END OF A GOLDEN ERA

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought the era had ended when Gift left, because at that stage I knew that some of our senior players were getting older as well.

We started going down hill in 2014 and just limped into the finals that year.

We literally lost the minor premiership on Points Difference against the Cowboys at the last round - and still finished the regular season in 2nd.

But yes, an unquantifiable element seemed to be missing after the big win over Canberra in Round 8... and not just Glenn Stewart.

Last edited:
sorry for another clip - but wow. what a game this was. so lucky to have been there live

Matt Orford well and truly the most underrated halfback ever. One of the best kicking games ive seen from a halfback, remember his banana kicks? And his combo with the snake. beautiful rugby league

sorry for another clip - but wow. what a game this was. so lucky to have been there live

Matt Orford well and truly the most underrated halfback ever. One of the best kicking games ive seen from a halfback, remember his banana kicks? And his combo with the snake. beautiful rugby league

Wonderful memories , remember the Beaver Beaver chant when he came back on?

And in my mind the greatest ever GF moment , the great man scoring in his last game, after returning to the field for the last few minutes.

I haven't missed a Manly GF since my first ( 1973) , all great , well maybe not the losses , but never a better moment than that.

Great times hard to ever beat that. Looking at that I suppose ever one was young fit in there prime. Had a lot of luck with injuries

You can't be on top forever and it's own time to languish in the cellar. I suspect we won't be there for long because it's just not the Manly way.

I do think it's probably time for Manly to completely start again with a young inexperienced squad...the salary cap won't allow us to to simply buy replacement after replacement. We need to blood Liam Knight and give AFB plenty of game time...the young brigade are our best hope of digging our way out of this hole, not overpriced journeymen.

Guys I wrote this last night when I was broken hearted, I really was.
But as sad as it is, it is an opportunity to create more youth in our ranks and build the squad from the ground up. Let's stop bashing the coach for starters, he will be there next year and possibly the year after.
Retrospect also tells me that the additions we made before this year in players, was to get some professionals at the club and make us competitive over 2016/2017. It didn't work, but that is sometimes how things transpire.
Seriously. I think Bozo's plans are far more concentrated on a 5 year plan. Let's also stop Bozo bashing, because most of what he is doing is out of love and respect for the club that gave him his future. He is not a dinosaur at all, but a very astute man period.
My last words on this are probably the most pivotal to this post. There is no doubt that DCE was on the outer with the core players at Manly some 2 years ago....WHY??? Because he was not fitting in to their culture. With recent events, ask yourself truly, what WAS the culture amongst the players and was it indeed a culture that would be positive to pass on to the next generation.
It seems very plausible that although this squad was a fantastic unit of footballers on the park, the integrity and moral fibre of some must be deeply questioned. They started behaving like rock stars and "bad boys", involving themselves with questionable friends etc. Don't try and defend it, I witnessed these guys on many occasions parading themselves around as such.
DCE didn't like it, didn't embrace it and therefore was cast to the outer.

The club has identified this, and decided to build the club around him. I say BRAVO. But with contracts etc, you cannot wave a magical wand.

Please don't start arguing some of my points, because it is just an opinion based on my own dealings with the club. I may be askew in some areas, but my core belief is that a group of players began dragging the club away from it's high integrity and respectful history.
Time will tell, but we should try our best to lend our patriotic support. We can bash them when they play bad, but let's keep things honorable please.
I seen REAL fight in DCE's eyes last night, he has finally turned the corner, and I suspect will be the MAN to lead us forward. He has been through so much (sure some of his own doing) but it is time to unify and build this great club back into a formidable force. One that we can all be proud of.
DCE is not a leader but in saying that he always gives 100%.

Not his fault he is over-valued but i do think he is too self absorbed and business like to inspire others.(in a ruthless disrespectful "enjoy the process" it is what it is robotic tone)

In saying that DCE's professionalism and work ethic can't be denied on and off the field that got on the nose of probably one or two in the "Core Group" back in the day, that had too much power and influence in the club/squad.

It really has been an unbelievable period from 2005 to 2014. And like all golden eras you really don't think it will ever end (anyone remember the 2005 Ashes in the cricket??). I will look back on this period with massive fondness, and I believe we do need time to bounce back, and I would say 95percent of people understand it takes time.

What I would say we all believe is unacceptable is a lack of enthusiasm and a lack of willingness to put your body on the line. And to me there has been too much of that from players who have been afforded massive amounts of respect and latitude when it comes to poor performances.

DCE is not a leader but in saying that he always gives 100%.

Not his fault he is over-valued but i do think he is too self absorbed and business like to inspire others.(in a ruthless disrespectful "enjoy the process" it is what it is robotic tone)

In saying that DCE's professionalism and work ethic can't be denied on and off the field that got on the nose of probably one or two in the "Core Group" back in the day, that had too much power and influence in the club/squad.
I agree with your thoughts re DCE as a leader. What I am saying, is I think he is turning the corner and realising his role must embrace leading the club. Expect next year once some more players are moved on and Jamie retires (perhaps Brett leaves) Big opportunity for DCE

He also had a big opportunity this year with Foz leaving.
I don't think DCE really sees this as his team right now with players like Snake, Skivy and Jamie in the side. It's probably weird for him to be barking orders on the field the way JT does especially to those senior players some of whom he's had a rocky relationship with in the past. I really hope that changes once the old brigade moves on.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7