Pre-Game Dragons v Manly [Round 22, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

18 24
WIN Stadium
29 Jul 2023 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bogey team down there in the Gong. They'll throw it around a fair bit, we struggle against that. We need the right edge to fire again. Is Suli still playing left centre for them? Get Koula to turn on the jets against him.

Ben Hunt usually turns it on against us, I'm concerned about the defensive holes up the middle that Toff and Woods create, both move way too slow laterally, add Lodge to that.

We "should" win, but from historical results down ther and injuries, I actually have the Dragons as favourites.

Can someone who is au fait with modern RL tactics inform me what is the role of a lock? I'm old school, so I can't get out of my head the images of Beaver, Coote, Clyde etc. yet we have a defensive draft horse, in Jurbo, playing lock.
Is a lock no longer the link between the forwards and the backs? Is he no longer fast, able to break tackles and cover defend?
If Jurbo is a good lock why is he always picked as a prop in representative teams?
I would have thought, within our current roster, the most suitable locks would be Burbo (injured), Bully or Madison.
Jake should not be playing at lock.

No great surprises really !!

Bully & Sipley were always going to be the replacements.

I still prefer to see Jake as Prop but they keep picking him at lock.

Our Assistant Ressies coach made an interesting little comment the other week about lock.

He said Mattersons best position is Lock. Said Mattersons hadn't had opportunity prior to his debut as Seibold wants his lock to play a very different style than most NRL coaches.

He even hint that when Mattersons took the field in his debut, it would likely be anywhere other than at lock.

I get that structures change, etc but I can't see why a team who starts with an extra prop in the middle, can't adapt or even benefit in attack and defence from a more mobile, ball player at lock at different stages of a game.

The Dragons look like they have a team that could still trouble us but we really should be getting the job done this weekend. Hoping we can run away with the game late to win by 13+ but realistically we would do well to win by 1-12

The Dragons look like they have a team that could still trouble us but we really should be getting the job done this weekend. Hoping we can run away with the game late to win by 13+ but realistically we would do well to win by 1-12
Even by 1 would be fine

Thank you @The Wheel

We do not have a very Good Record at the Gong

But Records , Defensive lines , Game plans and Salary caps are ALL meant to be Broken

1690270590249.png

Thank you @The Wheel
I am on night shift Saturday night
Other wise it would have been a delight
To Celebrate this Memorable occasion with the Great and Durable DCE on his 300th game
DCE has done it all
and Now it is time for him to do it all again and Win another Manly Premiership

Our Assistant Ressies coach made an interesting little comment the other week about lock.

He said Mattersons best position is Lock. Said Mattersons hadn't had opportunity prior to his debut as Seibold wants his lock to play a very different style than most NRL coaches.

He even hint that when Mattersons took the field in his debut, it would likely be anywhere other than at lock.

I get that structures change, etc but I can't see why a team who starts with an extra prop in the middle, can't adapt or even benefit in attack and defence from a more mobile, ball player at lock at different stages of a game.
Always a good listen the Fifth and Last podcast. He’s been dropping info about Manly ressies all year. Good to hear him call out Brett Stewart as someone he’s really learned from with regard to fullback play by watching and listening to him at training.

Just noticed the for and against for both teams and St George have scored one more point than us so far this year (surprised me at least...). Their against is pretty bad though. :)

Excellent interview with DCE. Apart from his usual articulate self, he was very honest and open even answering difficult questions about his career on and off the field. And the class act that he is, he deflected attention on himself to pay tribute to Froggy playing his 100th too. Well done DCE :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8