for Manly; and I really hope his team-mates and brothers at Manly stick by him now.

I'd back that in, too!

bob dylan said:
So should Inglis, Smith and Slater etc have been sacked.

All the drug takers be sacked, some have been immortalised others made state captains.

Should all the wife beaters be sacked.

Should all the spear tacklers be sacked.

Thankfully Toovey and the Club dont see this as anything other than a petty offence, a bit like being offside.

Nothing to do with the storm. How can people not see that. Again take your manly glasses off. Nrl player places bets on games he is involved in or has insider knowledge of. Sack him. The degree of the bet doesn't matter. I could put five dollars on Jason king kicking a field goal for first points and make a killing if it came off and I knew Jason king was starting and was set up all week to kick a field goal.

But I don't have insider knowledge and haven't signed an nrl contract prohibiting me from betting on the game in any form. His career is over and he no longer has the public support/reputation for a career in the public life. And it's a shame.

RiverEagle said:
Whatever Wolfie's future from here, I just hope fans also remember the great things he did for Manly; and I really hope his team-mates and brothers at Manly stick by him now.

I'd back that in, too!

I'll be remembering him breaking his neck for his club trying to score against the storm in '11 and that body contorting try against the rabbids last year. Wolfman at his best.

I will let it go. Some fans here can't think rationally and that's understandable considering all the positive things david wolfman Williams has done for our club and the greater rugby league game/community. I honestly wish him all the best but can't out of some sense of fandom forgive what he has done nor try to turn it around and say that it is hypocritical.

Always been a big wolf man fan. I reckon he's way ahead if Hiku.

But, stupid is as stupid does. For an intelligent articulate bloke he is - dead set he would have known he was doing wrong.

May well end his NRL career this.

Stupid.

Just a question for those who want him sacked.

If it was Lyon, DCE, Brett, Foran or Choc would you want them sacked?

I get why the NRL takes this so seriously. It has the potential to compromise the game. A criminal syndicate finds that a certain player is partial to a bet on the game. So they send a large and menacing lackey or two around to his place suggesting that next game he misses a few tackles, or fumbles a couple of balls. Or even use bribery. Then they try this on a few others whom they know have a bet and all of a sudden matches are being determined by these gangs rather than the referees (which we hate, but can live with). So better to nip it in the bud and take away a possible 'in' by crims.
In terms of other offences that players have committed, bashing women is obscene, drink driving etc is stupid and dangerous, but the courts deal with these, it's not up to the NRL. Any sanction the NRL applies to these is additional to that imposed by the courts.
Betting through a legal betting agency is not illegal, so the game has to police it, and follow up with appropriate penalties.

niccipops said:
RiverEagle said:

I'd back that in, too!

I'll be remembering him breaking his neck for his club trying to score against the storm in '11 and that body contorting try against the rabbids last year. Wolfman at his best.

Agree with all this and good memories @Niccipops, amongst many, from one Wolfie lover to another!

What a fall from grace. I can't believe Wolfie has been so stupid....so disappointed in him. At least he hasn't physically hurt anyone, except himself and his fans!

Yes RE, I hope his teammates stick by him and he learns from his mistakes. And I'm clinging to a small hope a miracle happens - he stays at Manly next year and comes back to 1st grade better than ever. Not holding my breath though!

Whilst I don't condone what he's done, I certainly don't condemn. I would hope the club and his mates still support him.

I do see the hypocrisy of the nrl admin all over this as well.

People with worse actions are glorified, and unfortunately for wolfie he didn't have todd in his corner, denying everything and mea culping to the media whilst wolfie spent 30mins in rehab only to return a changed man.

I'm not sure why he did it, (not sure why officials names are being protected either....1 could argue their influence over a game is a lot more...and hence a lot more serious)....but I certainly would not abandon him either.

It feels like the nrl wanted to make a big stance over this (which is absolutely fine) and they've been given the perfect player. A well known name (proves no one in unaccountable{unless you're todd}) but that well known name is in reserve grade so the club won't make too much of a fuss.

Perfect!

Again, I don't know why he did it (could gambling be an addiction??) but he's welcome here anytime (preferably before 10pm though wolfie.)

edit: The irony of reading the article from bulldogs players about how their club is squeaky clean regarding betting is making me sick. Not only the tandy tragedy but the fact their leagues club survives from sucking millions of dollars of cash from their 'fans' is appalling. (but we all argued about that before).

I don't punt. Can anyone tell me if jockeys can bet on the ponies if they don't have a ride in that race ? I'd doubt it.

Wolfie did the wrong thing and has to cop the punishment. But it baffles me why he wouldn't just give the money to his brother and tell HIM to place the bet. It hardly takes 3 doctorates to figure out a way around that rule.

I understand people siting the hypocrisy of the NRL having so many sponsorships from betting agencies. But that's like claiming you've got a drinking problem because beer companies sponsor NSW and Qld. (actually XXXX isn't a beer but I digress)

I think the penalty is harsh but I doubt anyone else will be dumb enough to get caught (or do I overestimate the intelligence of your average footballer ?.... Methinks I do.)

And don't get me wrong here either.

I'm not condoning or defending the action; just wanting ppl to see it in context.

Silly, even a stupid thing to do.

But it's a lot less serious to me than DUI's or assaults, domestic violence and drunken, boorish behaviour.

There's also a big difference in that they were often $5 bets (not $500 or significant investment) and as I said, very different backing yourself or our team to win and perform, than against.

There's also a world apart from what Wolfie did and match-fixing and organized-crime.

Just drop your pitchforks there a bit...lol.

And yes, I admit I see it a bit differently because he's one of us. Just as you'd back your mate, brother or missus in a situation like this.

That's what support means, to me anyway.

As for his future now @ALinda who knows.

What he achieved for Manly, NSW and Australia far outweighs a rash of 5 buck bets...including on himself to score tries!

I bloody hope he won a few bucks now, considering this penalty!

bob dylan said:
Fact is he wont be sacked because its a storm in a tea cup.

storm-in-a-teacup.jpg

Where does everyone get the idea that the bets were only $5? Doyle said "often as little as $5"

Given the severity of the suspension I suggest he has put more than a lazy fiver down. Insert emoticon so all can understand

Silly move by the guy, and it understand why they needed to make such a strong stand, look at match fixing in cricket and soccer - the league needs to make a stand early before problems really arise (if they haven't already)

I suppose the announcement that the NRL will be severing all ties with any organisation with links to gambling can be expected any time soon....
Yeah right, not when we can get duplicity and mock indignation instead.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8