Election 2010, who do you think will win and why??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Katter's sided with the Coalition but has left the other two to their own 3pm press conference. Looks like they may go Labor in that case leaving 76-74. Good luck with that!

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/katter-supports-abbott--for-now-20100907-14ywv.html

Yes I'd agree mate

Gronk I'd be interested to hear why you think that won't be so bad.

There's a great article today in the Courier Mail up here by Terry Mcrann about that very issue, and it's pretty scary reading.

What worries me is the "ok Gillard you owe us this for getting you in, now it's payup time"

Because they aren't dumb, that why.  Only 1% of people would favour some of their more extreme stuff, as you say most people who voted for them don't even know about it. 

So they will find a way not to bring it in so as to not kill themselves at the next election.  Same as all parties. 

Remains to be seen, I fear them and especially when they control the Senate.

BUT you are probably right, if they start with the radical ****e then they won't control the Senate for that long.

So we shall see what havoc they will bring down on us in about 12 months, maybe I am wrong but I'm still worried

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Remains to be seen, I fear them and especially when they control the Senate.

BUT you are probably right, if they start with the radical s**te then they won't control the Senate for that long.

So we shall see what havoc they will bring down on us in about 12 months, maybe I am wrong but I'm still worried

well maybe you should have a word to your liberal mates and tell them to pass the ALPs mainstream stuff instead of leaving it to the greens to nobble it ;)

eh, they can only veto stuff from the senate. To actually introduce bills has to pass the lower house which is now done on the independants, so it has to line up with the independants and labors views in the lower house and labors in the upper house, they can't just run riot.

I actually don't have any "mates" in the Liberals Gronk, but that's academic now anyway.....so let's see how long Gillard manages 3 very different independents, 1 green, and the a green Senate.

I am actually not anti Labor, in fact them and the Libs are so close these days there's hardly a breath of air between them, but I am fervently anti greens...and in my opinion they are the "Lunatic Asylum".

It's just a pity really that neither of the major parties has a clear majority. I'd be happy with either party to have a majority...this mismatch, pulled together hung between two independents Parliament I think is doomed before it starts.....lets see if we are not talking about the same subject in about 12 months, maybe a little longer.

The pragmatics of government often means that parties have to toe the line on a whole lot of matters. Why have three country electorates elected independents instead of Nationals, all first done whilst Howard was in Government? Why have two city electorates moved from Labor, whilst a Labor Government was in office? The people in the electorates didn't believe they got what they wanted from the incumbent major party? The Greens only need to look at what happened to the Democrats when they lost their interest in being a responsible third party. One Nation didn't last either because of the extremist pressure they applied.

One things for sure CW, their red neck policies will be up for far more scrutiny than ever before, so maybe next time people will vote with a bit of knowledge NOT just "save the whales"

Mark, you have to expect clever election decisions up your way (voted for the whales savers) :) Katter went with the coalition 'cos he was angry at a QUUUUEEEEENSLAAAANDERRRRRR PM being given the flick. Maybe we should give your State an extra couple of months to catch up with the rest of us before voting :p

There should definitely be an IQ test at the polls before voting in QLD. 

My other favourite reason up there that people gave for voting Liberal was not liking the state ALP government.  Well they weren't on the ballot paper you numpties! 

Maybe when people can tell the difference between a state and federal election we'll remove the IQ test!

I'd actually agree with you both on that, it didn't seem to make much of a difference in NSW (where Labor at a State level is even more on the nose than up here) but it did influence many voters. I also think that a huge number of voters were 'sending a message' about the sacking of KRudd....so don't be surprised to see the whole thing go the other way next time.

IF (and I do say if) Julia Foolia can stick around for 3 years, I'd say she'll be returned easily next time and then we'll be back to the "she'll have to **** it up to lose" situation in the 2013-2016 period.

Anyway by then I will have retired (in the lap of luxury....I wish)...or I'll be dead and won't give a **** what anyone does (as long as they don't let the Greens bring in a 50% death duty ...which is what they want).

Anyway I must say it's been a fun month or so on this thread, lots of different views (as you'd expect) and some interesting debate so well done to all...especially Rusty for his insightful contributions along the way.

I think it had an effect in NSW too, but up in QLD the Libs were using Anna Bligh in a lot of their material - indicating that it must have been working a whole lot more. 

My impression is that most state governments are buggered these days and it doesn't matter what party they are from - they don't have enough power to really collect many taxes any more, but still have to deliver on the services most of us have the most contact with - transport, health, schools, roads etc. 

If we abolished state governments and just had bigger local councils and then the feds I think it would work a lot better. 

I am amused at the media saying last night if we get a by-election it will mean we will all be off to the polls.

Are they so hell bent on scare mongering that they cant see that depending on the result of any such by-election that the governments position could actually be strengthened, or have no effect at all.

Second time today I have agreed with you Gronk...piss the State Governments off. another layer of costs that are not needed.....we already have "Super Councils" let them manage the roads, and let the Feds run Health / Law and Order etc etc

Gee Gronk, when I look at the sort of local councils we have, I wonder whether abolishing State Govts is such a good idea. Look at your brother in law or Fluffy's missus?????

Gronk, just so you know, I am from NSW, and NOT tarred with that Maroon brush they have up this way....I am a Blue through and through...oh yes and a Manly supporter!!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8