Election 2010, who do you think will win and why??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
OEE, people like you are the sorts that drive people to vote Labor. You have fallen for a cheap stereotype that is are just as bad as every employer being a  money-grabbing man, smlking a cigar, with wads of money in his hands, laughing as he fires the workers. (Isn't true)

Gillard, like her or not, was actually a Lawyer who happened to work for the one of the Trade Unions, organisations that (despite their bad press and some dodgy practices in some industries) actually protect the interests of employees. Look beyond her accent to her policies and at least be intelligent about voting Liberal.

I am also concerned about with a lot of the issues mentioned above but I am also concerned about the social fabric and type of country we live in and which party will deliver a compassionate, fair and just society.

OneEyedEagle link said:
Don’t forget that Turnbull actually approached the Labor party to join their rank and file before seeing the light of the Liberal party.

That proves you wrong OEE.

The ALP dont get everything wrong, and showed some great judgement there by turning their backs on the one born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

CW, Wow you have me all figured out don't you.

I have fallen for nothing and I’m intelligent enough to make up my own mind about things without having to listen to hysteria being broadcast by shock jocks, That’s right all my life I have never been a follower I have gone out and done my own thing through the school of hard knocks (no silver spoon in my mouth).

I am stating facts about Gillard, there is no hype about it. Did you actually read what I wrote? What I am saying is that Gillard actually comes from a well to do family and she actually did speak with an eloquent vocabulary. For the simple reason that she wanted to be accepted (FACT) by the working class she developed that type slang vocabulary that she uses today. From a protocol perspective I find this to be embarrassing of leader of our great nation.

Stop viewing the ALP through rose coloured goggles. Let’s just agree that we both have differing opinions and that’s what makes this country so great to live in that we can both have those different opinions, we can both live with it and have a beer afterwards and still be friends. There are a lot of other countries that do not allow it.

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=OneEyedEagle link=topic=184174.msg279991#msg279991 date=1280473130]

Don’t forget that Turnbull actually approached the Labor party to join their rank and file before seeing the light of the Liberal party.

The ALP dont get everything wrong, and showed some great judgement there by turning their backs on the one born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
[/quote]

Do a bit of research on Turnbull, you might surprise yourself.

Was hardly born into money

Was just reading a story online and after a "week of hell" if the election was held today the Ranga would be goneski......this could be closer that we all think EXCEPT...the shining knight who was stabbed in the back will be back in the saddle to rescue his mates next week.

Seriously looks like Labor is imploding to me.

Fro link said:
[quote author=bob dylan link=topic=184174.msg280023#msg280023 date=1280477589]
[quote author=OneEyedEagle link=topic=184174.msg279991#msg279991 date=1280473130]

[/quote]

Do a bit of research on Turnbull, you might surprise yourself.

Was hardly born into money
[/quote]

Dont need to do research I know of the family history.

Not all kids get to go to Sydney Grammer at St Ives. The annual fees of over $20,000 cut most kids out.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Was just reading a story online and after a \"week of hell\" if the election was held today the Ranga would be goneski......this could be closer that we all think EXCEPT...the shining knight who was stabbed in the back will be back in the saddle to rescue his mates next week.

Seriously looks like Labor is imploding to me.

Not a surprise really, but it will take a massive swing to out them, but it happened in 2007.

I have noticed the better has tightened up
ALP $1.40 vs Coalition $3.60

OneEyedEagle link said:
Stop viewing the ALP through rose coloured goggles. Let’s just agree that we both have differing opinions and that’s what makes this country so great to live in that we can both have those different opinions, we can both live with it and have a beer afterwards and still be friends. There are a lot of other countries that do not allow it.
Agree very much with the paragraph. Well said. Mind you, I am not impressed with the ALP at the moment - in the end it may well be who I am most less impressed with that will get my vote. Gillard and co are running around like headless chooks at the moment - with today's polls it will be even more!!!

Good to see you seeing some errors CW. The classroom discussions must be interesting atm.

What is the view of your students atm?

byso link said:
Good to see you seeing some errors CW. The classroom discussions must be interesting atm.

What is the view of your students atm?
Don't talk to students and never have, regarding politics. Not sure how they feel about the election. It is so underwhelming at the moment anyway. It is a very Labour area but I don't really know to tell the truth.

Contrary to rumour teachers don't tell kids how to vote. Anyone who knows teenagers would also know that kids don't do what teachers might think anyway. Their parents would have a much bigger influence.

Here is my prediction : Coalition victory, with or without a national swing sufficient to ensure a popular vote victory.

With redistributions and the thin margins achieved by the 07 election Labour has far too many seats at risk to retain government. Labour must not lose any more then 11 seats. I have labour losing 17 and the election.

Prediction time, and if I am right someone in government better give me a job.

The seats the coalition will win are as follows :

Corangamite (VIC)
Deakin (VIC)

Both seats swung to the Labour party at the last election and with narrow margins the anti-incumbent vote will make these two LIB gains, these are the only seats in VIC that will swing, unless the greens manage to win the seat of Melbourne after the retirement of Lidsey Tanner. This is the most likely green gain, and the only one I can realistically see them achieving.

Hasluck (WA)
Swan (WA)

Both seats with narrow margins and an anti labour swing that started with the mining super profits tax will be easily sufficient to give these two to the coalition. My opinion is that the swing will not be sufficient to give the coalition the seats of Brand and Perth (Both WA) unless some major event causes the government or PM to become particularly toxic.

Herbert (QLD)
Dickson (QLD)

The two most marginal Lab held seats in QLD (Both after redistribution) have sitting LIB/NAT (The two partys are one in QLD) members, both will stay in the coalition party room.

Flynn (QLD)
Dawson (QLD)
Leichhardt (QLD)

The swing to Labour was huge in these seats last election, some reversal is natural especially without Rudd (A Qlder) as the PM at the helm, this should shift these three towards the coalition.

Longman (QLD)

This seat has a margin of 1.7% which falls within the 1% + 1% rule that I think is likely to govern results in QLD, 1% for the natural anti-government swing and 1% because a QLDer is no longer head of the Labour party.

Gilmore (NSW)
Macarthur (NSW)

Both narrow labour seats notionally with sitting coalition members, incumbency and a anti-government swing of any size will see these as LIB gains.

Page (NSW)
Eden-Monaro (NSW)

These two rural seats will be the first to watch to see if a change of government is on the cards. Eden-Monaro is called the bell-weather seat for a reason, but this may be the first time in a long time that it does not go with the party forming government, as the local labour member is well liked and I rate it as one of the least likely on this list to change hands. Page should be a Nationals gain in a region where polling has their vote consistently tracking up.

Robertson (NSW)

Belinda Neal, 148 votes. The numbers add up. Labour is gone in this seat on the coast, for extra points if a huge swing is on then Labour will also lose the nearby seat of Dobell.

Macquarie (NSW)

Strong local candidate Louise Markus has moved from the seat of Greenway following a redistribution that sees most of her voters change seats, she will carry this marginal seat by herself. With some luck the Libs will also retain Greenway, now notionally a Labour seat.

Bennelong (NSW)

The only reason this seat went labour at the last election was a strong anti howard vote, with the villian no longer on the ticket the seat should revert to its natural tendencies, strong lib gain.

You will note that I have not listed any change in TAS, although the seat of Bass is at risk, SA although Kingston, Wakefield and Hindmarsh may all swing to the coalition, NT although Solomon, the seat comprising Darwin and surround may change hands in the coalitions favour as well.

The coalition only has to win 11 of these seats to take government, I would be entirely surprised if they fail to do so. If anything they should gain more then the 17 I have listed here.

byso link said:
Rusty are these your comments or from the news.

Those are my comments based on heaps of research. I like to stay across these things. I don't know if anyone else agrees with me but in my honest opinion the Labour government hardly had a huge victory last time round and I see this as the coalitions election to lose.

That said I would not be surprised to see Labour win the popular vote and still lose the election, as I listed above there are just too many seats with local issues that should see them lost to the coalition.

Big swings are on in QLD and western sydney, the older voters on the central coast and in far north NSW are also key voters this election and Labout has done nothing to secure their vote. I can see labour increasing its vote on a two party pefered basis in TAS and most VIC seats as well as the ACT and NT, but these states have very few marginal seats and the election is won and lost in NSW, QLD and WA. The reason for an increase in 2PP vote would be the greens preferences not an overall approval for the government, and this could easily fall apart if the government see's a massive swing against it materialize.

On a personal note giving the greens increased power is a very very very bad idea. People seem to be unaware that we currently have a hung parliament with the greens and independents sharing the balance of power. The only reason that Labour was unable to pass legislation is their own laziness and ideological stubbornness. They have accused the coalition of blocking everything but if Rudd or Gillard had wanted to they could have brokered a deal on everything from the ETS to Alcopops to National Broadband and the internet filter without the coalitions involvement. Giving the greens the balance of power will be a huge problem as it will be the first time in our history that an ideologically driven party has filled that function, the result being that any government may have to skew well to the left to govern, resulting in a lot of expensive proven failures of policies being passed.

An example : High speed rail. The greens want to build a high speed rail network down the east coast of the country, citing the poll that shows 74% of Australians support the idea. However the reason that no state or federal government has even explored the idea is that it won't be used. Careful analysis of rail usage tells us that the only worthwhile expansion of rail on the east coast (Outside of major city areas) should be confined to freight. With the greens in power we may end up building a system that sounds good, but will be expensive, not get used to any great degree and therefore have limited environmental benefit.

Another example, the greens are telling us that it was their support for the stimulus that pulled Australia away from the brink of recession. Truth be told if you look at the economic data we did not start to see growth pick up and consumer confidence restore itself until about 6 months after the Chinese introduced their stimulus and the mining boom picked up again. These lagging indicators tell us that the mining industry is really driving growth in this country and the trickle down effect is evident across the economy. It is not domestic stimulus that matters but our orientation to the world wide resources market place. The greens demand higher taxes, greater regulation and tighter operating conditions be imposed on the mining industries, these constraints will end our advantage over world wide producers and even push regional customers towards other options like PNG or Indonesia, almost certainly damaging our economy in a massive way.

Very well put together report then.

I agree with the majority that you wrote.

I only know of a few people outside of this site that would vote labor this time around, some of those would have fell for the Kevin07 BS last time around that will probably vote Lib this time.

byso link said:

I only know of a few people outside of this site that would vote labor this time around, some of those would have fell for the Kevin07 BS last time around that will probably vote Lib this time.

I dont know many swinging voters.  Out here in country NSW its a bit like the Holden or a Ford debate, you are what you are and thats it.

Living in a safe National seat means it doesnt make much difference anyway.

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=byso link=topic=184174.msg280381#msg280381 date=1280661108]

I dont know many swinging voters.  Out here in country NSW its a bit like the Holden or a Ford debate, you are what you are and thats it.

Living in a safe National seat means it doesnt make much difference anyway.
[/quote]

Thanks Byso, I do my best to make sure I know what I am talking about. I always had a feeling a coalition victory was coming but after more and more research into key seats I am getting more certain. There are just to many close seats that are Labour held and too few that are held by the coalition. Without a central theme like Workchoices causing a stir I don't see Labour picking up any seats at all.

And Bob, swing voters most often don't decide seats, net migration, new voters (Ie. people who turn 18) and boundry changes decide seats much more frequently.

95% of voters don't change their vote, many many many people will vote Labour or Lib or Nat for their whole lives. There are game changers how ever, for instance the fact that Gillard is a woman may cauce some women to change a set vote. Also the mining tax is a huge game changer, and then there is the fear aspect, last time it was Tampa or Workchoices, this time it is pensions and the 'fact' that Gillard doesn't think old people deserve their money...

Also I am a big big big proponent of the yoyo effect, almost always when a game changer is in force, ie workchoices - the next election a large percentage of those who changed their votes revert to their natural voting tendencies, hence why I feel a lot of seats that should be naturally coalition seats albeit marginal ones will revert to that status. Page, Eden-Monaro, Corangamite are good examples.

There are also the groups of voters that are not rusted on to either side, ie. Young people and Migrants. Now young people I see voting for the greens and labour in large numbers, but at the last election they voted for Rudd in droves so no loss there. Migrants however might decide the seat of Benalong for instance where a large Chinese community came out in force for Rudd at the last election despite being largely a small business based community and therefore being much more naturally affiliated with the policies of the coalition. This combined with the yoyo effect and a boundary change in the seat should see this seat swing quite strongly I feel.

Local issues often play much more role then people are willing to admit, that is why Robertson on the central coast is almost certainly a Lib gain, and why I am on a knife edge about the next seat over in Dobell. Another reason that the Central Coast seats are always in play even with large margins (Dobell has a 2.4% swing required) is the huge net migration that is still occurring from Sydney that brings in new voters making local politics unstable. Older people often vote coalition and the CC is one of the older areas demographically in the country.

Where the female vote might bight Labour is the seat of swan, which is odd in that many of the service men overseas use it as a registration point for their votes due to its many army and airforce bases, people in the military might have voted strongly for Rudd (In comparison to normal voting tendencies towards conservative policies.) but might not vote for a woman, especially one with zero foreign affairs experience.

Of course... we well see.

Fro link said:
if you did your research you would know its Labor not Labour.

:)

Thats our Fro.

Bet Ive done that more then 20 times, Its what you get for posting at 3am.

yeah at least :)

If you are going to put something up to paint yourself as knowledgeable, basics might help :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6