Big Game Record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's impossible to compare Tooveys record with the dog C's record because they have different rosters and face different opposition rosters etc.
However, If we must compare then we only have two years of Toovey coaching years to consider. Taking into account that Manly were reigning Premiers when Tooves took over, then it's only fair we use the two years following a Grand final win for Hasler as well. We all know other teams lift when playing the premiers so it would be unfair to use reigning premiers for Toovey and not for Dogsler. It also ensures we are comparing each with a strong roster (Grand final winning roster. Strongest roster in NRL).
Toovey won one finals match from 3 last year. Toovey lost week 1 this year but has at least one more game to come. Toovey coached teams made the top 4 both years.
Hasler's record the two years following a grand final win is zero wins from two finals matches and scraped into the eight both times. In fact had the storm not been stripped of their points, king des would have coached a team that missed the finals.

Also, In the six matches manly have played so far this year against the other top four teams:
Lost to chooks twice without Brett Stewart playing.
Lost to Souths when everyone knows a referee error cost us the game.(Matai try)
Lost to chooks at SFS without Foran.
Lost to Souths at Brookie. Again a disallowed try (symonds) could have turned the game if it was awarded like it should have been.
Drew with the storm without Brett Stewart.
Belted the storm at Brookie.
Manly are the only team in the NRL in 2013 to not have lost a game by 13+
Hasler was/is a great coach. Toovey is/ will be a great coach. I'm sick of people only taking into account statistics that suit their agenda, because they have a dislike for someone or they preferred someone else.

Ralphie said:
swoop said:
Ryan have a look at our 2009 and 2010 rosters and go check out the results.

All year I have heard time and again that we have the best backline in the comp, particular the best halves. I have also heard how well Lawrence, Symonds, Fa'oso and Horo have been going and adding to our top shelf forwards in Kitey, Choc and Gifty.

There's absolutely no way anyone can use our roster as an excuse.

Many times during the year did you state we were pretty ordinary, ladder position inflated because of byes, probably won't make the top 4 etc etc etc. Now we made the top 4, pushed the minor premiers all the way after you also stated we were no chance at all without Stewart, and you're still not happy with it all ?

Thought that achieving above most of your own opinions from throughout the year above might have you happy with the season and how Toovey has gone

bones said:
Kiwi... Some people just aren't happy unless they're not happy.

There are a few posters on here that you'll never convince. Maybe they'd be happy supporting a club like the Eels. It's an absolute rabble over there.

swoop said:
bones said:

There are a few posters on here that you'll never convince. Maybe they'd be happy supporting a club like the Eels. It's an absolute rabble over there.

Probably better they support Souths. Surely they couldn't find anything to whinge about over there. Or could they? ;)

bones said:

As long as we are still alive, I'm happy. Assessment and critical analysis is best done once all is done and dusted. Toovey currently sits at 25% in finals games, win next week and that hits 40%, win the week after and he hits 50% and all this debate is absolutely irrelevant

I remember Warriors fans in 2011 blowing up about what a **** coach Cleary was after Brisbane put 40 on them up in week 1 of the finals, 3 weeks later they lost to us in the GF and everyone considered the year a success

bones said:
Hasler was/is a great coach. Toovey is/ will be a great coach. I'm sick of people only taking into account statistics that suit their agenda, because they have a dislike for someone or they preferred someone else.
Oh yes. 10/10 for this. Spot on!!

Love how you called hasler a 'C' Hahaha!!

What I can't get my head around is, 'a manly fan who hates Geoff Toovey'

You might as well head back down to N S Oval and support the park footy team that still lies in your bitter heart.

mozgrame said:
swoop said:
bones said:

Probably better they support Souths. Surely they couldn't find anything to whinge about over there. Or could they? ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a Mayan calendar on their wall or a membership card for the Flat Earth Society.

I'm very happy with Tooves as coach.

If I could pick any coach to coach our team then I'd stick with the one we have.

I'm sick to death of people questioning his ability. FFS we just lost one of the greatest finals games I have seen in over 40 years by a scoreline of 4-0. Don't quote me on this but I believe there were no line breaks against us and the only try came from a kick.

The loss came against the minor premiers who are a very, very good side.

I love you Tooves and will never doubt you.

One interesting bit of trivia is that we have only been held scoreless 3 times since 2003. All 3 of those occasions were in finals games. Twice against St Merge and then Saturday night.

"Support another club", "some people are never happy", "your too lazy" - eeeergh. I remember the days when we used to have healthy and vibrant debates around here.

Now, I'm talking about Toovey as a coach here. I'm talking about his ability to get our side up in big games (stats above). I'm not talking about his character, like most are about Hasler who, might I add, along with Crusher is a club legend, and always will be ... but I guess that's how people roll around here.

There is no excuses this weekend. We lose, there are huge issues about our ability to win the games that matter. Season proper is one thing, and I won't complain about that, but geez, we need to get up once and a while in the big ones.

Chip and Chase said:
One interesting bit of trivia is that we have only been held scoreless 3 times since 2003. All 3 of those occasions were in finals games. Twice against St Merge and then Saturday night.

Two were coached by Hasler and only one by Tooves lol

Ryan said:
Now, I'm talking about Toovey as a coach here. I'm talking about his ability to get our side up in big games (stats above).

There is no excuses this weekend. We lose, there are huge issues about our ability to win the games that matter. Season proper is one thing, and I won't complain about that, but geez, we need to get up once and a while in the big ones.

Bull****.

You seriously saying the team wasn't up for it?

You can't pick and choose stats to push your view but using that analogy what's the excuses for 2009 and 2010?

Toovey didn't inherit all the personel that the dog had and we were written off pre-season.

But no use trying to convince you because you have a personal issue with Toovey.

Kiwi Eagle said:
As long as we are still alive, I'm happy. Assessment and critical analysis is best done once all is done and dusted. Toovey currently sits at 25% in finals games, win next week and that hits 40%, win the week after and he hits 50% and all this debate is absolutely irrelevant

I remember Warriors fans in 2011 blowing up about what a s**t coach Cleary was after Brisbane put 40 on them up in week 1 of the finals, 3 weeks later they lost to us in the GF and everyone considered the year a success
I was just about to post something similar. Wait till we are finished and make your judgments then.

One thing I do like about Toovey is he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. He even managed a couple of wry grins during his famous 'ridiculous' press conference. I think he has maintained a great spirit and harmony within our squad. Which is probably why they play their guts out each week.

swoop said:
Ryan said:
Now, I'm talking about Toovey as a coach here. I'm talking about his ability to get our side up in big games (stats above).

You can't pick and choose stats to push your view but using that analogy what's the excuses for 2009 and 2010?

The Toovey-haters have been asked that question so many times now, and each time they refuse to answer it because they have no comeback to it.

It's a bit rich supporting such a successful team and complaining about our big game record, the term spoilt brat comes to mind.

However, if there is something that irks me it's our seeming inability to win as the underdog in a finals game, 2008 aside.

If we go in as favourite we invariably win and its the opposite if we go in as the roughy. At least since 2005 anyway. Our record is a little like the Blues in origin. If we don't have the team on paper we can't do the job. QLD don't need to be the favourites. Regardless of which, i wouldn't have it any other way. Our success is the envy of the league and if we have a team strong enough to be favourites more often than not than its fine by me. After all, you get favoured due to quality of players, coaching, culture, work ethic etc etc, something our team has in truck loads.

I like Toovey but some on here go absolute end spectrum when questioning how we are going means you hate Tooves!! Someone wrote we had only won so many games against the top teams and so they hate Tooves!! How do you go at work when there's disputes? Throwing clipboards up into the air and storming out in a huff :D

Ralphie, interesting facts that I hadn't seen but negative stuff won't go down well here. You are only supposed to quote positive facts like Hiku's metres the other night. :cool:

Tooves has done quite well considering we haven't got the best squad and King and Brett are out. Unfortunately his outburst would have showed Easts and Souths that he is really learning the ropes as a head coach and we looked lost when crunch time was on. (We also need to question Foran, DCE and Johns here as well)

Maguire seems like he will be the new supercoach of this era.

Darren said:
Maguire seems like he will be the new supercoach of this era.
Not to say his team can't win this year, but Maguire seems like he will be the new supergrub win-at-all-costs Bellamy type coach to me. Robinson is the one who has been more impressive from what I've seen.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2