Brookie caged

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe next time you can take some of Vidmar's leftover free sandwiches?

tookey link said:

From my observation the free sangas in the Presidents Lounge get devoured very quickly - my guess there would be none left for Dan to take home

tookey link said:

Anyone who knows me well would know that with "free" stuff there's no leftovers...LOL

Re bits of the ground, I went to the sea side town of Blackpool in the UK for a day trip with the oldies in 1977 the day after Scotland had beaten England 2-1 at football at Wembley.

Many of the Tartan army stopped off in Blackpool en route back to Scotland and the town was chockers with all these mad Scots still celebrating the win big time.

My dad got talking to a few of them outside a pub and one of them proudly displayed a piece of Wembley Stadium turf that he had in a bit of wet sacking that he had souveniered from the pitch claiming it to be from the exact spot that the winning goal had been scored from.

See here from wikipedia re the game -

1977: Wembley pitch invasion
Once again, the 1976-77 British Home Championship came down to the final game between England and Scotland at Wembley on 4 June. Scotland won the game 2-1, making them champions. Like 1967, a pitch invasion by the overjoyed Scottish fans followed, but this time extensive damage ensued: the pitch was ripped up (although it was going to be relaid after the game) and taken back to Scotland in small pieces along with one of the broken crossbars.

Go for it,everyone.Take as much of the ground as you can...then we might get seats on the hill.(Told youse all that I'm not letting this go!):p

larry tate II link said:
Go for it,everyone.Take as much of the ground as you can...then we might get seats on the hill.(Told youse all that I'm not letting this go!):p

Larry, if you stick seats on the hill then it won't be a hill, it will be a stand. :p

Plenty of seats already at Brooky including of course the benches at the front of the Hill
Keep the Hill standing!

ahh vid - let me guess you used to be a terrace man (back in the day..)

Ah Isz - spot on,
Those were the days...

Here's a little bit of history (5 past the gunners Mata and MB?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNboU_PbZMY

I wasn't allowed on the Kop until I was 10 (We had to go in the "boys pen") but still used to clamber over the fence to get on there now and again.

Spent many a happy day or night there over the years growing up...

Must admit I love it when the Travelling Supportahs are giving it large at places like Shark Park, Suncorp and especially Skilled the last couple of seasons - not quite the Kop but still great nevertheless

Vid, that looks like a special atmosphere, with all the comforts of the slave ships that plied the high seas in the late 1700's  :)

Funny you mention the kop - i drew a massive pool fan in secret santa.......after toying with getting him a manu signed picture i got him the history of the kop (not a bad read)

As a massive football it is something i can only dream about (seeing your team play live every week....)

ManlyBacker link said:
Vid, that looks like a special atmosphere, with all the comforts of the slave ships that plied the high seas in the late 1700's  :)
without the intelligence.

lsz link said:
Funny you mention the kop - i drew a massive pool fan in secret santa.......after toying with getting him a manu signed picture i got him the history of the kop (not a bad read)

As a massive football it is something i can only dream about (seeing your team play live every week....)

The better option was chosen there Isz! (Haven't forgotten your kind offer of help and will be in contact in the new year?)

The growing number of people getting to away games to support the boys has been quite remarkable in the last 3 or 4 years and there are many who now travel to Brooky from all over the place.

I know there are a few people on here who haven't quite latched on to the Manly Warringahs Travelling Supportahs initiative as yet which is a shame as there are now many people who ordinarily wouldn't have gotten to games (especially away games) who have now met like minded souls and made firm friends with people that under other circumstances they wouldn't have met and of course get to games.

What is also so special is the number of people travelling as a family with young children.

We're getting good numbers on the supporters bus and meeting up at the local away games with those who make their own way either from the beaches or further afield and of course this site and MWSE help keep people updated on where we meet and where we will be in the ground.

Years ago we had almost non-existent support at the big trips aways like NZ, Brisbane and Melbourne etc and I remember being at Mount Smart by myself 3 years ago but come Easter next year we already have at least 40-50 people booked for the trip plus others doing the finances or organising leave passes to be at what will be a great long weekend.

Melbourne 4 years ago there were 20 of us who travelled to the game and now we have 150 turning up for a function pre-game and there were literally thousands at Skilled to give Matt Chechin a serve in the 2009 season

People like Mark Tramby have been a catalyst in getting the big trips off the ground but it is the many regular fans like you and I and many others that have a love of the game and the Eagles that keep in touch, make plans and catch up at games and the momentum is building.

The numbers that travelled to the UK for the WCC was amazing and I know many of the people who made the trip and they will be friends for life.

I'm of course fortunate in that I live close to Brooky and have the ability to travel with the kids but am constantly amazed at the lengths people go to in order to support the team and know people who get to Brookie on a regular basis from places like Mudgee, The Hunter, The 'Gong, ACT, Dubbo and those that make the annual pilgrimage from QLD.

It's a shame we have no Suncorp game in 2010 as there is massive support in SE QLD and those boys and girls are brilliant in making that trip so fantastic with their support and passion for the club.

That said, it will of course make the Titans game in June the "must do" for any QLD based supporter.

Seeing the Robina Tavern full of Maroon and White and chocker full of Manly fans with banners pinned to the wall and Tooheys "You're on Manly Turf" coasters on every table (It was like the Leagues club on a home game day) is a special memory.

The game only lasts for 80 minutes but the fun to be had, the people I've met supporting our team and the experience of going to the game on a regular basis is something that I love.

I see people post on here being critical of the media ownership of the game but supply and demand of course dictates and I fully understand there are many that would love to get to games but all manner of circumstances conspire against that and they can only set aside time each week to settle down in front of the TV to see the boys play.

We were in Townsville last season at Sizzlers the night before the game (easy and fun for the 4 families with young kids that had travelled) and we met a local proudly wearing a Manly shirt who was there with his wife and young daughter who was revved up big time at being able to get to his only game of the season - he had no idea or knowledge of this site and MWSE so wasn't aware that there were people from out of town going to the game and was so happy that there would be other Eagles fans at the game and ended up travelling with us on the bus from the Mercure Inn.

Sites like this are often the only chance to converse with like minded souls in similar situations and Dan is to be congratulated on his efforts and support of all things Manly.

That said, if there are people reading this who may have the inclination or chance to get to a game either home or away then there will be a warm welcome and many smiling faces to welcome them and there is no reason to be concerned that you'll be by yourself.

As we approach 2010 I'm already getting emails and having chats with Eagles fans who are making plans for the coming season so hope to see and meet a few of the posters on here.

MB - yes, looking back I'm amazed I'm still here to tell the story but also immensley proud to be able to say I used to stand on the Kop as a lad.

Vidmar

PS Don't forget membership of the Football Club is an ideal way to help protect your club's heritage and ensure we have a club to support now and in the future

See here a membership form:
http://www.manlyleagues.com.au/assets/documents/football%20club%20application.pdf

larry tate II link said:
Not really,how many \"stands\" are at the SFS?,the best footy viewing ground in Sydney.

Yep but one of only 2 grounds that has **** all atmoshpere with 20K in it

Seriously, Vidmar is turning into the Kim Beazley of this site.  Should change name from Vidmar to Prolix.  

[img=400x288]http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/cartoons/new/2005-01-20%20Beazley%20prolix%20450.JPG[/img]

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2