Daly signed til 2015!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We would have to be one of the few clubs that would be happy just to keep their roster and not buy new players.

The Who said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

According to the Fox Sports article about his re-signing, he will be "on a four-year package understood to be worth around $2 million".

Hope that leaves room for the other players to re-sign.

Heavily backended

I'm as delighted as anyone. But, if it is backended and the $2-M figure is correct, then the final year he'd be on would be $1-M or so. Wow, that's huge money.

A further question to all those who criticised the club for not paying DCE enough: will you be calling on DCE to repay the money if, God forbid, he gets injured and unable to fulfil his on-field duties or, heaven forbid, he suffers a form slump and is not able to play up to first grade standard?

It seems to me that people sympathise with players, not clubs. I congratulate the club for getting this deal sorted.

If he hit a form slump I'd still back him and be proud he signed with us. If he got injured it's just luck and if thats the way the cookie crumbles then so be it, I'd still be proud of both the club and Daly.

Every signing is a risk no matter how you look at it. What makes this so important is that we are building our future around Daly and hopefully Foran.

danny-boy said:
The Who said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

According to the Fox Sports article about his re-signing, he will be "on a four-year package understood to be worth around $2 million".

Hope that leaves room for the other players to re-sign.

Heavily backended

I'm as delighted as anyone. But, if it is backended and the $2-M figure is correct, then the final year he'd be on would be $1-M or so. Wow, that's huge money.

A further question to all those who criticised the club for not paying DCE enough: will you be calling on DCE to repay the money if, God forbid, he gets injured and unable to fulfil his on-field duties or, heaven forbid, he suffers a form slump and is not able to play up to first grade standard?

It seems to me that people sympathise with players, not clubs. I congratulate the club for getting this deal sorted.

If he hit a form slump I'd still back him and be proud he signed with us. If he got injured it's just luck and if thats the way the cookie crumbles then so be it, I'd still be proud of both the club and Daly.

Every signing is a risk no matter how you look at it. What makes this so important is that we are building our future around Daly and hopefully Foran.

I agree. What I was trying to point out was that the club was painted as the bad guys in this saga, and that it was somehow duding DCE by not paying him what he was worth, yet are players expected to repay their salaries if they are injured or in a form slump?

I have heard a rumor that the bulldogs have signed DCE for 2016. Can anyone confirm this??

Joking of course :)

Dan79 said:
I have heard a rumor that the bulldogs have signed DCE for 2016. Can anyone confirm this??

I've heard Parra are interested after he completes his 'mission' to win us five premierships in a row!

The Who said:
Dan79 said:

I've heard Parra are interested after he completes his 'mission' to win us five premierships in a row!
Parra would be happy to win 5 games in a row. :)

Cherrific news. Well done to daly for stating and the club signing him up. Exciting times ahead.

One more thing...
If DCE is on 2mill over 4 years it will go to show how irrelevant it is for fans to speculate on how the cap is being spent (the usual added up of assumed worth of players)

Due to his contract situation we all know there will be some back loading in there...meaning the true cap picture is even more murky

I'm going to get a new jersey now. With a big 7 on the back. The broncs,dogs and everyone else who wanted cherry can FARK ORFSKI

Great news! High 5 to everyone involved, my Friday afternoon beers are going to taste much better now.

Did us signing DCE so cheaply come back to haunt Manly?.
Sure we got a good deal on the initial contract, but if incentives were put into that contract, there is no way it would have been anywhere near the amount talked about today, more like around $300,000, similar to something Soward at the Dragons is getting.
On an incentive based upgrade to $300,000, DCE would have been delirious, his manager happy, and in time his worth would have increased accordingly, if he continued performing,so now we have a situation where his worth has been inflated by all this newspaper talk.
We had no choice but to resign him, but his manager spruiking him around and seeking an early release didn't help, neither did Parra paying well over the top for Sandow.

Well done to the club for securing this talent long term. Perry must get the credit.

The only down-side is that the blackmail tactics of the cowboy 'player manager' appear to have achieve the desired result. The IC - and especially the player union - need to implement some proper regulation of the player manager industry pronto.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Well done to the club for securing this talent long term. Perry must get the credit.

The only down-side is that the blackmail tactics of the cowboy 'player manager' appear to have achieve the desired result. The IC - and especially the player union - need to implement some proper regulation of the player manager industry pronto.

Yes. Agree totally about player-manager scavengers.
With the 'reported' money that DCE will earn, every half decent player from every club will be after upgrades so we will not be the only club to feel the heat. Hopefully we can expect to pay slightly less because players want to stay with a successful club. Clubs like Parra, Easts and the Titans already have to pay overs because they cop plenty of hidings.

Manly promise was key to Cherry-Evans deal

A commitment by Manly to retain the core of last year's NRL grand final-winning side was the deciding factor in Daly Cherry-Evans staying with the club.

The 23-year-old on Friday put pen to paper on a lucrative upgrade to his current deal, believed to be worth in the region of $500,000 per season.

The new agreement puts him on par with the likes of Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater and Greg Inglis as one of the top earners in the game, and represents an exponential rise from his current $85,000-a-year deal.

"He's doing the business on the field and the new contract reflects that," Cherry-Evans' manager Gavin Orr told AAP.

Orr requested an official release for his client from the final year of his contract last week, but denied he was playing hard ball to get the club to agree to his demands.

"That wasn't the case at all. I just wanted to see what was out there and wanted to ensure Daly got a deal that represented his market value," Orr said.

"He wanted to stay at Manly and wanted to know that others will too.

"He was given some undertakings by the club that they were trying to keep players and, once we sat down with the board and worked things out, he was happy to show his commitment to them."

Cherry-Evans enjoyed one of the finest rookie campaigns in many years in 2011, helping the Sea Eagles to a second premiership in four seasons and also making his Test debut for Australia on the Four Nations tour.

He's been widely tipped to be a member of the Queensland State of Origin team this year, filling the utility bench role.

"Manly gave me my start in the NRL and I love it here," Cherry-Evans said.

"I get the opportunity to play with so many committed, talented players and its great to know I'll be here for years to come."

Despite his whirlwind start to life in the NRL, Manly coach Geoff Toovey believes the club have yet to see the best of Cherry-Evans.

"He's a superstar of the future and with the quality players he has around him, we can continue our winning formula," Toovey said.

http://www.nrl.com/manly-promise-was-key-to-cherry-evans-deal/tabid/10874/newsid/66479/default.aspx

Fantastic news, it's made my day.....in fact I think it's made all Manly fans' day! Thanks to all involved. Onya Daly, Go Manly!

Word out of News Ltd HQ is that Phil and Dean are leaving a tell-tale trail of egg yoke and egg white right up and down Holt Street, Surry Hills, as it slowly drips of their ugly scones.

What will Phean Rotchie write about Manly now? Manly in the 'black and DCE re-signed.

With ol' mate 'Deep Throat' Peters sliding even further into irrelevancy.

...nyuk, nyuk...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8