Brett Stewart rumour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Im a srewart fan, he has been instrumental in all of manlys success over the last decade. He has often been the difference between being a good side and being contenders.

But his contributions these days are not worth the cap space. We are half way through the season and he has probably only had one half this year where he has been dominant, maybe round 3 or 4. I didnt see last weeks game so cant comment.

He has been a champion, but if he is nudged its probably due to either poor judgement by whoever signed him for another 3 years or by some super smooth talking manager. Ultimately this has set this shocking scene

We should be celebrating his testimonial year, but due to poor planning we look to be moving a club legend out of the fold, which doesnt tell the story it should. It would be nice if a better solution can be found , rather than tapping him on the shoulder. It shouldnt happen but probably has too.

Realisticly brett has very little footy left in him, but his contract and the cash is too hard to knock back considering, and who could blame him really.

This is a massive clanger for the previous management, like it or not. Maybe he should get a watmough deal at seasons end

The fact of the matter is, you can't afford to carry a guy on what - 600K with shot hammies who may play half the season. If they can work out a mutually palatable separation then so it goes.

Also, the fact his play has been off means that replacing him is less of a dire prospect than it was a couple of years ago...

Mixed feelings here, we don't have another player in the squad that can do the things he can do but its clear that his time needs to come to an end in the next year or so. We really are in for a few rebuilding seasons, that's for sure. Tom T has a long way to go before adding as much as Snake does to the team when he is on the field.

What? Now I'm confused didn't Penn come out and say he didn't like the way Gifty was treated and wasn't this the start of the downfall of Toovey? Does this mean this decision will be the downfall of Barrett if he has anything to do with it....

No. Gifty was left in the dark with no answer on a new contract so found a new one elsewhere. Seems to me the players are fully notified on their position at the club and now have time to field offers

All this talk of Tom T being overrated is laughable. Do people just expect a 19 year old to come out and dominate like they have in the 20's?

It took years of first grade for Snake to become the elite all round fullback he was. His ball playing was essentially non-existant in the early years, his kick returns have never been an asset (Tom already leaves him for dead in this regard).

Are people's memories clouded or is it just the world we live in today where people want/expect instant gratification?

Who are we kidding? How often does he actually play these days anyhow.

I'm all for loyalty, however, i'm pretty sure we've showed him his fair share given the injuries since as long ago as i can remember.

Keeping Brett through loyalty is a $400k a year good will gesture at the expense of success in a time where we are really struggling.

This is the right decision. Rip the bandaid off.

All this talk of Tom T being overrated is laughable. Do people just expect a 19 year old to come out and dominate like they have in the 20's?

It took years of first grade for Snake to become the elite all round fullback he was. His ball playing was essentially non-existant in the early years, his kick returns have never been an asset (Tom already leaves him for dead in this regard).

Are people's memories clouded or is it just the world we live in today where people want/expect instant gratification?

Instant gratification , the new catch cry, because no one has patience any more.

It's like me being howled down on here when I said we are in year 1 of a 5 year plan, no bugger that everyone said we want a Premiership now so just but the players to get us one!!

Agree 100%,Tommy will make a great fullback but he's 19 ( or is he 20 yet) and you just cannot expect a 15 game rookie to compare to a 250 game multi premiership superstar.

But don't worry, in 10 years time you'll be saying " Brett who"......just kidding of course you won't, like Wombat he will be revered forever but sadly the time has come to say farewell as there's just no way we can use $600k a year in cap space for an aging superstar that " might" play 50% of the games if he's lucky.

Not withstanding if the Hamstring issues continue those 50% of the games are at 1/4 pace anyway.

A sad sad day but it had to happen at some point.

I call BS on this rumour. There is no way they will make Snake walk after the handling of the Gift situation, particularly with Zorba running the show

It will be sad to see Brett Stewart go, but if his carreer continues on this current course, Tommy will end up on par with Snake's, if not better.

Im betting it will be the latter.

What? Now I'm confused didn't Penn come out and say he didn't like the way Gifty was treated and wasn't this the start of the downfall of Toovey? Does this mean this decision will be the downfall of Barrett if he has anything to do with it....
Well said, just proves that the Penn's will say anything.

Not overrated, just not quite there yet.

The best way for our One club Superstar to exit is for him to regain his dignity by finding fitness and form. And he will.
Let's not write him off prematurely.

Yes, this should probably be his last year in the NRL, and Brett will probably come to accept this. The hands of time . . . . .
But Snake is the sort of player, the sort of man, with a champion's pride in his on-field performances, to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.
He owes it to his legions of fans, and the club owe it to him to allow him the opportunity to score and/or setup a few more treasurable classics, preferably at FB. Just 3 more to pass ET. His career has been amazing, on par with Bozo's, but hampered by injury and illness, and other adversities.
Nevertheless hope he can strike a deal with Catalans, to do a season with Glen, featuring cigars, cafes, french plonk and their playing days quietly melting into the sunset.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4