DCE 2 more years and coaching gig

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes I understand what DCE adds to the team and club right now, and even over the next 2 years but offering an extension 2 years out at his age and on his money makes no sense at all to me. One of young halves will be FG ready well before a 2 year extension expires and unless there are aq LOT of clauses in our favour in any contract offered to DCE I just can't see the benefits outweighing the multitude of possible downsides.
I have no idea if the Fins want him or if he wants to go there, I doubt either one, so why are we offering this? If he or his manager has kick-started this then we should clear the way for him to leave after next season. I have very strong doubts about his playing value to the team on such big money beyond next year and we could do a hell of a lot in '23 with an extra $1.2M.

With the young side we have and kids coming through they need an experienced hand to guide them and keep them calm
I'm with you in theory, Snoz1976, but Cherry isn't exactly known for being a clam, steady hand. He's just not that type of player.

That's not to say he wouldn't make an excellent coach, because he might. He's been coached by some of the best. And Trent Barrett. So he's probably picked up a thing or two.

But even though I like the idea of being loyal to players who have been loyal to you, I still think it's in the club's best interests not to rush into anything.

So what is a reasonable price for Chez's extension? Its all speculation about him signing for the same money. My bet is it would have to be a reduced contract and at 1 mil a season for our and QLD Captain in this current climate is a good signing even if he is to be 36 by the end of it. Same people saying get rid of Chez are saying go and buy Brandon Smith, how do we know Smith won't do back to back ACL tears? We don't! The whole "we don't know if he will be any good in 2 years" is a backward argument! The same goes for any signing. You have to be proactive in recruitment and this is a good move!
It's highly unlikely we will extend Taupau, Foz and Walker so we will have enough money to keep all our young guns and buy any future players we need! Do we really wanna throw Chez out too? Me thinks not!

So what is a reasonable price for Chez's extension? Its all speculation about him signing for the same money. My bet is it would have to be a reduced contract and at 1 mil a season for our and QLD Captain in this current climate is a good signing even if he is to be 36 by the end of it. Same people saying get rid of Chez are saying go and buy Brandon Smith, how do we know Smith won't do back to back ACL tears? We don't! The whole "we don't know if he will be any good in 2 years" is a backward argument! The same goes for any signing. You have to be proactive in recruitment and this is a good move!
It's highly unlikely we will extend Taupau, Foz and Walker so we will have enough money to keep all our young guns and buy any future players we need! Do we really wanna throw Chez out too? Me thinks not!
Des is a fan of walker and has molded him into a good lock in todays vlandys ball competition

I suspect that Monnas might be the coaching succession plan,
Doesn't have the hair for it! It'll be Chez

hasler--evans-11100218.jpg

.... i rest my case!

A 1 million a year extension would be crazy! He isn't a million dollar player now.. he won't be in two years time either. I really don't get it at all. If we win a comp it won't be on his back.. it will be on turbos. I think this is a mistake.. way to early for such talk

My thoughts also Scorpio, Chez must be thinking all his Christmases have come at once. His doesn't even need a manager for this, with Manly again bending over backwards to accommodate him. Would be a good gesture by DCE to not ask for more than what he's already on, but then again Chez as a penchant for $'s...
Chez said last year when it came up about extentions that he understands it wouldn't be at his current contract

A 1 million a year extension would be crazy! He isn't a million dollar player now.. he won't be in two years time either. I really don't get it at all. If we win a comp it won't be on his back.. it will be on turbos. I think this is a mistake.. way to early for such talk
Leilua and Papalii are asking for 700k. Lodge on more than that. Ben Hunt 1 mil. Townsend nearly 700k.
Chez is worth more than them. You are worth what someone is willing to pay.
Only time will tell I guess.

Now! At his age , how can it be determined what his worth will be 2 years down the track? Impossible, so it is therefore absurd to do it. It is not the same as taking the risk on ANY player as you mentioned because of his age. I honestly don't think it is really going to happen...the club cannot possibly be that irresponsible.
So every club should just sign players to 1 or 2 year contracts? Cos after all we don't know what form they'll be in or what injuries they'll have in the future.
The he will be too old argument is flawed in so many ways!
We probably shouldn't sign Turbo up long term either, after all he has dodgy hammies so 1 year at a time for him too. I'm glad some people on here aren't in control of our cap management.

So every club should just sign players to 1 or 2 year contracts? Cos after all we don't know what form they'll be in or what injuries they'll have in the future.
We probably shouldn't sign Turbo up long term either, after all he has dodgy hammies so 1 year at a time for him too. I'm glad some people on here aren't in control of our cap management.
You didn't address any of my points mate. This is a VERY specific player and circumstance and you are generalising because you probably can't convincingly justify it. I'm happy to agree to disagree on extending him 2 years out, and I really don't think the club will unless it is for 500k per. That plus a coaching gig should be plenty after he has made over $10M from us.

Leilua and Papalii are asking for 700k. Lodge on more than that. Ben Hunt 1 mil. Townsend nearly 700k.
Chez is worth more than them. You are worth what someone is willing to pay.
Only time will tell I guess.
Well yes, that is stupid money for Luciano, Papali'i on the other hand is worth every cent. I doubt Luciano will get what his asking for but. The only difference is these two players are entering the prime of their careers over the next few years and are negotiating from a year onwards not two!! Hunt and Lodge are some fine examples as to why clubs shouldn't rush and throw dollars at players

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I usually find I agree with most of your points and opinions than most on here BR.. but definitely not this one. Your saying your glad some people aren't in control of our cap but at the same time willing to throw a mil at a player 2 years away for another 2 years who will then be 34 going on 36!? To me, that is the definition of bad cap management. There are way too many variables

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8