Cap issues at Manly?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
By a very small ratio compared to what the NRL are raking in .

The allocation to the Clubs needs to increase dramatically, as most are running at a loss :confused:

Wonder when the new NRL CEO gets headhunted?
They are prObably not Done Doing the reasearch for a Great ReliablE Enigmatic boss to Nicely run the Burdening job of the nrl. Everyone Really needs to be patient, Gettit?

*read every capital

Last edited:
People would be surprised at the actual size of Manly's cap, with all the "long Serving Player Allowances", the bolster we got for increasing membership / sponsorships, plus potential 3rd party agreements.

We've also let 16 players go so far. Some including Williams, Foran, Ballin, Sao, Lui, Horo & others who aren't exactly fringe players.

The caps also gone up.

As I stated elsewhere guys, I'd be surprised given the players we've let go if there still isn't quite a fair war-chest to spend on others.

How? Their contracts were up in 2015 and were already told that they would not be required further.
The point that was being made originally was that we have lost a lot of players which offsets the money we are spending on new players, so whether we knew in advance that players were off contract or not doesn't really matter.

The money is freed up either via players off contract, or those asked to look elsewhere and released prior to their contract being up. If anything we get more space freed up from the players who are off contract as we do not need to contibute to their new deal at another club.

Like I clarified, that money was free and known back in October 2014 as the contracts were in there final year.
What difference does it make when it was known? As soon as those contracts are up, it frees up space in the cap. That money can be spent on new recruits.

Maybe it's not us? Jelly still looking to buy

MANLY NOT FINISHED YET

Manly CEO Joe Kelly said the club’s roster will continue to change as they attempt to field the most competitive team possible.

Having moved on veteran rake Matt Ballin and brought in the likes of Marty Taupau, Tim Moltzen and Nate Myles, the Sea Eagles are a vastly new-look side.

While plenty of change has already taken place at the club including a new coach and support staff, Kelly said he can’t guarantee they are finished with their recruitment drive for 2016.

“Recruitment’s a process that’s always ongoing so you never say never when it comes to that,” Kelly told foxsports.com.au.

“That’ll be continuing to evolve under the coaching staff and with the guidance of Bob Fulton as well.

“If you look at any professional football club across the globe there’s always a need to freshen things up every year and bring some new faces in and boost the competition.”

For Tapau we released Ballin JSL and Gutho. Beyond him we've released or not resigned a lot more. Won't be us...

I don't want to be one of those clubs that pays players salaries to play for another club.
I would rather not sign a big name then have multiple players on the books at other clubs. It weakens the playing roster.
Look at all the trouble WT and Eels have gotten into

People would be surprised at the actual size of Manly's cap, with all the "long Serving Player Allowances", the bolster we got for increasing membership / sponsorships, plus potential 3rd party agreements.

Not overlly well versed in the salary cap so could someone explain what is meant by the 'long serving players allowances' and 'bolster for increasing membership' please?

When you look at the list of players that we've let go it's not that surprising that we've been able to afford a few signings. If the club that this article was referring to is us, it is probably just the reporter flinging a bit of mud and hoping it will stick.

The story also says bought up big the last couple months. Our shopping list from the past few months is Tapau and who - Moltzen? The others were signed during the last season...

We've also let 16 players go so far. Some including Williams, Foran, Ballin, Sao, Lui, Horo & others who aren't exactly fringe players.

The caps also gone up.

As I stated elsewhere guys, I'd be surprised given the players we've let go if there still isn't quite a fair war-chest to spend on others.

Ryan I think the issue is the players ala Matty B or Gutho who were under contract and might still be chewing up space in our cap. From memory the implication with Matty B was that the tigers "got a good deal". I would think this means we are still paying for him in some way

If it's anyone, I reckon it's the Eels. If you look at the Players Movements thread it seems like every third player is wearing their new Blue and Gold outfits.
That surprised me because they had salary cap issues last year, before they signed Foran and both his faces.

What difference does it make when it was known? As soon as those contracts are up, it frees up space in the cap. That money can be spent on new recruits.
Budgeting - it was a known figure, so Manly had time to spend it on players.

Those players who were 'tapped' may or may not leave, so it stifles our ability to commit to a new contract.

Okay so here's a bit of fun to see if we are over the cap or not. I've just guessed the Top 25 and given that the salary cap in 2016 is $6.55 mill, I've also guessed what each is being paid (or what I'd pay them).
Brown Lewis - 250
Buhrer Jamie - 250
Burgess Luke - 200
Cherry-Evans Daly - 1000 (huge endorsements probably $300k not included in the cap)
Green Nathan - 200
Hiku Peta - 300
John Isaac - 250
Knight Liam - 150
Koroisau Apisai - 250
Lawrence Brenton - 200
Leary Blake - 180
Lussick Darcy - 300
Lyon Jamie - 550
Matai Steve - 450
Mateo Feleti - 250
Myles Nate - 450
Parcell Matt - 200
Starling Josh - 200
Stewart Brett - 600
Symonds Tom - 200
Taufua Jorge - 250
Taupau Martin - 500
Trbojevic Jake - 250
Trbojevic Tom - 200
Walker Dylan - 500

There's at least 300k in 'Long service allowances' and with 5 players in excess of 5 years I think we qualify for the max. Add to that 3rd party agreements ($600k) and motor vehicle allowance ($100k), plus unlimited corporate sponsor allowance (outside of the club - say another $1000k for Manly) and you are talking somewhere around $8.55mill. Maybe I am wrong but that's my take on it (and certainly the Roosters. So, from my rough calculations it puts us at $8.13 mill with plenty of space. Feel free to play with it and completely trash my thoughts.

Not overlly well versed in the salary cap so could someone explain what is meant by the 'long serving players allowances' and 'bolster for increasing membership' please?
SALARY CAP BREAKDOWN
NRL PAYMENTS FOR THE TOP 25
$6.1 million - Basic payments for the Top 25 players including Sponsor Servicing Allowance ($200k) which is automatically given to all clubs to compensate players for club sponsorship activities including appearances and endorsements.

Also included is a Long Serving Player Allowance ($300K) per Club for eligible players who have played more than six continuous years of grade football with that club including Holden Cup and NSW Cup.

+ $243,750 per team - Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards players' Retirement Account Contribution.

+ $100,000 per team - Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards their administration funding.

*Payments under the actual salary cap total $6.30 million paid directly by clubs across the Top 25 players. The additional $343,750 paid into the RLPA Retirement and Administration Fund Contribution is not defined as a salary cap payment.

What players can earn outside the salary cap:

$600,000 - Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player's intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 25 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Unlimited - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved.

Payments for players outside Top 25
$460,000 - Cap for all players outside of the top 25 who compete in the Telstra Premiership.

NRL PAYMENTS FOR THE TOP 25
$6.1 million - Basic payments for the Top 25 players including Sponsor Servicing Allowance ($200k) which is automatically given to all clubs to compensate players for club sponsorship activities including appearances and endorsements.

Also included is a Long Serving Player Allowance ($300K) per Club for eligible players who have played more than six continuous years of grade football with that club including Holden Cup and NSW Cup.

+ $243,750 per team - Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards players' Retirement Account Contribution.

+ $100,000 per team - Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards their administration funding.

*Payments under the actual salary cap total $6.30 million paid directly by clubs across the Top 25 players. The additional $343,750 paid into the RLPA Retirement and Administration Fund Contribution is not defined as a salary cap payment.

What players can earn outside the salary cap:

$600,000 - Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player's intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 25 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Unlimited - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

How many players in our team fit the criteria of the bold paragraph. Snake, Matai, Ballin, Buhrer, DCE, Lyon. Anyone else?

Or have I interpreted it wrong and it's 300k for only player per team?

So with all the talk with Manly keeping funds aside, maybe the club that needs to sort things out before Jan is Souths? Hence trying to shed Walker? They have bought up big with 1.5 DCE's...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8