• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
tookey said:
Shoe1 said:
Best advice - never enter the New Brighton. I have been going out in Manly since the 80s and have never been in there. Steyne yes, Hotel Manly yes (RIP), Ivanhoe yes, many small bars yes. The NB had a bad rep ever since I can remember, and generally had/has rough bastards hanging out the windows.

The brighton is a girls bar now compared to what it was like in the eighties with the islanders drinking there. A regular stop off for 21 division in the eighties.

Yep it looked like a long bay gaol line up in there to me.

Brookie Brawler said:
Story by Adam Lucius on Sportal:

Stewart in the clear after altercation 11/2/2013 4:37 pm

A police investigation has confirmed the Sea Eagles' in-house finding that full-back Brett Stewart has no case to answer following an incident at a Manly pub.

Stewart was spoken to by police following an altercation with a member of the public at the New Brighton Hotel on January 18, but no further action was taken.

"Police spoke to Brett Stewart but that's as far as it went.

Where's the ARREST???

Dont you just love the media beat up when it comes to Brett -
I have read he was arrested last week but in my calender I didn't realise that Jan 19 was last week.
It seems with Brett that anyone can say what they like about him, he will be arrested and then no evidence can be found.

Wonder if the bloke was man enough to challenge Brett to a beach sprint or beard competition?

This quotes police as saying BS was arrested.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8289137/Manly-star-Brett-Stewart-arrested

Brissie Kid said:
No arrest in this either.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Statement-regarding-Brett-Stewart/68210

Statement regarding Brett Stewart
Monday 11 February 2013 5:11 PM

FROM THE CLUB.......

On the morning of 19 January 2013 Brett Stewart was subjected to verbal harassment by an intoxicated patron at a venue in Manly.

The patron had already been asked to leave the venue earlier that night and re-entered the premises through a side door. The patron was asked to leave a second time.

When Brett Stewart left the venue at a later stage he was asked by Manly Police to attend the police station whilst they investigated the matter. Manly Police then advised Brett that they would review CCTV footage, which could take some time, and suggested Brett go home.

The following day Manly Police contacted Brett to advise him that the statement had been retracted as the footage demonstrated no wrongdoing by Brett.

Brett followed protocol and informed the club immediately after the incident.

The club subsequently conducted an internal inquiry and has similarly cleared Brett of any wrongdoing.

(for those who don't click)

He should sue those papers that published that he got arrested. When I first saw the story it didn't sound like he had been arrested, I assumed it was inaccurate journalism (amazing, I know). Now I see he 'was spoken to by police'. That is massively diferent to being arrested.

So, basically a nothing story, but because it was a Manly player, certain media try to drag the clubs name, and players name down.

Maybe the journos are learning that Manly aren't involved in any drug scandal so they're diverting now. I wonder if any Manly players have been jaywalking lately?
Go the Snake. Here's to a great year for you at Manly.

Be good if there was a fellow Manly fan there to KO the goose and no action be taken than Snake sorting him out and the media hang him by his jewels.

It's no wonder Brett and Glenn won't speak to these gossip page journos

lsz said:
As an aside is being arrested the normal practice?

I would think you get taken in for questioning?

Anyone have clarity over how it does work
Police can't 'take you in for questioning' or take you anywhere else without arresting you.

They can't arrest you simply because the officer at the scene wants to.

Their powers of arrest are limited to certain situations.

In NSW the general powers are set out in Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Act 2002 ('LEPRA'), section 99(3), as follows:

3) A police officer must not arrest a person for the purpose of taking proceedings for an offence against the person unless the police officer suspects on reasonable grounds that it is necessary to arrest the person to achieve one or more of the following purposes:
(a) to ensure the appearance of the person before a court in respect of the offence,
(b) to prevent a repetition or continuation of the offence or the commission of another offence,
(c) to prevent the concealment, loss or destruction of evidence relating to the offence,
(d) to prevent harassment of, or interference with, a person who may be required to give evidence in proceedings in respect of the offence,
(e) to prevent the fabrication of evidence in respect of the offence,
(f) to preserve the safety or welfare of the person.

Our legal system has always recognised that depriving a citizen of their liberty by taking them into custody is a major infringement of their rights, and should only happen when reasonably believed to be necessary, usually for one of the above reasons.

I hope he sues.

fLIP said:
The incident was big enough for an 'arrest'.

Rather than a storm in a teacup you are most likely looking at dropped charges.
Well haven't you been proven the fool for going off early before you know the facts
Well done

I am thinking it is standard procedure in the corso

Arrest first, get em back to the station and then try sort it out

lsz said:
I am thinking it is standard procedure in the corso

Arrest first, get em back to the station and then try sort it out

You don't give the boys and girls in blue enough credit. If they arrested every knob that did something wrong on the Corso then Manly Police Station would fill up quicker than Pamela Andersons mouth.

The poor guy would cop so much crap from dicks when he is out. I would understand if he finally did clock some hero mouthing off.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6