DES WHO?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It’s an opinion , as is yours , that’s what Silvertails is all about.

Ungrateful & repugnant , is a little over the top.

But thank you for the insult , I’m sure it made you happy
Mate didn't intend to insult you, and I apologise that it came off that way. Was not a personal comment but a general one for us fans as a mob, who seem so quick to forget. I just get a little cut when I perceive others to be showing disrespect to a guy like Des. My reply to you was actually only in reference to our differing opinions on 2019.
Love your work bud, go Manly

So…ummm…you agreed with Mutley’s post outlining some of the challenges Hasler faced in dealing with Penn, but are somehow intimating that Hasler was leaking stories to the media?

Interesting dichotomy. Or if you’re right on the latter, maybe a paradox.
My point is, which is better for MANLY?
Whatever means get us to now can't be changed, we can however see what we see.
Maybe leaks still happen they don't get printed now.

Won’t bag Des however it was definitely time for change which has been a breath of fresh air. I have supported Manly through the good and the bad for almost 50 years and it’s been a long time since the club have engaged so positively with the community and supporter base. The change in such a short space of time is incredible. We were all indirectly victims of the siege mentality, thank god it’s dead and buried.

Won’t bag Des however it was definitely time for change which has been a breath of fresh air. I have supported Manly through the good and the bad for almost 50 years and it’s been a long time since the club have engaged so positively with the community and supporter base. The change in such a short space of time is incredible. We were all indirectly victims of the siege mentality, thank god it’s dead and buried.
Exactly.

Always living away from the area I’ve only ever been “ engaged “ since the digital age / membership, otherwise I attended maybe one home game a year, knew no one , just stood on the hill and cheered.

So I’ve probably been engaged for about 25 years.

I’ve NEVER seen it like this.

To me it’s not all coaching , it’s coming from the top , down through management, into the staff , into the players and the winners , well that’s US!

Would never have happened under Des.

Now that’s not bagging him , but engagement was never a strong point for him.

I’ll give you a great example , World Club Challenge tour 1 ( 2009) , no you can’t have a function with the players , no you can’t have any staff attending any of your events. Begrudgingly ( only as the group stayed in the same hotel ) they let the group on for the post match celebrations , not invited in , it just happened.

World Club Challege tour 2 ( 2012), how about we send the Captain , the Coach , the assistant coach and the head trainer to your hotel to welcome the group to Leeds. Oh , and you want to attend a training session , how many then?? And , how about we send the group to the same ESL game as the players , and sit you all together. And post match , yep we wouldn’t have this without you guys.

The difference , second time , no Des.

Whilst I appreciate the secretive nature of training and game plans , every other NRL club I’ve worked with ( in my travel days ) the coach is fully on board with sponsor & fan engagement, Des hated it.

So yes , a huge huge difference this year.

Pretty cheap shot, the man won us 2 premierships as coach, took us to 4 grand finals, and in 2021 we were in a preliminary final. The wheels fell off last year, but not all his doing.

So…ummm…you agreed with Mutley’s post outlining some of the challenges Hasler faced in dealing with Penn, but are somehow intimating that Hasler was leaking stories to the media?

Interesting dichotomy. Or if you’re right on the latter, maybe a paradox.
Des wasn’t the only leaker at the club.

2019 was certainly not garbage, and there were some positive signs mid last year...

Manly have won 8 premierships in their entire history. Des has been involved with half of these - and it would be fair to say that the last 2 were single handedly created off the back of Des. Bozo had a superstar line-up in the 90s, but Des created a brutal and uncompromising dynasty, a team of workers that were feared across the board for a decade.

Shame on anyone trying to stick the boot in. Ungrateful and repugnant.

What have we achieved? The Dogs were a disgrace today.
You don't think we had something to do with them being so bad Pete?

Strewth,there’s a lot of BS to unpack in that statement.Des hasnt been at the Dogs since September 2017,so he has nothing to do with anything they produce on and off the field now.The cap issues they had are well and truly gone.As for the Seibold praise,this is nothing against him but he’s only beat the very team you just said are still reeling from the Des years
If you go on the kennel, all they talk about is how Hasler fckd up their club and to a point I agree largely due to his penchant for back ended contracts, I also believe it was the culmination of the back ended contracts he engineered at Manly that played a role in him leaving at the end of 2011, he achieved great success and reversed our fortunes amazingly quickly after the Northern Eagles fiasco so much praise should be heaped on him but sadly his second Manly coming was simply awful and it saddens me that as good as he had been he couldn't accept what everyone else could see, it was an undignified exit and I agree he deserved better but it was his own inflexible actions that led to his demise unfortunately

I think the Dessie Fan Boys who are up in arms over some of the comments must have blinkers on.

I’ve not said anything different to what I’ve been saying for years.

1) I respect his days and records as a player.

2) I respect his efforts as coach until Grand Final day 2011.

3) I lost respect for the man when just a day after the 2011 GF, he left and tried to destroy the club on the way out , I said I would never forgive him and I never have.

4) I was very much against him coming back , but I said I’d support him as the coach but would still never forgive him for what he did.

5) and I wasn’t at all surprised when his tenure ended the same way as it did with the Bulldogs.

So respect the past ( yes ) but he really ****ed it up in his second stint , clouded in one year by a once in a lifetime season by Turbo, otherwise his tenure here the last 3 years was pretty average ( not woeful just average ).

Most ( including me ) just think he’s past it, his method may have worked a decade ago but just doesn’t cut the mustard in the modern era.

And lastly compare the pair

The best and most informative off season I can remember.

The team obviously very very happy.

From the 3 games I’ve seen the players seem to be playing a more natural “ play as you see in front of you “ game , a total change from the past, NONE of this would have happened with the old coach.

And yes as has been said above “ no leaks “.

So let’s respect the past , but let’s also move on.
Well said Mark 👏

Last year Round 4 and 5 we had wins of 25-6 and 31-6 also against some ordinary sides after getting pumped in the opening 2 rounds by some heavyweights, nice start last night but it’s not like we didn’t have similar results at times last year

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
If you go on the kennel, all they talk about is how Hasler fckd up their club and to a point I agree largely due to his penchant for back ended contracts, I also believe it was the culmination of the back ended contracts he engineered at Manly that played a role in him leaving at the end of 2011, he achieved great success and reversed our fortunes amazingly quickly after the Northern Eagles fiasco so much praise should be heaped on him but sadly his second Manly coming was simply awful and it saddens me that as good as he had been he couldn't accept what everyone else could see, it was an undignified exit and I agree he deserved better but it was his own inflexible actions that led to his demise unfortunately
Des is known as the mad professor for a reason. I have no doubt he had a plan to manage the salary cap past his departure from both Manly and the Dogs but once he left us and got sacked at the dogs the plans got thrown out.

This is why it's important to have a consistent long term plan for the squad that comes from above the coach. When clubs try to completely change direction it leads to years of pain before the new plan can start to bear fruit.

Melbourne are the perfect example, consistency of staff leads to consistency of results.

Yes Des had some things out of control. And i didn't like the messy way he exited. I loved Des ans a player and as a coach in his first stint at Manly.

He is a club legend, but the last few years has been frustrating in the ways i outlined in my OP.

Both of those things can be true which was the point of my post.

And while you bring up 2021 let's have another look. Tom had one of the all-time great seasons, and yet we were UNCOMPETITIVE against the top 3 teams when it counted. So yeah, we had some fun beating up some pretty ordinary teams with cricket scores. But if you want to put out things like we were 80 minutes from a GF, while technically true, don't indicate how far Manly were off the speed of the elite teams that year.
You play who you have available at any given time. Sure Tom had a goat of goats season but every side has one player at some point stand up and go bam.... Barber at yhe dogs. Hayne at parra.
History shows we were 80 min from a GF and alternative reality won't change those facts.
Yes we came up short when it mattered. Did I enjoy yhe ride? Hell yeah.

Just to state some facts about that preliminary final.

I'm my opinion souths we're lucky or better rode their luck for at least a few of their tries. Kicks that bounced very favourable on any other day would have gone the complete opposite way. Tommy pinged for that first try thanks to a lazy Suli decision. Tommy held up. Keppie head knock when he was on fire in the opening.

Yeah we lost but it was a great season. Record books will show nothing sure but for the next 40 years people will still be talking about Tommy and his seaeagles side of 2021.

Des is known as the mad professor for a reason. I have no doubt he had a plan to manage the salary cap past his departure from both Manly and the Dogs but once he left us and got sacked at the dogs the plans got thrown out.

This is why it's important to have a consistent long term plan for the squad that comes from above the coach. When clubs try to completely change direction it leads to years of pain before the new plan can start to bear fruit.

Melbourne are the perfect example, consistency of staff leads to consistency of results.
I seriously doubt that he was able to manage the salary cap at the dogs especially, I remember reading after his inglorious exit from Belmore that their cap was fckd and they would be unable to purchase quality stock until after the 2021 season, what enabled him to build and maintain a dynasty is the very thing that eventually brought him undone

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8