Do you support Trent Barrett? (Part 2)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you Support Trent Barrett?

• Yes

• No

• Still Neutral

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've run very large and complex businesses and I always gave people time to settle into a new role especially if they were coming into a troubled or poor performing organistion. However, sometimes even with all the support in the world recruitment mistakes are made and some people just aren't capable of stepping up to a challenging new role and no amount of time or support will change that.

It is a results driven business and Barrett has had every chance to make his mark on our club, he had almost 12 months to get his head around and prepare this team for this season, he would have been involved in the off season big spending recruitment drive, he had his say on the way we play the game and how fit the team is. There is no sugar coating it off field and on field we have gone backwards this year. For the poor on field results .... the buck stops coach with the coach and his assistants they must go and someone with an understanding of what the Manly culture is needs to be installed. We aren't ever going to improve with him in charge.
Wombat64 from a business perspective can you see any merit in changing a tried and tested coaching recruitment strategy that existed so successfully in the Manly organization for so long? Sure it wasn't 100% a winner every year but reaped the best results of its competitors for near on 50 years. Just interested why a business would do that to its self.

Not that this takes away from the point you are making but that isnt quite right.
Memberships are higher this year and that must be construed as an indicator of improvement.

Ahh you must have seen how the club is now offering those one game memberships too lol.

This regime must be getting pretty desperate.

I dare say that finance sheet which gets released early next year wont look real flash.

Especially after the great expense the club went too giving members a limited edition coin.

Yep kind of like our money back before the season started.

I wasn't that keen on Trent's appointment in the first place to be honest but committed to giving him a go. He has had horrid luck with injuries in the side nobody can deny that. I want to see improvement and progression for the back half of the year, Christ our draws not that bad. I want to see better resolve from the playing group which he should be focusing on. I hate the guys around him like Cartwright and others - too many outsiders. i will judge Trebt on his results at the end of the year. If it's real bad like the way it's going, I wouldn't have an issue if he was punted.

I did....but damn it's getting tougher....has ever slightly got me holding my breathe after watching him blow up....finally.....horrid chain of events have contributed...but feeble excuses & lack of emotion do not help change a losing formula.

I voted yes. He's still the coach, I do not want him to fail, I want him to be a success, and sacking him now and hiring a midseason replacement will do absolutely nothing for the team - therefore I still support him.

Is Baz a bit of an easy target for all this? Baz's appointment was conceived from a bitter situation for Manly fans with Tooves, so was always going to be under pressure. From the go he had a large crowd ready to pounce as soon as anything went wrong to highlight the appointment as a poor decision because it would reflect badly on the board who many saw as the 'enemy' after the Tooves treatment (I do not in anyway condone that move btw - I share the common opinion it was a disgrace - just trying to explain maybe some of that frustration is now being taken out on Baz).

I understand the frustration - I have sat there very often throughout the year and thought; 'what is it that Baz has brought to the team?' - are we improved in attack? No. Defence? No. Effort at least from last year. About par, at best.

But, being 100% objective in all this. The draw has been horrendous. I mean 5 five day turnarounds in 13(?) rounds cannot be understated. Despite that we had a respectable record despite a couple of losses that were particularly disappointing. The injury toll has been extreme yet again. Killer, DCE, Stewart, Matai + Turbo have all been in and out of the side for large chunks all year as well as Tapau, despite that being self-inflicted. Put those two things together for any side in the league they're going to struggle I don't care who they are. We're on a 6(?) game losing streak - four of those against Sharks, Cows and Broncos - and of course Parra? Would we have honestly beat them anyway (I'd have liked to say yes with Parra at full strength, but the injuries were crucial in that game given the amount of good ball we had) - again luck of the draw has suggested they follow each other one game after another - with all the injuries to compound them?

Add on the match-fixing scandal and it's been nothing short of a disaster of a season.

We have had absolutely no opportunity to settle as a team and build any momentum or combinations as we did towards the end of last year when the injuries eased. A couple of our older statesman have not performed, a couple of our signings disappointed, a and a couple misused.

Now Barrett takes some responsibility without a doubt - but am I comfortable giving Baz all the blame and demanding sacking him given the sh**storm going on around him? Absolutely not.

I did at first and up until recently support Barrett .some players are be selected in the wrong position, & some players chosen for the wrong reasons ( L.Brown & others ) Our for & against explains how poor our offensive & Defense has been.
Its incredibly disappointing.

Barrett was basically sold to Bozo by Gus Gould who praised him no end and said he would become a good first grade coach. But the question is, did Gus throw a dummy that Bozo fell for?

At Penrith their U/20's were the 2013 champions. Then Barrett takes over that coaching role in 2014 and with almost the same squad they drop to 9th, missing the finals. Barrett is then moved to the role of Ivan Cleary's assistant in 2015 while the Panthers U/20's side rockets back up the ladder with a new coach, culminating in the minor premiership and a win over a Tom Trbojevic inspired Manly in the GF.

Baz clearly failed as coach of the Penrith U/20's.

Halfway through 2015 it was pretty obvious that Tooves was on borrowed time as Manly coach so it was obvious that the Sea Eagles would have a new coach in 2016. Around this time it was also obvious that it would be Barrett who would replace him and Gus promptly sacked him when rumours spread that he was talking to Penrith players about joining him at Manly. Ultimately it was probably true since Lewis Brown and Api Koroisau both ended up following Baz to the beach.

The question I have, considering that Ivan Cleary was also sacked from Penrith at the end of 2015, is was Gus having a planned clean out of the senior coaching staff, which included getting rid of Barrett? Now Gus and Baz go back a long way with Gus being his Origin coach a few times so I don't think he wanted to shaft his mate, but did he know that as a coach he wasn't really good enough? Knowing that Manly would be wanting a new coach, did Gould sell Bozo a dummy on TB's coaching ability? That would have killed two birds with one stone for Gould. He got his mate a job and at the same time stuck it to Manly by selling us a dud?

Between 2012 and 2015 Baz also coached Country Origin on 4 occasions, winning 2, losing 1 and drawing 1. However, using Craig Bellamy as an example, coaching a rep team for one off games or a short series is much different to bringing a team together to be a premiership threat over a full season. Bellyache sucked as NSW coach, but as Melbourne coach (despite the salary cap cheating), he has been a success and continues to be even with only 2 of his big 3 left playing.

I think the jury is still out on Barrett's coaching ability. He couldn't have known that we were going to cop so many injuries it wasn't funny or that most of the veterans would be out of form, but its how he manages that which will be the telling thing and so far I don't think its been managed very well. One thing I do like about him is that he at least shows some passion in the coaching box and clearly hates to lose. But in Sunday's post match presser he really did look at a complete loss for answers and that is worrying because if the coach can't figure it out, what chance does the team have?

Wombat64 from a business perspective can you see any merit in changing a tried and tested coaching recruitment strategy that existed so successfully in the Manly organization for so long? Sure it wasn't 100% a winner every year but reaped the best results of its competitors for near on 50 years. Just interested why a business would do that to its self.
No. I can't. I totally agree with you. I don't understand it either, For many reasons what we had and the way we did things worked better than what any other teams have been able to achieve over the long term. Success was in the clubs DNA. We had that Manly culture and that appears to have been lost this year.

Last edited:
No. I can't. I totally agree with you. I don't understand it either, For many reasons what we had and the way we did things worked better than what any other teams have been able to achieve over the long term. Success was in the clubs DNA. We had that Manly culture and that appears to have been lost this year.
Sold not lost.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/6ace7be2c1e79fee71662781f50affdd

Manly chairman Scott Penn gives Sea Eagles coach TrentBarrett notice of ‘high expetations’
June 13, 2016 11:00pm
DEAN RITCHIEThe Daily Telegraph

MANLY chairman Scott Penn has given rookie Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett his unconditional support but said failure at Brookvale was unacceptable.

The Sea Eagles’ forgettable season slumped to a new low on Sunday as they surrendered a 20-point lead at home to lose 31-24 to Penrith.

Barrett, who was handed the reins this season after the Sea Eagles sacked former coach and favourite son Geoff Toovey, questioned his side’s ability to “handle adversity”.

03d3f6db8f410682ab0d6f4a011ba751

Barrett knows pressure is building, despite his chairman’s support.

Now, with an injury crisis, just four wins from 13 games and a match-fixing probe into two Manly games from 2015 hanging over the club, this season’s finals aspirations already appear doomed.

Penn has endorsed Barrett as the man to guide the Eagles out of the gloom, but remained adamant the club must start winning.

“That is what a footy club is all about. We are an incredibly proud club and we have high expectations — and that’s not going to change,” Penn said of the Eagles, who last season Manly missed the finals for the first time since 2004.

story-fni0cx12-6ace7be2c1e79fee71662781f50affdd

“We absolutely need to be successful. That is what our fans and sponsors expect. We have to win — that’s what footy is all about. There’s no questions, we need to do that.”

Manly led Penrith 24-4 on Sunday before conceding 27 unanswered points in a gut-wrenching defeat.

The Sea Eagles went into the game already missing stars Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai and Daly Cherry-Evans through injury, before forward Nate Myles was forced from the field early with a knee injury.

“Once we start to get some consistency with players on the field, if we’re not performing then, we’ll have a different conversation,” Penn said.

“We’re disappointed with where we are, we understand why and we have to get out of it. On the field, we’re just not catching any breaks at the moment.

“It’s been a disappointing season thus far which has been exacerbated by injury, no question.

“We have used 28 players which is unprecedented. I don’t think in our history we have played 28 players by halfway through a season.

“We can’t lay all the blame on that but certainly that’s a significant factor. We have had injuries in every key position. That makes it very difficult.”

Dylan Walker, Apisai Koroisau, Darcy Lussick, Matt Parcell, Nate Myles, Martin Taupau and Lewis Brown were all part of a revamped Sea Eagles playing roster this season that was expected to do well under Barrett.

Sea Eagles press conference
external

origin:video_integrator.Y3YXUzNDE62aYK8KARWwpWUQhZ7Jt_jh

“Trent’s fine. We are six months into a three-year contract, it’s very early days,” Penn said.

“We had a massive change at the end of last season, we pretty much changed the entire coaching staff and changed half our playing roster. If anyone expects that be an instant turnaround, then they don’t know football very well. It does take time.

“We have to give him (Barrett) a chance. People are judged when they have all their assets at their disposal.

“He does, but unfortunately we haven’t been able to get players on the field when we need them. We need to be patient. At these times, we always have to look at systems and structures and make sure we’ve got everything that we need. I believe that we do. We just need consistency with troops on the park.”

9fb8ea0e463febe28fdb379d58866805

Manly’s season is in danger of complete collapse.

The current police match-fixing probe surrounding games involving the club has not, according to Penn, affected the playing roster.

“No I don’t think so,” he said. “The first half on Sunday demonstrated what we are capable of. If there was a cloud of doubt in their minds, the players wouldn’t have come out as hungry and polished as they did. The playing group is a doing a tremendous job of keeping that distraction at bay and getting on with the job.

“I couldn’t be prouder of the team, they are trying their hearts out. You can’t question the effort, that is all you can ask for as owners.”

Ah yes. Coke changing the taste back in the 80s revisited ! That went well!!

Twenty is obviously here until at least 2017.

I'd like to see him in charge of a side that,

A) he picks himself
B) isnt full of players destabilising the situation
C) with 25 players who want to be there and are committed
D) and a somewhat decent run with injuries

Let's see how he goes then rather than burning him at the stake now.

As stated , and due to these factors I'm neutral.

Cannot see that you can crucify him with all the **** that's going on around him.

“I couldn’t be prouder of the team, they are trying their hearts out. You can’t question the effort, that is all you can ask for as owners.”
After the weekend's effort it would appear that TB and Penn have a conflict here. This does not bode well for TB.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6