Game day V Sharks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Its a trial.....
Manly owned real estate to be up by 20 at half time
I do agree Garrick looked pretty good in attack but it was Kapow early exchanges that stood out....close to 12 hit ups bending the line with 8 offloads.
Forget scores - its a trial - apart from 3 x against the run of play interceptions game was over after 30 minutes
The scary thing for me was the 2nd half expecting them to run over a 3rd grade Shark team, but again- a trial

I thought there was both plenty to like and of course plenty to work on.
Two intercept tries to the sharks and one disallowed to us.
Both teams played plenty of juniors.
Stupid errors like not finding touch for a penalty. Doh!
The scrappiest they looked was in the last ten minutes.
Who is back up fullback for when Tom.T is injured?

Everyone quoted Des and his team as the saviors. I saw nothing different to what I saw last season. Poor defensively. Poor conditioning. Poor intensity.
Last Seasons trail we lost to the Sharks by a bigger margin by 30 points to 14 . That was a 16 point loss as against 6 tonight . That is a first up improvement .
Your poor intensity , poor conditioning and poor defensively is poor reading of the game .
I see lots of potential .

Sorry mate. I'll change it just for you:

Amazing run ! We looked explosive, plugged in, fit, and firing like all the articles in The paper promised us. What a complete turn around from the defensive lapses last season,
with only 30 points scored against, against a 4th string team. Lock in the premiership 2019.

Better?

I'm not happy with the end result, but neither team were putting in 100% so it is completely irrelevent. We could have won easily if we took every penalty that they gave away in front of the posts in the first half. Look there were plenty of dodgy things in that game, but what would be the point revving everyone up to potentially injure themselves. If it was game 1 of the season proper, I would be just as pissed off. It was a dour trial in the pissing rain. Tom Turbo is the only worry.

Anyone want to bring up a thread on trial form from 2008 or. 2011?
Here's one I found:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-swoop-to-snatch-victory-20110226-1b9bx.html

Stewart returns as Sea Eagles swoop to snatch victory
February 27, 2011

Warriors 12 Manly 14

BRETT STEWART has made a successful comeback to rugby league in Manly's 14-12 pre-season trial win over the New Zealand Warriors at North Harbour Stadium in Auckland.

The gifted fullback played 20 minutes against the New Zealand side and declared himself on track to play in his side's round one NRL match against the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park on March 12.

Stewart, returning to the game after consecutive season-ending knee injuries, hadn't played since the first round in 2010.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The 26-year-old said he ''couldn't be happier'' with his cameo appearance and was keen to get some more game time under his belt.

A try to Vic Mauro eight minutes from time gave his side the win.

The Warriors had led for much of the physical encounter but couldn't quite close out the match.

Ahead 6-4 at halftime after a try to second-rower Ben Matulino, the Warriors extended the lead to 12-4 in the 52nd minute when a neat cut-out pass from Feleti Mateo put winger Kevin Locke over in the right corner and James Maloney converted.

However, the Warriors were guilty of failing to complete their sets consistently enough while Manly, benefiting from a superior completion rate, hung in.

The biggest talking point of the first 40 minutes was a high shot on Warriors forward Michael Luck by Manly prop Jason King. It was a tackle that left Luck prostrate and incensed his team-mates and the crowd. A powder keg atmosphere was brewing.

The crowd wanted King to be sent off. He was allowed to stay on but sanity prevailed when Manly coach Des Hasler interchanged him soon after to take the heat off.

Luck was assisted from the field but team doctor John Mayhew said there were no concerns about his state.

King is likely to have cause for concern with the NRL's match review committee certain to take an interest in the tackle which seemed to challenge the bounds of legality.

But with the wind behind them the visitors finished off strongly, taking advantage of a number of errors from their opposition.

Michael Oldfield scored a soft try to get Manly in touching distance and when Mauro scored the decisive try after a handling error from Warriors winger Krisnan Inu, the visitors took the lead.

Manly's other points had come from a first-half try to Jamie Buhrer.

A large crowd of 15,000 watched the match and contributed to the Christchurch earthquake appeal.

But the 14-12 result was of minimal concern to Warriors coach Ivan Cleary as he contemplated the club's season-opener titled the 'Battle of Eden' against a new-look Parramatta side on March 12.

Cleary and his assistant Tony Iro derived much more from a contest that was at times brutal, certainly torrid, and fully tested their players' resolve.

Later Cleary said he had never known the club to have as much competition for spots in his time as coach, stretching back to 2006 and 126 games in charge.

He said he took ''great satisfaction'' from knowing he has several selection posers as the team now counts 13 days to the start of their 2011 campaign. There was great encouragement again in the efforts of new acquisitions Mateo and Shaun Berrigan.

Post automatically merged: [time]1298730636[/time]

http://www.sportal.co.nz/league-news-display/warriors-downed-in-warm-up-113201

Warriors downed in warm-up
26/02/2011 8:56 PM
Matiu Workman
Sportal
The Warriors have had their first true test in the NRL pre-season, pipped 14-12 by the Manly Sea Eagles at North Harbour on Saturday, although that wasn't the worst news for local fans.

Workhorse Michael Luck needed to be assisted off the field after a storming hit from number eight Jason King left the backrower lying on the field, needing the attention of two assistants. It was later revealed, however, there were no concerns for Luck's state.

The match began with a moment of silence for the lives lost in the Christchurch earthquake, and provided a sombre reminder for everyone about the impact of the earthquake on the country as a whole.

The Warriors carried the momentum for the majority of the half, and they were rewarded when Naenae lad Ben Matulino spun from a defender to score beside the posts.

That try sparked the visitors in to action, and after some good build-up work, Jamie Buhrer dotted down near the posts to get the visitors on the board.

Sea Eagles' coach Des Hasler's speech at half time paid dividends when the visitors came out firing, and had the Warriors immediately under the pump.

But against the run of play, lance Hohaia launced a 40m counter-attack that ended with Kevin Locke scoring in the corner to hand the Warriors a 12-4 lead to the delight of the 14,000-strong crowd.

But, just as the Warriors were looking comfortable, Michael Oldfield scored for the visitors to stun the home crowd.

And, with the Warriors' defence starting to tire, the Sea Eagles scored soon after to conjure a two-point lead with eight minutes to go.

It was the Warriors' first test of whether they had the resolve to overcome that deficit, but they failed to fire.

They did have one final opportunity in the last few seconds of the match as Locke streaked down the touchline, but his chip kick to chase was out of reach and the Manly defence held strong.

Post automatically merged: [time]1298730905[/time]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/brett-stewart-in-comeback-cameo/story-e6frfgbo-1226012551216

Brett Stewart in comeback cameo

* Cameron Bell
  * February 26, 2011 8:46PM

* MANLY 14 NEW ZEALAND 12

HE spent longer signing autographs after the game than he did on the field but Manly fullback Brett Stewart is back in business.

After a horror two years, in which he had two serious knee injuries and was acquitted of sexual assault charges only five months ago, Stewart played 20 minutes in his team's victory over the Warriors in Auckland.

After playing only six games since the Sea Eagles' 2008 grand final triumph, Stewart was relieved to have come through unscathed.

"I'm delighted to finally be back on the field and everything is going to plan for the start of the competition," he said in a statement. "I've worked hard with our medical staff over a long period of time and when I jumped on the plane to come over here for the game, I enjoyed every minute of being back in a team environment."

Stewart's first touch came from a scrum, while he also produced a trademark 30m burst.

Coach Des Hasler couldn't have been happier with his Star player's return.

"I'm delighted to have Brett back and our objective was to give him those 20 minutes," Hasler said. "He has come through the game and we look forward to having him fit and ready for round one."

The Warriors led 6-4 at the break and 12-8 inside the final 10 minutes. But the Sea Eagles hit back with eight minutes to go through a try to Vic Mauro, which was converted by young halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, to grab the win.

The match was marred by an all-in brawl in the 27th minute, which resulted in Manly captain Jason King being placed on report after he appeared to shoulder Michael Luck.

MANLY 14 (Jamie Buhrer, Michael Oldfield, Vic Mauro tries, Daly Cherry-Evans 1/3 goals) NEW ZEALAND 12 (Ben Matulino, Kevin Locke tries, James Maloney 2/2 goals)

Last Seasons trail we lost to the Sharks by a bigger margin by 30 points to 14 . That was a 16 point loss as against 6 tonight . That is a first up improvement .
Your poor intensity , poor conditioning and poor defensively is poor reading of the game .
I see lots of potential .

Did you watch the game? If this were Barrett, you'd be all over it. Same as how you rave about Suli being the next big thing, but Kelly was rubbish.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8