Delmege says name your price

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As half?  I don't think so Dan.  He could have covered for King as well I suppose.  Christ, just put Jamie on the field alone to cover for everybody. 

DSM5 link said:
I do recall that sweet moment at Telsta with the game gone, seconds ticking down, on our thirty metre line, Monas chipped over the line, regathered and passed to Bell (I think) and we won on the bell.  Sublime pleasure as we all went crazy with delight.  A Monas moment to remember forever.  Always good to beat those scumDogs.  He tried hard for us and had some passion.   

Awesome game that one.

ahhhhhhh dude Lyon covered and did most of the work in Half when Orford was injured and it was clear Haldin or whatever his name is wasnt up to it.

Lyon and Haldin could have easily covered again in the front part of last year.

DSM5 link said:
I do recall that sweet moment at Telsta with the game gone, seconds ticking down, on our thirty metre line, Monas chipped over the line, regathered and passed to Bell (I think) and we won on the bell.  Sublime pleasure as we all went crazy with delight.  A Monas moment to remember forever. 
That is one moment that certain posters would like to forget happened. Or the time he had a finger at right angles, pushed it back and a little bit of tape and he missed all of one minute before going back into battle.

As for Jamie Lyon, I can hear Vid singing now: "No 1 is Jamie Lyon, and no 2 is Jamie Lyon" :) And with Monas gone it could well be very appropriate.

Maybe the boardroom winner could shout the bar like Singo after the Golden Slipper and it will all be good.

Sure Dan, just keep that thought.  The fact is that Monas did.  Coulda, shoulda, but didn't.  

Yes but with or without him the result likely would have been the same, if not better come the end of the year!

Monas accomplishments or not, the retention committee didnt want him, do you honestly think Delmege who has no football acumen should have waltzed in and over ruled them all?

if the club knew that was going to happen, do you honestly think they would have agreed to his dollars over the other parties?

Look Dan, I don't know the answers to all your questions.  I honestly wish I did.  'Likely' is a strange word.  Is it the same as 'surely'?  I think Delmege knows about as much about football as I do.  I'm opinionated, yeah really, and if I was the owner I'd certainly want my four millions worth.  I'd probably personally sign Carney tomorrow too.  Nobody resigned over Max's involvement at that time and it sold many papers.  My guess is that everyone saw that he was the guy who signed the cheques  and so were OK with it all.  Everyone grinned and bared it, and got on with getting us to the GF.  And it wasn't Monas who lost it for us that year, it was a collective team effort.  Here's a question for you.  Do you think Zorb should get the boot?     

Speaking of Monas in 07, that effort he produced in the GF Qualifier against the Cows was simply outstanding and went a long way towards setting us up for making the GF, as a lot of his season did

DSM5 link said:
Look Dan, I don't know the answers to all your questions.  I honestly wish I did.  'Likely' is a strange word.  Is it the same as 'surely'?  I think Delmege knows about as much about football as I do.  I'm opinionated, yeah really, and if I was the owner I'd certainly want my four millions worth.  I'd probably personally sign Carney tomorrow too.  Nobody resigned over Max's involvement at that time and it sold many papers.  My guess is that everyone saw that he was the guy who signed the cheques  and so were OK with it all.  Everyone grinned and bared it, and got on with getting us to the GF.  And it wasn't Monas who lost it for us that year, it was a collective team effort.  Here's a question for you.  Do you think Zorb should get the boot?      

I do think Zorba should get the boot, not just for his comments, but it is no secret he and I have never seen eye to eye

This whole argument has been deflected by the Monas thing. What I am arguing is on the principle of the role of the sponsor (and that is what Max was at the time). He puts up money and provides support.

The coach, CEO and retention committee decide who is signed. In this case Max got involved in something that was not his!!  Phillip Dean is on record at the time as being in contempt with Max's involvement. I know for sure that others were silently seething at his interference. Max similarly backed Hoppa at a time when the club was forced to distance themselves from him. Obviously Max is loyal, which is a good quality, but sometimes cold hard decisions are needed in running a football club.

My point all along in this thread (which is mine - not following any particular Messiah) is that just because you own a Multi-million business and have a lot of cash, doesn't mean you know how to run the inside of a football club, especially when you get personal about a few rockets that have been thrown your way!!! That is the principle. I hope they all get it together and that it blows over but I am not going to summarily sanctify Max and absolve him from all blame because he bailed out the club 7 years ago.

School must be out, welcome to the debate Canteen.  I too think Hoppa was poorly treated by the club.  OK he got suspended for a pussy elbow, but we shouldn't have torn up his contract.  Scrambling to the top of the moral mountain is particularly unedifying, particularly in this hard  game.  He would have been very useful in 07.  By the way, the sponsor happens to be the owner.  Slightly different.  And he didn't just 'bail' out the club, he saved it from extinction.  Don't be disingenuous.   

Was he the owner at that time or just the sponsor? I am not certain of the time in which the change of status took place. No attempt to be ingenuous.

Obviously your view is then that Max can do whatever he likes, whenever he like, however he likes. In that case, let's dispense with Crusher, the retention committee and Zorba for that matter and allow Max to run the place (It has been seriously suggested by some!!)

Or is Max's expertise in Property and maybe the admin of the club should be left to Sports administrators and those that know something about footy. Max is on the board with Penns and his role is to set policy, protect the ethos and ensure the financial stability of the club. The CEO, upon direction from the board, is the one charged with the day to day running of the club and so each should stick to his role.

I love your metaphor of 'scrambling to the top of the moral mountain'!!!

Obviously the board appoints the CEO and that is what started all this debate - that the board chose not to reappoint the current one. It is not a Penn v Delmege issue but why the heck are we not choosing to extend Mayer's term?

By 'we' I guess you mean the board.  Why are they not extending Mayers contract?  Got me there, I don't know.  What I do know is that CEOs come and go.  Nobody is irreplaceable.  I once thought I was, asked for a ****e load more money, and got the arse very quickly.  Taught me to be humble.  Maybe this is the problem. 

Fair dinkum.  "Monnasgate"?, "Hoppasgate"?  You myopic fools are a joke. With your bitter little clique, you're making the MSE site look like its full of Rhodes scholars.

When Elton John pumped millions into Watford making them profitable and competitive, do you think one dumb pommy Watfordite would have screamed "Taupingate" if Elton put his songwriter in as a gate attendant - or signed him to a footy contract?  And as for whispering allusions to their secret knowledge of the secret affairs of Bernie Taupin, which they can't divulge??? lol.

The golden rule:  He who owns the gold makes the rules.

Rule number 2.  He who saved (and continues to save) the club deserves appropriate respect - or at least not unprompted outright public attacks on his name from within.

Rule number 3: Board members ALWAYS give public support to their GM until dumped - unless they want to destabliise the club.

Strewth.  I'm as big fan of Meyer's as anyone but having a hissie fit about his dumping, like pre-pubescent bitching teenage girls, does no-one any good.

Wake up and smell the roses guys.

Too bad Zorba didn't consider the big picture before he jammed his size 10's firmly in his big and allegedly nepotistic mouth.

monasgate was the term given by the media, it gives us a point of reference rather than wording the whole thing out, hoppasgate, I have never heard the term, I think he was a victim of his own intensity and passion.

Delmege does not own the gold he owns a slice of the pie, the same amount as the Penn's

If Elton John trudged into the club and made player selections I am sure the very passionate supporters as the English supporters are, would not have been real happy.

You've made clear, Dan, where your allegiances lie. 

How did you convert "owns the gold" into "owns the club"?

Are you now alleging Delmege made player selections? Where is your evidence?

Were you not here when Mo
Rex link said:
You've made clear, Dan, where your allegiances lie. 

How did you convert \"owns the gold\" into \"owns the club\"?

Are you now alleging Delmege made player selections? Where is your evidence?

Were you not around when Monas was after a new contract and didnt get one until the very last minute?

We do actually have factual evidence of that, and it was published in many places.

Dont get me wrong, I am thankful for max, saving the club with his dollars, I just think that in this situation he is coming of worse in this situation at least in the press and the various grumbles I have heard.

If all the answers come out and delmege is in the right seat, then i am happy to make my apologies and admit I am wrong, but without the answers, I can only go on the information i have.

I havent sided anywhere, apart from with people wanting actual answers for the actions that were taken by the board.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4