Enjoy the new site

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Really odd, does the page lock up, or when you say slow, is it just that the adverts are loading so it looks like the page is still loading?

We do load all of the javascript asynchronously which means it shouldn't lock the page, it will just load it and continue going. For me the entire page load takes about 3 seconds

Hey Dan,

For me it takes about 10 seconds for the page to unfreeze and acroll, the test loads fairly quickly.

Another weird thing is user names getting split over lines

eg i get
"super
ninten
do cha
lmers"

oh and when I post the window minimises

hi this is IE9 not rendering the css properly. upgrsde to ie 10 or 11 or move to ff or chrome.

i have logged a bug with the designer regarding ie9 but being backward compatible means larger load for everyone else

Job well done. Much better than the last once you adjust to it.
Couple of suggestions that may, or may not be implementable / liked, but thought i'd throw out there.

There is alot of white space, perhaps a more prominent border, where the light blueish grey outlines, maybe bring that to a maroon too, boxing things in a bit and less 'open plan' so to speak?
For those on larger / higher resolution screens the white space is even more with the white background. Perhaps some images on rotation as a background? Not every device would display them, but bigger screens would then be filled. I know there'd be a bit of work getting permissions and whatnot, but i'd imagine the club might be able to supply some useable images, or users with at game / training type shots they'd be willing to donate royalty free?

I've chucked together a bit of an image of my ideas, photoshop aint my best skill, but it should give an idea. Might be liked, might be howled down!

idea.jpg

Looks good Dan.

Getting logged out a lot though, and having problems logging in with Facebook on other computers.

hi this is IE9 not rendering the css properly. upgrsde to ie 10 or 11 or move to ff or chrome.

i have logged a bug with the designer regarding ie9 but being backward compatible means larger load for everyone else

Given I work for a large multinational I am going to struggle to get things upgraded.

If this is the ways things are I will deal with it but like all new projects if you are not aware of any issues there is nothing you can do hence the feedback.

I hate the look, I hate how it's too different. The code runs more slowly, everything takes longer. It taxes the processor in my phone, which gets hot while surfing the forum. I,m pointing out the elephant in the room !
Dan, restore our old 'working, Free' forum.

I agree, why does everything take up so much space. A 2 line reply takes up a WHOLE ipad screen!! The avatars are massive - not sure why. It seems like everything needs to be condensed and tightened up a bit. Too much damned scrolling to get anywhere. And why are the page numbers within the threads up front are so small u can hardly see them. Apologies for the rant, but from what used to be a friendly user friendly gui is now, slow, clunky and hard to look at.

@Fluffy
@Brett#1
@EagleFromMay1967

For everyone having issues with this sites design. I am going to put up a trial of a new theme for you to select later. Once I do I will tag you all in this post so you can try it and tell me whether you are having the same issues or not, or whether over all it works better. It is a free theme. The alternate is to off the following theme http://www.audentio.com/demo/xf/index.php

So also try that out with your various machines and browsers and please let me know if that gives you issues or not then I can purchase it and change colours etc to suit our needs. i need to know which suits better for you though.

@COMMANDER clear your cookies, there is a corruption or conflict between the old site cookies and this site

Dan

I think the demo theme on http://www.audentio.com/demo/xf/index.php?threads/types-of-posts.11/ looks smart and would probably look even better with maroon around and between the posts giving better definition. As viewed on PC.

I also like the size/scale and operation of the freeze pane on the top. And the post jump control with green progress bar seems to work better for me than our current one. The thing I would add if possible would be the thread title to the freeze pane so that it's always visible.

I
I think the demo theme on http://www.audentio.com/demo/xf/index.php?threads/types-of-posts.11/ looks smart and would probably look even better with maroon around and between the posts giving better definition. As viewed on PC.

I also like the size/scale and operation of the freeze pane on the top. And the post jump control with green progress bar seems to work better for me than our current one. The thing I would add if possible would be the thread title to the freeze pane so that it's always visible.
I put this to a vote when we first went to move this was one of the themes and the one above was the other. Everyone voted for this one, and we are still getting mixed reviews.

On a PC I like this one but not as much on the phone. I am going to put a free one in place tonight and see how it looks and I can offer up both as an option for all

I

I put this to a vote when we first went to move this was one of the themes and the one above was the other. Everyone voted for this one, and we are still getting mixed reviews.

On a PC I like this one but not as much on the phone. I am going to put a free one in place tonight and see how it looks and I can offer up both as an option for all

No probs Dan, Only exposure is PC as I'm still using a Nokia 6300:rolleyes:. I thought the "openness" of the site must be related to smart tech but obviously hadn't tested this aspect. Many have invested more time in this and majority rules so please continue your good work and keeping them happy.:)

No probs Dan, Only exposure is PC as I'm still using a Nokia 6300:rolleyes:. I thought the "openness" of the site must be related to smart tech but obviously hadn't tested this aspect. Many have invested more time in this and majority rules so please continue your good work and keeping them happy.:)
My main concern is that people are having a poor experience and that isn't what I want. I need to balance things with looking modern and good and supplying the user experience people want.

I am going to install a theme tonight and see how it goes, it has a lot less style elements and overheads than UI.X (this theme is based off of UI.X) and I suspect perhaps its just a bit too advanced and I need to go back to something more simple.

Ive spent $100 on themes for this new system because the first just would not workout. I dont mind spending the money to get the experience right though

I voted intrinsic! So if that's what this is....then no complaints from me.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
I voted intrinsic! So if that's what this is....then no complaints from me.
Yep that's what it is. I think I'm just going to offer multiple themes never done that before but gives is the widest range of coverage

The link looks a bit better on first impressions.

It appears to border the info in the forums a bit better and makes more use of the screen, utilising about 50-60% for the text compared to about 35% on this.

Still has room for advertising etc.

The perceptions of white space. This theme is based on all the same dimensions and backend of UI.X I am just starting on the other free theme now

@Fluffy im more concernec about the page speeds and whether that other one runs without load delays

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8