Cameron Smith’s stunning call for NRL to return Melbourne’s stripped titles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...k=2a725d0744443dc54800551dd6c03323-1551959412

Cameron Smith has sensationally called for the NRL to consider handing back Melbourne the two titles they had stripped for salary-cap rorts after cheating rivals Cronulla escaped a premiership sanction.

Speaking at the code’s 2019 season launch in Sydney on Thursday night, Smith came out swinging, expressing his dismay at the Sharks retaining their 2016 premiership despite the NRL integrity unit uncovering a salary-cap breach last week.

Melbourne were embroiled in one of Australian sport’s biggest scandals in 2010 when the Storm were found to have cheated the salary cap by an estimated $1.7 million over a five-year period.

Cameron Smith wants the NRL to reassess their stripped titles. MORE NRL NEWS

Former NRL CEO David Gallop threw the book at the Storm, fining the club $1.1 million and stripping Melbourne of their 2007 and 2009 premierships, plus three minor premierships.

The current NRL administration, led by Todd Greenberg, last week issued Cronulla a breach notice proposing a $750,000 fine for systematic salary-cap rorts dating back to the 2013 season.

The NRL alleged the illegal payments did not affect their title-winning 2016 season, allowing the Sharks to keep the premiership they won, ironically by beating Melbourne.

Smith - the most-capped player in NRL history with 384 games - was left devastated by the Storm salary-cap affair and believes there are clear inconsistencies between the sanctions handed out to Cronulla and the Storm.

Smith says Melbourne’s offences were similar to Cronulla’s in 2016. Picture: Stephen Cooper Asked if current NRL boss Greenberg should look to reinstate Melbourne’s stripped premierships, Storm skipper Smith was unequivocal.

“Absolutely,” he said.

“They have a lot on their plate at the moment (with a spate of off-field scandals) and I don’t want to take away from some of the things that have happened over the past six months.

“But if the NRL can have a look back and go over what happened at the Storm over those years, they may find there is a different outcome.”

Sharks CEO Barry Russell quit on Tuesday after self-reporting Cronulla’s salary-cap irregularities.

Melbourne had their 2007 and 2009 titles stripped. While Smith did not dispute the Storm were guilty of serious salary-cap breaches, he says other offenders in recent years, such as Cronulla and Parramatta, did not receive such heavy-handed penalties.

“We were made to play an entire season without points,” Smith said.

“We had premierships taken off us - this (the Sharks salary-cap scandal) is almost like a similar crime with a completely different punishment.

“It (the Storm and Cronulla breaches) are reasonably similar.

“A lot of people got caught up in the overall amount we were over the cap. The NRL did a strategic job of using that entire amount ($1.7 million).

NRL FANS SURVEY: Take our short survey to make your voice heard on the great game of rugby league.

“The most we were over in one season was $500,000.

“If you look over the course of time since 2010 until now, there’s a handful of clubs who have been over the cap by similar amounts and they haven’t been made to sit out a season or not play for points.

“They have been deducted four points and two points.

“For me the main differences I have seen with the new administration and that is Todd (Greenberg) being involved, he has taken the correct amount of time to go through all the information gathered and come to his decision, rather than seeing a club breach the salary cap and just wielding the axe.

“What happened to us was fairly harsh, we haven’t seen anything like it since.”

Last edited:
Does he want to hand back the 40-0 defeat melb suffered around that time, or does that still stand?
Don't worry... unfortunately for him there will always be this post-match picture:
images

Maybe he would've been far better off calling for Cronulla's premiership be taken off them.
As for getting the titles back he can get stuffed.
They should've been kicked out permanently and completely.
And I would've gaoled Smith...

It would not surprise me in the least if greenturd and Beatnik have discussed this in length with Smith, probably with a favourable ear.
I have no doubt those clowns would be on board and very willing to oblige...

Cam is also telling porkies.

Their total breach was actually over 3 million dollars in total, including being above $1 million over the cap in 2010 alone.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...81eacae79?sv=f30897702cff000739c91a7769a9a7b8
Admittedly I am bias, but I would ban him for bringing the game into disrepute for his comments. I mean, he is there to launch the season and he wants to carry on like this - it would not have been hard for him to say “look, it’s time we focus on the season ahead” but no. So BAN HIM!

Funnily this is the first time ive seen anyone senior from melbourne say they cheated. When he states the silmilariries between what cronulla and melbourne did he is actually admitting the storm are cheating sons of a wharthog

This does make cronullas win even better knowing its sitting like a 5 old day hotdog in melbourne

Well... while sCam is seriously deluded and supping from the revisionist history chalice; hopefully it works in reverse and the pressure means Cronulla loses theirs.

I doubt either scenario will come to fruition.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8