Blowing the Whistle on em

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Mmmmm...................maybe we shouldn't give away more penalties than our opposition. All these threads about how we are being penalised during games assumes that the refs are cheats and we are squeaky clean.

Time to move on guys. I'm tired of the siege mentality. All teams are hard done by from time to time.

That's exactly the point though - when one team in a match is being penalised for 'grey area' things, and the other team involved in that match is not being pinged for exactly the same discretionary indiscretions...that doesn't really count as 'giving away' penalties.

Oh, and it doesn't just happen in Manly games. Watch a few other matches that you have no vested interest in, and observe the way momentum, for example, is deliberately shifted one way or the other by the officials. Particularly interesting to watch what happens in the second half, if one team has managed to rack up a decent lead - all of a sudden their *discipline* goes to crap, and the trailing team magically discover disciplinary perfection? Pull the other one.

I tend to agree with Frank. I was banging on about how woeful our discipline was early in the year, and it has raised its head on and off through the season (including the Panthers game). While we have copped some stinker decisions (and ALL teams do at stages), overall I think our discipline has brought much of the penalty discrepancy upon ourselves.

It's quite simple in theory at least.
  1. Respect the ball
  2. Have the discipline to execute the basics well
  3. Accept that the refs are always right even when they are wrong
  4. Adjust to what is happening on the day.
  5. And to look at 3 & 4 from another angle, play pro-actively and positively, not from emotional reactivity (leave that to us fans).
Siege mentality is all fine and good, but it still has to be channelled in a constructive way. Allowing frustration to overwhelm the cortical process, and openly complaining to refs is no way to get you up. Internalising the frustration and re-framing it as a positive desire to prevail against whatever is thrown at you, is a much more productive use of the perceived bias.

Then maybe we need to recruit another coach, one that knows how to coach their players to play perfect footy. Someone like flanagan or griffin. Our current and last 2 coaches don't seem to have mastered that for some strange reason

Then maybe we need to recruit another coach, one that knows how to coach their players to play perfect footy. Someone like flanagan or griffin. Our current and last 2 coaches don't seem to have mastered that for some strange reason

Also, a captain that can advise the referee on how we would like the game officiated, and have his suggestions taken on board, like Scam Smith does.

Or one who can chuck whatever wobblies he wants at the officialdom and not get pinged for it, a la Thurston.

Obviously DCE approaching the pinkies in a calm, measured, respectful fashion is really pissing them off, and causing them to react by blowing the pea out of the whistle...

Interesting reading. From that you can see who bad Perineum's performance was on Saturday - the most lopsided count of the season, and by some margin.

Some teams are happy to give away penalties and back their defence. I seem to recall that the Roosters during their run of minor premierships were one of the most penalised teams every season. Maybe we are being coached along those lines a bit. I'm more interested in where penalties are given and what effect it has on field position and momentum. Giving away back to back penalties in your own 20 when you are under the pump and are forced into a professional foul type penalty to slow down play isn't as consequential as a 4th or 5th tackle penalty in oppositions half.

Interesting reading. From that you can see who bad Perineum's performance was on Saturday - the most lopsided count of the season, and by some margin.

And I was giving Henry the benefit of the doubt with the stat in the spreadsheet. NRL stats site has it as 12 to 4 penalty count but I recall Barrett saying in the presser it was actually 14 against us which is also what the NRLs own official website has.

I don't mind if we are getting penalised for slowing the play the call, but the refs have to give them to us for the same reasons. Penrith were slowing us down just as much. That's what annoys me

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10