Four Nations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
globaleagle said:
looked at it a lot....may be aussie bias but eventually happy with the no try ruling.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vsIZSjUNrI[/video]

Took three minutes of video dumbness to rule what was blindingly obvious to everyone. Boring, unnecessary and a bight on the game.
And rugby league officials have the nerve to claim we have a non-stop action sport.
I hate what video has done to our once great game.

Clint said:
I've only had a quick look at the table, so forgive me if my maths is wrong here, but I thought Australia are a massive chance of still missing the final.
If we beat Samoa by say 20 (which is probably being generous the way we have been playing and the way Samoa have been playing) and if the Poms by NZ by 8 then I think we still miss out on for & against.

My thoughts are the same as yours, unless people are making the assumption the Kiwis are over the line against the Poms.

The Who said:
Took three minutes of video dumbness to rule what was blindingly obvious to everyone. Boring, unnecessary and a bight on the game.
And rugby league officials have the nerve to claim we have a non-stop action sport.

And that's why greenburg wont bring in the captains challenge.....as it may take too long to get a decision.

fmd

Just checked ou the highlights of the NZ/Samoa game. Kieran's try was a dodgy put-down too. Not sure how it got awarded.

And that is why dear old Rex used to say use both fu#$%en hands to plant the ball over the line.

Jennings dropped the ball when planting it for mine and it's happening on a regular basis. That and Inglis playing theatre to the crowd rather than running under the posts to make sure of the additional 2 points in a close game.

Generation me I guess, but nothing a size 10 up the arse from the coach or assistants shouldn't fix!

Can anyone tell me:
(a) Why Australia didn't pick Josh McQuire as a prop. Heavens knows we need him, and
(b) How does he get to represent Samoa. Was he conceived on a South Pacific cruise?

The Who said:
Can anyone tell me:
(a) Why Australia didn't pick Josh McQuire as a prop. Heavens knows we need him, and
(b) How does he get to represent Samoa. Was he conceived on a South Pacific cruise?

a) dunno

b) McGuire's mother was born in Auckland, New Zealand and is of Samoan descent, making McGuire eligible for Australia, New Zealand and Samoa.

This is where the eligibility rules need to be sorted.

Personally I think that you should only represent the country (or state of its Origin) that you were born in. Stuff this where you grew up or where your parents/grandparents were born crap.

As it is, if I was a player I'd actually be eligible to play for Australia, England, Scotland and Wales because of where I was born and where my parents and grandparents were born. And to me that is total BS.

Just my two cents worth.

I can't agree. What if someone was born in England & moved here as an infant. They would feel that they are Aussie not Pom.

The Who said:
Can anyone tell me:

Well, they call him "P&O" I believe

HoldenV8 said:
This is where the eligibility rules need to be sorted.

Personally I think that you should only represent the country (or state of its Origin) that you were born in. Stuff this where you grew up or where your parents/grandparents were born crap.

As it is, if I was a player I'd actually be eligible to play for Australia, England, Scotland and Wales because of where I was born and where my parents and grandparents were born. And to me that is total BS.

Just my two cents worth.

I tend to agree but I understand that one of the reasons for wanting to play for Australia is money. I understand each player receives $30,000 per Test match whereas Samoa, the other Pacific Nations and New Guinea are probably paid 1/30th of this. If money was equal and all eligible players were available then I believe Samoa could be world champions.

The Who said:
globaleagle said:
looked at it a lot....may be aussie bias but eventually happy with the no try ruling.

Agree 100%

Instant decisons by the ref allow for excitement and tension. Players and fans can all appreciate moments of brilliance.

Stupid 5-minute video conferences by commitee, for every single play, have turned a once great spectacle into gridiron's poor relation
(they hit harder because of helmets & extra protection etc). They also have great cheerleaders and players earn 1,000 times as much as ours.

Ref's make the call (no video), ban the wrestle, allow punching (and adjudicate on it), as we always did and abandon the interchange (back to 4 reserves on the bench). That is not putting anyone's life in danger - u grubby OH&S Legal scum.

Bandit said:
The Who said:
globaleagle said:

Agree 100%

Instant decisons by the ref allow for excitement and tension. Players and fans can all appreciate moments of brilliance.

Stupid 5-minute video conferences by commitee, for every single play, have turned a once great spectacle into gridiron's poor relation
(they hit harder because of helmets & extra protection etc). They also have great cheerleaders and players earn 1,000 times as much as ours.

Ref's make the call (no video), ban the wrestle, allow punching (and adjudicate on it), as we always did and abandon the interchange (back to 4 reserves on the bench). That is not putting anyone's life in danger - u grubby OH&S Legal scum.

Yep, the ONE ref on Sunday made decisions and that was it. He may have gone to the video ref with most of the tries but his initial call was right on all of them.
One thing that was refreshing was that the commentators didn't harp on about any decision that was made on the run, I assume that because it was a live broadcast that was the reason.
Just as an aside, I can't believe that CH 9 aren't showing the NZ v Poms match on Saturday night - to me GEM doesn't count, if they don't show it why can't FOX do it live or on delay?

Let's remove allegiances here.

Can somebody explain in the rules of the game how this is not a try?

NRL or Super League, 95/100 times that is a try. The video ref acknowledges that Hall touches the ball (the only time he does are in the screenshots above), who believes that bull that the ref gave at the time about the football being on the rise? 100% definite try. Hard how anyone can disagree otherwise.

LeedsSeaEagle said:
Let's remove allegiances here.

Can somebody explain in the rules of the game how this is not a try?

NRL or Super League, 95/100 times that is a try. The video ref acknowledges that Hall touches the ball (the only time he does are in the screenshots above), who believes that bull that the ref gave at the time about the football being on the rise? 100% definite try. Hard how anyone can disagree otherwise.

Was obviously one of the 5/100 it's not a try then!
Can you show me a freeze frame of the head on shot as I have my doubts that he touched the ball anyway.

Being in Leeds, maybe I can put a football ( soccer ) spin on it. How many times is there a hand ball claim but the call is "ball to hand not intentional...play on".

An excerpt from Rules of the Game
The try is worth four points and is the primary means of scoring in rugby league. To score a try, the ball must be placed with controlled downward pressure on the goal line (also called the try line) or in the in-goal area between the goal line and the dead ball line using the hand or forearm. This is referred to as grounding the football.

Move on.

The sad thing is that they sent it upstairs to see who had knocked the ball dead, not to check if a try had been scored.

An excerpt from Rules of the Game
The try is worth four points and is the primary means of scoring in rugby league. To score a try, the ball must be placed with controlled downward pressure on the goal line (also called the try line) or in the in-goal area between the goal line and the dead ball line using the hand or forearm. This is referred to as grounding the football.

StuBoot hits the nail on the head.

1. No controlled downward pressure.

2. Using the hand (index or pinky finger is not a hand).

Watching tonight's game, one thing confirmed for me, bring back The Voss.
Great caller. Very entertaining.
Better than some of the other dribble they put up.

Clint said:

Better than that, bring back one referee and leave Voss where he is, he is absolute rubbish.

Ralphie said:
Clint said:

Better than that, bring back one referee and leave Voss where he is, he is absolute rubbish.

He craps all over Hadley Ralphie

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6